Questions regarding gym's

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I joined a Virgin Gym today. They are gonna get a personal trainer to chat with me next week to go through a training regime etc. I had a question which is probably really easy, so hoped someone here could help.

Because I am diabetic, I would ideally eat my dinner and have less insulin (thus increasing sugar level), but counter this rise by working out.
I know if you eat food, you should wait an hour or so before working out.

Today, I did not have time to wait for dinner, then the hour wait etc etc before heading to the gym. I went beforehand. I had a chocolate bar to give me some energy as I did not want to have a hypo.

My question is this. The chocolate bar was 200 calories and I (according to the machine) burnt off about 250 calories. So how am I going to lose weight if I only burnt an extra 50 calories?
I realise over time I will burn more calories as my stamina improves, but if I have to eat something beforehand, i'm gonna struggle to lose weight?

I am probably completely wrong on all this so apologies for being n00b

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Dropping insulin is a bit tricky, as it could cause other problems(balance issues mostly; REALLY consult your doctor as they know you better then me). Ideally you should counter the exercize with extra food, so do so by less fattening stuff that rises your sugar level.

Glugose candy per example.

Or, one of the best ways is to time the exercize so that you eat what you would regulary eat after the workout(sugar levels don't work with absolutes afterall ;)).

So, before your regular dinner(that you would eat anyway as a diabetic), have the exercise before it. Then your sugar level will drop, but you counter it by the dindin. You work out more, yet eat the same = loss. Always have glugose/chocolate stuff with you though, the drop can be quite sudden for some diabetic bastards :p

For others who might feel the urge to argue: i know f*ck all about exercizing, but i know all f*ck about diabetes ;)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
you won't lose weight all in a second. over time your level of fitness, muscle to fat ratio, etc will change, causing you to burn more, or more efficiently. in fact, you may gain weight, because (iirc) muscles are heavier than fat.

look at the manner in which your body will change shape and what clothes fit you rather than what you weigh.

that said, I *really* need to get back in the gym :(

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Dropping insulin is a bit tricky, as it could cause other problems(balance issues mostly; REALLY consult your doctor as they know you better then me). Ideally you should counter the exercize with extra food, so do so by less fattening stuff that rises your sugar level.

Glugose candy per example.

Or, one of the best ways is to time the exercize so that you eat what you would regulary eat after the workout(sugar levels don't work with absolutes afterall ;)).

So, before your regular dinner(that you would eat anyway as a diabetic), have the exercise before it. Then your sugar level will drop, but you counter it by the dindin. You work out more, yet eat the same = loss. Always have glugose/chocolate stuff with you though, the drop can be quite sucdden for some diabetic bastards :p

Yeah good point Tohtori. I always carry some chocolate in my bag for emergencies

Bahumat

FH is my second home
you won't lose weight all in a second. over time your level of fitness, muscle to fat ratio, etc will change, causing you to burn more, or more efficiently. in fact, you may gain weight, because (iirc) muscles are heavier than fat.

look at the manner in which your body will change shape and what clothes fit you rather than what you weigh.

that said, I *really* need to get back in the gym :(

Ah sorry I wrote that poorly and in a rush. Yup muscle is heavier, plus it's pointless saying "i wanna be 10 stone" because I could be 6ft 10 and would look like a bean pole.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
If you just want to lose weight, go on a diet.

Surely going to the gym is not just about losing weight, its also making you fitter and healthier, and running will improve you cardiovascular(sp) too

Although i have not been since last August, but i did fall off a roof which didnt help :(

gohan

FH is my second home
the thing with excersise is it also increases you're metobolic rate so even after you're done you'll still burn off calories while you're body recovers ect

Bahumat

FH is my second home
the thing with excersise is it also increases you're metobolic rate so even after you're done you'll still burn off calories while you're body recovers ect

Ahh cool, thanks GoHAX!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Bahu, don't get hung up on the reported calorie burn. Infact I'd say ignore it totally, it's an estimation and nothing else, everybody is different. Set yourself goals, maybe decrease your time for a distance run, or increase your distance instead. Use the treadmill or bike on a higher intensity or incline. the results that matter are the ones that make you feel better and look better. Ignore the scales.

As for insulin and diet advice, as a diabetic I would advice you to talk to a gym instructor and also your doctor.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Bahu, don't get hung up on the reported calorie burn. Infact I'd say ignore it totally, it's an estimation and nothing else, everybody is different. Set yourself goals, maybe decrease your time for a distance run, or increase your distance instead. Use the treadmill or bike on a higher intensity or incline. the results that matter are the ones that make you feel better and look better. Ignore the scales.

As for insulin and diet advice, as a diabetic I would advice you to talk to a gym instructor and also your doctor.

Cheers Ch3tan, sound advice!

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
And don't go to a roof top gym. You may fall off.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Vasco, so how comes you always see fat people doing no exercise, but eating salad? It proves salad is bad! :)

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Vasco, so how comes you always see fat people doing no exercise, but eating salad? It proves salad is bad! :)

I guess its the same ppl who drinks coffee with sacharine (spelling? )after a full 3 course lunch, 2 desserts and a frangelico :p

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Whats frangelico? Is it that stuff which makes it hard to hold cups? :)

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Whats frangelico? Is it that stuff which makes it hard to hold cups? :)

frangelico.gif

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yummy, though I am not sure if I like 43 more :/

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
i have also joined a virgin gym this last week :) there pretty good

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Weight lost = 75% diet + 25% aerobics

;)

This.

A good diet combined with exercise for weight loss. There are lots of fat men with big muscles at my gym because they're taking on too many calories.

If you want to lose weight, calorie control is the best way. For my weight, if I jog for 1 hour every day, that would burn about 700 to 800 calories (approximately). A packet of McCoys, one snickers and a 500ml bottle of coke would see that wiped out.

I actually just found out today that playing 9 holes of golf burns around 700 calories; given I love golf then I will probably hit the course than the gym over summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom