Question about College

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I was just wondering if college is more like school, or university?

Basically, do you just keep your head down whilst the teacher preaches to a big class, and then you go away do the work and seek him/her out for help....

...Or is it where your asked questions in class, and have to contribute to discussions, kinda like school.

Cheers. :)

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
More like school than college, except you can skip more lessons if you want, but you do have to contribute, do exercise, homework etc. A lot less freedom than uni but still better than school was.
BUt i guess it also depends a lot on the college.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Mobius said:
I was just wondering if college is more like school, or university?

Basically, do you just keep your head down whilst the teacher preaches to a big class, and then you go away do the work and seek him/her out for help....

...Or is it where your asked questions in class, and have to contribute to discussions, kinda like school.

Cheers. :)

Both. From my dim and distant memories of day release BTEC engineering, some classes were small, almost one on one (especially labs), others were huge with several classes brought together, and more like Uni in that respect. Having been to School, College of FE, College of HE, Uni (undergrad) and Uni (postgrad), I don't think you can talk in generalisations about 'college v. uni v. school' - I saw similarities and differences all over the place.

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
I found it was more like school because they tell your parents if you skip classes and have parents evenings, reports etc. Regarding how much input to give to teachers I think that really depends on the class size. Some of my college classes only had 3 or 4 people so there would be a lot of banter with the teacher which is impossible in a lecture hall with 100+ people, but at Uni you usually have tutorials with fewer people where you can get the discussion going.

My personal rule (ideal is probably a better word) is that if you don't understand something or have a good question then shout it out no matter what the class size is. I often hold back and always regret it just because I don't want to feel like a tool.

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
i found college to much like school for my liking so i left and became an apprentice with some training people liking it much more, but then it probably does make a huge difference what college it is etc :)

moomin

Fledgling Freddie
definately more like school, but with more drukenness

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Damn, I hoped you would say its like Uni. My main reason for bunking school so often is that I hate interacting with the class. I feel so intimidated by all the smart people around me, wish I could just keep my head down. Guess I'm gonna try an apprenticeship then. Ty dudes.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I found college a breeze tbh, alot more relaxed than school, college is kinda like Uni in a certain respect. first few weeks/month at both you feel you have to attend all the classes.

As the year goes on you start to know which lessons u can chill out in and which you need to pay attention in.

I would say give college ago some of my closest friends today are the people I met at college.

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
Mobius said:
Damn, I hoped you would say its like Uni. My main reason for bunking school so often is that I hate interacting with the class. I feel so intimidated by all the smart people around me, wish I could just keep my head down. Guess I'm gonna try an apprenticeship then. Ty dudes.

m8 you shouldnt feel intimidated

Anyone who thinks they are smart usually isnt, theres nothing wrong with speaking with the class and things, uni is also the same.

A lot of times throughout my course we were expected to give presentations and talks to our fellow class mates and also to participate in small groups for projects etc.

Your not really going to get very far until you get over your fear of looking silly, as the wisest men said theres no such thing as a silly question and also you cant fail if you listen and remember really

If i were you I would go to wherever your grades let you get to, uni or college are both good, just uni tends to be faster to get you a career. Also dont forget your just a kid just now, hell im still a kid just now, youve loads to learn and one of those things is confidence.

just my 2c :)

Damini

Part of the furniture
Don't let yourself be intimidated. I consider myself an intelligent woman, but in class I've never had any qualms about putting my hand up and asking if I don't understand something. I've never had anyone laugh or make judgement, and even if they were the type of person to do that, then I wouldn't care because I'm content with my own IQ, and if I don't know something then it's fine. It's not like we can just rest our head on a book and absorb infomation by osmosis. We need to be taught, or self teach, to get these things.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Well I handed in my college application, won't start until September though. Kinda nervous. I've been at my current school from the age of 12 to 18, can't imagine going anywhere else. Now I just have to finish 6th form *Sigh*

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
college is nothing like school. the lecturers dont really give a toss whether you attend classes and will not chase up on you and look after you as they did when you were at school.

You are meant to be grown up and should be responsible for attendance and completing assignments.

jaba

Fledgling Freddie
ok, im confused, I did 6th form, then I went to university....what exactly do you mean by college?

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
college is the thingy thats teaches HNC, HND and highers and standard grades

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I thought Sixth form was college, but at a high school, kinda an extension (year 12/13) Whereas college is a building with way more subject choices and entirely different people. Uni is what comes after. :)

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
iwent to a HE (or FE? i forget now) college; which was for 16-18 year olds and offered a levels and some other things.

bollocks to feeling nervous! go speak to your teacher after class !

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
I went to Worcester Sixth Form College which did almost exclusively A-Levels so that's the sort of college I thought you were talking about. Can only blame our confusing educational system for the misunderstandings.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
college is like college. It depends if its a 6th form or not, and each individual one will be different.

venus

Fledgling Freddie
Education in college is based on what they call 'adult learning' basically what they mean by this is that you will learn as much as you want to learn, if you cant be bothered to turn up to classes then that’s your problem etc etc. The difference between this and school is that the classes tend to be fairly informal and they like you to almost self teach, by contributing to the lesson. Most college courses also involve giving presentations etc. The difference between this and uni is that generally the classes are very big and the lectures tend to be more formal. You are bound to feel anxious at the moment but once you are there, and have sussed things out you will feel much more at ease. As for feeling anxious about speaking in front of people... well hopefully this will get easier at the end of the day the college are there to (supposedly) prepare you for working life. Therefore they should work on things like this with you, because the day may come when you have to give a presentation as part of your employment, and you will need to be prepared for that. Don’t look at it as a negative thing but just something that you need to learn how to do. Oh and don’t forget to have fun !!!! :)

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Mobius, only one piece of advice.
There is no such thing as a stupid question.
Everyone does not know different things, some may appear blindingly obvious to you as you ask the question, I find that a lot. But if you don't ask you will never know, and it is always better to know, unless of course your asking your girlfriend to compare you with some other bloke and she says, 'do you want me to tell you the truth' then you say no thank you, pander to my fantastic theories.

I am pished, have a good weekend

later

gengee

Tilda

Mobius said:
Well I handed in my college application, won't start until September though. Kinda nervous. I've been at my current school from the age of 12 to 18, can't imagine going anywhere else. Now I just have to finish 6th form *Sigh*
In some ways Mobius, I was similar to you, at school i'd had a nice, small, close knit school where everybody was really nice and friendly. When I came to uni I was absolutly shitting myself, i've never been so scared in my life. But its all turned out really well, and i'm as happy here, if not happier than I was at home.

Tilda

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom