question the need for a test server

O

old.keneda

ok 1st of all this isnt a rant or a flame, just a few thoughts that occurred to me today...

i am finding it hard to see why we need a test server.
2nd: Gorr has been up a week and already changed languages once, for reasons i dont know or care about, there is no way (that i can see) for players to contact GOA about any problems they find on the test server so why waste time having it?

all our patches come from mythic who already know how to fix any patch bugs that might occur and these bugs will (i assume) be passed on to GOA to make thier lives a little easier (if not then something is seriously wrong).

now i realise the translation is time consuming, and so far i am quite happy playing the game as it is. but why waste time with an extra server with the newest updates? it just doesnt make sense. wouldnt it be more productive to remove Gorr server and channel the techies energy into the patch for the proper servers?

it seems GOA is more concerned with Gorr than the REAL servers at the moment....

i for one will not be playing on test server, for the simple fact that if they change the language every 2 days (which seems the case here) i wont be able to play anyways. they also stated we would get the newer patches earlier, but if they change the languages all the dammn time you will be getting gibberish anyways and wont be able to play with your second mythic game file on normal servers... correct me if i am wrong please :)

if GOA feel Gorr can handle the patches they should be live on the normal servers already in my opinion. already allot of people are leaving for US version because of thier constant delays. it a shame to loose good people for such simple things.

at the current rate we have had 2 patches in 6 months (least i think so, i might be a bit dottled but i cant be far off) so to get up to speed with the american servers this would take pretty much 2 years from now....and that is only if 1.48 does actually get to us in june as they said.

please comment and/or correct me because i would like to know what other people think about it.

flamers need not apply
:)

O

old.yaruar

QA is a complicated process with a lot of code.

There will be compilation problems, syntax problems, etc, etc.
They could leave it closed, but a used server can more readily show problems based on the interactive elements.

Test servers are not for long term play, they are for testing code under different environments, the code will be debugged and tweaked and updated. To make this efficient they can run the different language compiles whils debugging other code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom