Quetion about the engage ability

Kenshiro

Loyal Freddie
The question will surely be very stupid i kno but here it is anyway :

what is the engage ability and how does it work? been lvling a hero for some weeks now and couldn't make out what that ability is for :p

any explanation available pls?

tnx in advance.

Armus

Fledgling Freddie
Engage substitutes your attacks in order to block opponent's attacks with your shield (i.e. you will not attack the opponent, but will block any of the opponent's physical attacks). If you use this, the important thing to remember is that if your opponent is being attacked by something else (either someone in your group, or a damage shield cast on you), Engage will not work until that attack stops. Engage also uses a small amount of Endurance whenever you successfully block.

It can be useful in a group situation if you pull more mobs than the group can handle. A tank can gain aggro from some mobs, use Engage (which protects him, and keeps one or more of the mobs occupied, at the expense of taking that tank out of the main fight), the group deals with the other mobs, then the ones being engaged.

Rothzak

Fledgling Freddie
plus its very handy for reactional styles...got a style that you must use after you block? pull, engage, wait till yer char blocks and use it :)

succes! ist op prydwen of op exca dat je speelt? :)

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
I think the main use of the engage abbility is in rvr against archers. When an archer is shooting you just run towards him using the engage abbility, that way he won't be able to hit you with his bow :)

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
if you have shield speced 42+, then you don't really need engage vs arrows, I only use it vs hard tanks waiting for fz reuse timer.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
The main thing I use it for is at high end PvE, for those occasions where you need to stop one thing killing everyone, whilst something else is done to make it vulnerable.

For example, Malamais (sp?) in the Malice encounter, whilst people fill the chests, or Sililia in the Egg of Youth encounter.

Darzil

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
The main thing I use it for is at high end PvE, for those occasions where you need to stop one thing killing everyone, whilst something else is done to make it vulnerable.

For example, Malamais (sp?) in the Malice encounter, whilst people fill the chests, or Sililia in the Egg of Youth encounter.

Darzil

Agreed. a couple more..

Theres a ml7 group step mob that you have to fight for 10 minutes without killing it, so just get a decent tank to taunt it a few times then stick engage on.

Theres a galla boss mob (forget the name) that spawns 3 adds that respawn every time they are killed. Best strategy is to get 3 tanks to engage each of the adds.

Kenshiro

Loyal Freddie
kk tnx all for those explanations !!!
now i get what it is for.

P.S.: Rothzak ik speel op Excalibur :) waarom?

Leathas

Fledgling Freddie
but afaik,engage ability gives only %95 chance to block..Heard some things about sniper specced high WS archers with mariashas arrows breaking engage defence rarely.

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Thegreatest said:
I think the main use of the engage abbility is in rvr against archers. When an archer is shooting you just run towards him using the engage abbility, that way he won't be able to hit you with his bow :)

If you have 50+11 Shield, capped Dex and you're facing him, he shouldn't be able to hit you anyway :)

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Engage adds 75% to your chance to block, I believe.

Which isn't always enough to block all the time, but often is.

One thing I must do is change my spellcrafting on my armour. Nothing more annoying when engaging a big Mob (Sililia for example), and it hits me and suddenly gets a DoT on it, stopping the engage working for a while, so I get him much more. Going all Ablative / Heals, I think !

Darzil

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Darzil said:
Engage adds 75% to your chance to block, I believe.

Which isn't always enough to block all the time, but often is.

One thing I must do is change my spellcrafting on my armour. Nothing more annoying when engaging a big Mob (Sililia for example), and it hits me and suddenly gets a DoT on it, stopping the engage working for a while, so I get him much more. Going all Ablative / Heals, I think !

Darzil
for pve imo, get a heal proccing shield, there's loads of em ;-D

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
reverse procs on shields dont work in pve o_O

never have done never will do afaik

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom