Question

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
this is a hypothetical question.

I know selling accounts is illegal, but what if i got bored of the game and gave my RL best mate my account? no money changed hands, tho a pint would be on the cards.

I'm not actually doing this just thinking

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
Any transfer of accounts is illegal(?) as far as the CoC states I think...

But how would they know if it was ya mate and you never ever told anyone, and if someone did find out, you locked them in your basement and fed them only on toenail clippings and your grandmothers earwax. You might get away with it then, assuming your basement didn't fill up because you or your mate couldn't keep quiet about it.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
you could say its a present and iirc its perfectly legal.

its like when you inherit things from people who die, if you gave someone 100 million pounds as a present they get it all, if you inherit the person wealth you have to pay some form of tax on it :(

daoc's a game so they can say "NO" and you cant do anything about it, im just stating what i think is the normal law

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
would be nice is an official type person could answer :)

I'm not actually doing this btw, i spent ages on my chars and their mine muhahaha

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
From the Code of Conduct, bold emphasis mine:
CoC said:
A DAoC account is personal and individual. You cannot open an account in the name of a company, an association or any other legal entity without express prior written consent from GOA. You are also not entitled to give, sell, lease, lend or exchange your account under any circumstances. No virtual object, character or currency in the game may be the object of a pecuniary transaction, under any form or circumstances. Any activity of this kind may result in the application of various sanctions, including termination of the account.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
cool, just couldnt check CoC from work, thats all i needed to know

What if i was still paying for it?

and yes i am bored

Braleden

Fledgling Freddie
I think all these things are get awayable with, in the end if there getting more money and your not upsetting anyone in the game< by pretending to be your friend and then ripping off items/money> then they have better things to do with there time. Theres two things to be careful of tho, 1 is that now matter thow long you have the account your friend can always get the account back. 2 they have a easy reason to terminate the account if you cause trouble.

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Sparx said:
cool, just couldnt check CoC from work, thats all i needed to know

What if i was still paying for it?

and yes i am bored
Falls under lending. :p

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Just do it

GOA can't really find out about it anyhow, even if the connection to your account comes from a different IP address it could still be you. And if they cut off any account whereby the connection came from a different location then a hell of a lot of accounts would get closed, goa would loose a lot of custom and mythic would probably take over the servers after deciding goa were being too harsh.

But thats fantasy talk :(

remi

Fledgling Freddie
just do it. if u get scammed and such, dont go crying to GOA tho

Nomans Land

One of Freddy's beloved
Didnt he say he didnt actually want to do this and he was just wondering?

Yet the last two, and a few other, posts are telling him to do it lol.

;) hidden motive

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
From the Herald:

http://www.camelotherald.com/more/1439.shtml

Who is the character transfer procedure designed for?

The character transfer procedure is designed for those individuals who share an account with multiple characters on them and wish to play together at the same time. With the character transfer ability, one will be able to transfer their character(s) from their existing account to a brand new account on the same server without losing any of their character(s) data and progress. At this point both users will be able to play Dark Age of Camelot at the same time using separate accounts.

Seems pretty clear to me.

And yes, I`m aware that this is US and that character transfer isn´t alive on EU. Just want to point out that Mythic has a different stance than GoA there obviously.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Bahumat said:
its like when you inherit things from people who die, if you gave someone 100 million pounds as a present they get it all, if you inherit the person wealth you have to pay some form of tax on it :(

Under UK law, your estate is subject to Inheritance Tax ("IHT") at 40% if its value is over GBP 275,000. If you want to avoid (not "evade", which is illegal) paying IHT on gifts, you have to survive for seven years after making the gift.

Re DAOC, I've a feeling that ANY unauthorised transfer of your account, whether for consideration or gratis is against the rules. If in doubt check with Mythic / GoA (or whoever).

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
like i say i'm not actually doing it, was just curious thats all

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Just for the record, selling, transfering, lending etc, isnt against the *law* and isnt *illegal* - it is against the GOA CoC and will get your account banned or suspended. You can never face criminal charges for it etc.

Law is the rules of a country, while the CoC is the rules you accept to abide by while playing a mmorpg game on a companies servers. Companies do not make up law. Its similar to going to a fancy restaurant where you must wear a tie f.ex. but you refuse and they tell you to leave the establishment. You havent broken any law, just their rules.

Just gets me annoyed when people speak of "illegal" actions etc when talking about these kind of things :)

Deepflame

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
Under UK law, your estate is subject to Inheritance Tax ("IHT") at 40% if its value is over GBP 275,000. If you want to avoid (not "evade", which is illegal) paying IHT on gifts, you have to survive for seven years after making the gift.
And thus, if you die, you have to give the government 40% of your plat, almost half your items and 4 of the 10 characters you had. :p (Provided you have more than 275.000 gold. (275 plat)!)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Deepflame said:
And thus, if you die, you have to give the government 40% of your plat, almost half your items and 4 of the 10 characters you had. :p (Provided you have more than 275.000 gold. (275 plat)!)

LOL ! nice 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom