Help Quick iPod question

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
A friend and her son were staying here last week, the son got an ipod touch (2G, if that makes a difference) for his birthday while he was here. He saw that I have quite an impressive tv and film collection and wanted to put some of it on his ipod.

Now, I was being a bit of an anti-apple knobber and point blank refused to put iTunes on my nice clean computer. I found a nice little freeware app called CopyTrans Manager, which uses the iPod driver in the iTunes install package and worked just fine for putting some stuff on there (all encoded with HandBrake, which is really very good for that kind of thing).

Now he has gone back home and needs to free up space for all the rubbish apps he wants to download. But when he opens up iTunes he can't see what I put on with CopyTrans. I have never used iTunes so don't know what to suggest, does he need to get CopyTrans in order to delete the stuff and then go back to iTunes to put more stuff on? He has a mac but I think they have a pc there as well (I think CopyTrans is win only). Why can't iTunes just list everything that is on the iPod?

But I still don't have iTunes on my computer, so "every cloud" and all that. :)

Anyway, thanks for any tips.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I use iTunes so i dont know about CopyTrans, but i was under the impressoin that if you upload onto a iPod from a PC with iTunes, then you can only service that iPod with that copy of iTunes, as it sync's itself to the iPod.

If you try using another iTunes then you have to resync the iPod, effectivly wiping it and starting over

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ugh really? His mum put some music onto it from her iTunes before they came out (so it wasn't "happy birthday here's an iPod that has nothing on so you can't use it for 2 weeks!") so I think it's all backed up if the worst comes to the worst. But really? :\ CopyTrans loaded, had a look at the iPod and then just listed the contents under different types (music, videos etc).

iPods are rubbish. :(

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
As i say, i dont know how CopyTrans reads whats already on it, but if his mum has preloaded it, usually it means it has sync'd itself with her iTunes, i maybe wrong.

Can he still play what his mum put on it? if so and your stuff is taking up space, but he cant play it, then he may as well just wipe it and start agian from his mums iTunes

I know people slag iTunes, but i have an iPod and i upload all my cd's onto it from iTunes. its the only app i use to do it, so i have never had a problem with it, but each to thier own i suppose

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I know there are gazillions of happy iPod users, I just don't like the way Apple go about their business generally. I'm not a fan of words like proprietary and closed.

And yes, he can still play the stuff he had on before. I think it will be easier all round to just wipe it and start over. If I was there I might put CopyTrans on their computer just to get some of the stuff that he wants to keep off of it (I put a couple of albums on as well) and then wipe and start again but it's longwinded.

Thanks for the help. :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Serves the little shitbag right!!! :twak:

;)

Malecheon

Fledgling Freddie
If he plugs it into the PC, it should just see it as a storage device as well as trying to launch iTunes. Get him to look at it in windows explorer and see if he can see the files you copied over and remove them that way?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah Itunes is a real pain for that kind of thing. I use a readynas duo as an itunes server for our ipods, so nothing is unrecoverable if we plug an ipod into the wrong machine.

soze

I am a FH squatter
You could try SharePod its a tiny download that lets you pull files on and off the ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom