Question: Radeon 9600

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
Hey Chaps

OK, silly question... I'm looking at upgrading my (well, mine AND the wifes!) graphics cards. Our local computer shop currently has a few on special offer, so I have the last two put aside.

Before I go out, has anyone had any experience with one? Good, Bad, problems? If it comes to it I'll go for something else, but any info would be great :D

Cheers!

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm, no edit button?

Anyways, it's this one.

Edit: OK, there's no edit button on my first post, but there is one on this post? Oddness prevails!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
9600 are ok afaik .. not got one personally but seen nice reviews about them ...

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
I think thats what I have, 9600, runs alright for DAoC, tho I turn off the ToA terrian, seems to lag me, but prob something else thats slowing my computer down with that.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
9600s are OK but I would REALLY look for the cheapest. If you want a midrange card a GeForce 5900XT based card is much better. Only costs a little more.

poisono

Fledgling Freddie
How much are you talking here?

If you can spair £100 per card, I would get a 9800 SE or Pro (Original) If I was you....

the Radeon9600 supports all current games and is a good card imo :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
the_hermit said:
Hmmm, no edit button?

Edit: OK, there's no edit button on my first post, but there is one on this post? Oddness prevails!

can only edit a post 10 minutes after making it.....

and id say that the 9600SE or pro is the better choice to... and not that much more expensive either...

SeeN

Fledgling Freddie
I have had nothing but problems with my Radeon 9600pro card.

DAOC is simply green. Its like a big piece of green film has been placed over the screen giving everything a green color overlayer.

It is really ugly and annoying to watch.

Have reinstalled both game and windows several times and had several different drivers.

ATI and the manufacturer of the card has concluded that its an error in DAOC, Mythic/Goa says its an error on the card.

I am never ever gonna get a ATI card again!

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
The 9600 cards were nice, but they're 2 generations old now. I wouldn't recommend upgrading to one unless your budget is strictly limited. If you do, look for the 9600XT cards which are slightly faster than the Pros.

9800SE is about the same speed as a 9600XT in most applications, and should have more features, depending on which model you buy.

How much are you looking to pay for the new cards? I'd recommend saving a little extra and going for a 9800Pro or at least a 9600XT.

the_hermit

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the help guys :D Definietly one of the nicest DAoC sections! :clap:

Anyways - we settled for the 9600XTs, and after much strenuous testing (read, three accounts on one PC!) I am very impressed! Of course, the chap at PCWorld had NO idea what I was on about when I turned up with all these scraps of paper with notes from this thread... He had never heard of the 9600XT, despite standing next to it with me...

"You mean this one mate?" I asked the baffled lad... I swear, they get younger and younger in there! :D

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom