Question about SIM cards etc

milou

Part of the furniture
Both my son and I have pay monthly BT mobiles. He's been a bit mad with his phone so I would like to cancel my contract (which I've had for years), take over his contract and then get a pay-as-you-go SIM for him. Would it be technically possible for him to use that SIM in a pay monthly phone? Mine is a Sony T610 and his is a Samsung E700. I assume it would be but would appreciate any advice etc.

Cheers

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Yes, that should be fine, it was only with the old Genie phones that the handset would be locked to a particular sim, as long as you get him a prepay card for the same network he was contracted to you should have no problems.

One thing though is the number - you'll end up with his number and he'll have a new one - are you sure you'll want to do that? heh - you could end up with all manner of late night calls and SMS from his friends ;)

Xav

milou

Part of the furniture
Cheers - much appreciated :)

(and you're right, I don't fancy 700 text messages in a month - the amount he sent last month - in 14yr old txt speak so I've told him he'll need to text his pals with the new number)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Just to get an idea, what kind of costs have you been seeing?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Most operators(atleast in teh mobile capitol, finland rah!) can set a limit into a normal contract. Like 20€ a month or so. Should ask about that before hazzling with other contracts.

milou

Part of the furniture
Tom said:
Just to get an idea, what kind of costs have you been seeing?

I pay £25pm for 500 off-peak mins & 500 texts - usually he's within that limit but this month the bill was £114 - this included an extra £45 of calls (peak-time), extra £20 on texts, £9 on premium text messages received and dear old VAT etc.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
3G offers £25 per month for 500 anytime x-network minutes, with a free phone (the new one is the LG8110, clamshell, and the first 3G phone thats not a brick). I don't know their text prices, but you can buy x texts per month from them. They're not perfect, but you would save yourself a packet on peak calling.

www.three.co.uk

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Do what the seal said, set a £25 limit on his account. As soon as he reaches that then he can do no more damage a month.

milou

Part of the furniture
Cheers.

I've e-mailed 02 (as the enquiry line is constantly enagaged) asking if all peak-rate calls and off-peak calls (after the 500 mins are used) can be barred along with a limit on texts.

Gray

FH is my second home
Now, with o2, there isnt unfortunatly a "limit". They did away with that a few months ago for contracted accounts, so i would think the same for Prepay as well.

Customers not happy about this "Well, i was told if i went over my 200mins my would would automatically bar itself" <- This is after using the phone for 1000mins, thus whacking up £600 bill :/.

If texts are an issue, go with Bolt Ons

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Thats a surefire way for o2 to lose contracts from parents with children. Exactly as milou is doing.

milou

Part of the furniture
Mail just arrived:

Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Service.

Unfortunately we do not support the text capping offer. As we are an
online service we do not provide the ability to cap phone calls or
text messages. I apologise for this but I am sure if we are likely to
provide this in the future either.

However, you can always keep a track of your call minutes and number of
text messages used by visiting the 'Unbilled Usage' option on your O2
online bill.

Unbilled Usage is calculated regularly for each user, but can be up to
5 days behind real time. If you have been abroad recently, your
unbilled details will usually not show calls made or received until we have
received the information from the network you were using. This can take
several weeks and is beyond our control.

Unbilled usage is split into two areas:

- Unbilled summary - this is an overview of the number of messages
sent and duration of calls made since your last bill was produced.

- Unbilled details - this shows details of calls and messages used
since your last bill was produced.

If you need further information regarding this matter, please reply to
this email. For further details about O2, please visit our online Help
Centre at:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help

Kind regards,

Anish Joy
O2 Customer Service.

Yes I know I can track unbilled calls but it's a bit pointless if I can only do that 5 days afterwards.A pay-as-you-go SIM for my son it is then.

Cheers for your help :)

Gray

FH is my second home
Hmmm, should be 48hrs :/, guess different areas of o2 are also different

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom