Question about ADSL

G

Gabrial

Quick one:

Im going to my brothers house in London but he doesnt have ADSL. He will have a BT line by then so I was wondering, if I take my computer down there and plug my microfilter and ADSL modem into his BT line, what are the chances I can dial my ADSL provider on his existing line?

G

Gabrial

Ah.

From what I had read (my understanding is not great) there might not need to be anything done to a phone line to make it capable of taking ADSL? Im guessing my understanding is wrong?:)

Y

~YuckFou~

The line needs to be ADSL "enabled" at the exchange. You don't dial your provider, you logon like a network, not a dial up. If you check your Modem properties you will see that for "number dialled" it will probably say "0".

G

Gabrial

Yeah I read about that but wasnt sure about if anything needed turning on at the exchange. Is that done on a line by line basis or street by street etc.?

N

nath

Both, kinda.

The exchange has to be ADSL enabled, so that'll be for your local area. Then each individual line has to be enabled for it too.

G

Gabrial

The area I think (using the line checker and postcode checked on line) should be OK.

The trouble is, BT are being a bit slow. He is with cable at the moment and has no BT line so last week he called to enquire about reconnecting and getting ADSL (he cannot get cable broadband). However, BT said they need to send an engineer out before they reconnect him to BT and they wont start the broadband process rolling until he has a BT line in place!

Just to get the engineer to come to check his line before reconnecting to BT will take nearly 2 weeks - we were hoping to link machines up and share an internet connection to play online but I guess its a non starter for a while:(

C

Clowneh!

ok, so what if...
- the line is enabled
- the exchange is enabled

could u log into ur ADSL from somewhere else, like you can with 56k?

G

Gabrial

Tried it and yes you can it seems Clowneh.

M

Mellow-

ADSL is not dependent on a specific line, it's dependent on the hardware on each end being configured correctly. (probably)

K

kcwan

?

Why would you want to login to your account from your brothers house?

If he has ADSL enabled you just use his line? If he was on 56k and you used his line he would be paying for your hours online, but on ADSL he doesn't get charged. So due to the no cost implication it's more logical to use his ADSL account.

Back to the technicalities, no you can't connect to your ADSL account from a different phone number, even if your brother is ADSL enabled with his ISP, as only one ISP can be registered to one phone number.

D

danger

yes kcwan has it down to a tea... your line will automatically be routed to a particular ISP once it's set up... that's why you have to undergo a migration procedure if you wish to change ISP... but as said why would you want to use your ADSL account from someone elses place... there's no advantage to it whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom