Question on PVP from non beta player

Raine

Fledgling Freddie
A question about the contested zones - PVP. Ive not played beta yet.

Can a lvl 20ish class travel the contested zone to the other side to pick a fight? or assuming the contested zone becomes harder with pve mobs for exp purposes you will not see any lowish/equal NME's about at first. I ask only cause if high lvl players can only travel across im worried about 'Grey Ganking' when they game goes live and you see those 24/7 players gain crazy lvls in a few days ;) . Sure there will always be Grey Ganking to some degree in any PVP type of game its just as it being a new game I dont want it to ruin my WoW experience.

Also how does PVP servers on WoW differ from DAOC - PVP servers, tbh most MMORPG's pvp servers have had population issues due to the fact of high lvls killing low lvls making it boring to lvl etc.

I suppose what im asking is as I enjoy both PVE (learning and exploring the universe and my chosen class) and PVP (Challenging PVP as in I/they won fairly) equally what server type should I play.

Perhaps some players who tried the U.S beta out can give some information on how life was for them on the PVP servers.

Heh im going to chill out and just play the damn final beta im taking it alittle to serious, laters :)

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Haven't played the PvP servers meself but I'd assume that level 20 or so players could get across the contested zones easily enough to pick fights, someone else is bound to know better though :)

About the grey ganking thing, Blizz put in a method of reducing it via an 'honour' system, if the player someone kills is a certain number of levels below them (don't what it is in all honesty) then that counts as a dishonourable kill, these accumulate and affect the character in such a way that their own merchants will refuse to trade with them and possibly even friendly town guards won't be so friendly anymore ;) etc. Hopefully things like that will reduce it somewhat...of course there'll still be people bombing about slaughtering newbies but that was bound to happen anyway :)

Then again, these are things I just hear on the grapevine and may not be strictly true :p

Aada

Part of the furniture
I can assure you, you wont be going anywhere near contested territorys until very high 20's.

I dont recommend going into those zones because for obvious reasons the mobs there are pretty tough for lvl 20s.

The barrens will be your home for a damn good 10 lvls or so and you will come across the odd alliance Nightelf but they will be quickly ganked i assure you :p

Yes there will be grey ganking there is alot of grey ganking at the moment but thats because its new etc.

My advise is dont start pvp until lvl 25+ you dont get rewards atm for it anyway so just concentrate on lvls.

I would'nt really call the pvp servers pvp because its pretty much a carebear land its not like DAOC pvp anyway its alot easier.

Raine

Fledgling Freddie
The 'dishonor' system has been ruled out according from what I read today as the negative aspects out weigh the positive. So if 'grey ganking' is happening alot atm, its going unpunished.

lekkus

Fledgling Freddie
Went to the contested zone's and crossed 'their' borders at 18 solo. It isnt too 'hard' (don't open spider eggs btw :eek:) but not very effective at that lvl :). Also there are several horde/ alliance outpost you can reach with a gryphon/ zeppelin which makes visiting the opposite side a breeze. Horde has 1 at Zoram Strand for example which brings you as good as in the lowbies area (lvl 10-20), which you can't kill unless they attack you (isnt too hard too accomplish, just wait till they pull a mob and wander by..they will most likely target you while fighting and voila..gank :p). Atm there is still a bug (I pressume) where you can communicate with the opposite side with emotes but that should be fixed soon I guess.

There are no dishonourable kills btw ..only if you kill lower npc's. Can kill lower lvl's over and over atm. (in the contested zones or if they keep attacking you in their own zone). Killing npc's with a similar level lvl as you is a honorable kill.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Ah well, seemed like a good idea but not unexpected that it was cancelled:p

Still, t'is a FvF (Faction vs Faction) server at the end of the day I guess, anyone's game.

lekkus

Fledgling Freddie
FuzzyLogic said:
Ah well, seemed like a good idea but not unexpected that it was cancelled:p

Still, t'is a FvF (Faction vs Faction) server at the end of the day I guess, anyone's game.
Blizard said:
We apologize for previous statements to the contrary. We had planned on a PvP dishonorable kill system, but after basic implementation and analysis, the system was deemed restrictive and took away from the PvP experience, rather than added to it.

In the future, we will provide more widespread announcements regarding any changes made to the PvP system, or any system that affects a large number of players.

.. :)

Natsume sai

Fledgling Freddie
aww man

aww man... bummer! is the honersystem really ruled off? and can you send some kind of link to confirm it?
i thougth it was a brillient idea... you know too reward PvP'ing.. and prevent group ganking by high level players...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
if you can tag along to a raid then you can get into enemy territory relatively easy, i was wandering around the human starter zone with my lvl 14 tauren druid so its not impossible, just damn hard :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom