Query about bandwidth caps, and long distance playing!

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
I moved to Australia, so if I continued to play on EU servers, would I lag? I'm on I don't get my computer back for 4 weeks, but I'm just curious. Also I now have 7gb monthly dl limit. How much is used playing computer games? Is it even noticeable?

Heres my speedtest thing. Will I have problems playing DAOC from Australia or will I be okay? Ty!

Download:497,936 bpsUpload:106,664 bpsQOS:96%RTT:247 msMaxPause:187 ms

Puri

One of Freddy's beloved
Try pinging the euro servers, see what you get. Think it's 193.252.123.177 or 193.252.123.33 for the cluster, can't remember by heart.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
popa said:
LOL what type of ISP is that

Thanks for the link. They are kind of behind the times with internet over here. ;/ Plus I live in like a rainforest now. :|

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
pingplog9lj.jpg

Good/bad?

MadsKaizer

Fledgling Freddie
I once played daoc on a line with 2gb limit, and it was enough for a months play, could also surf and download some.

about your pingplot, seems your average ping will be 350, so about a third of a second in delay, about the 4 lines with 100% packetloss... there is no ip, so dont know if it counts...

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
I tried logging in once from china, and it was really bad. The packet loss was impossible to play with, but that could be slightly better in Aus, but latency would be worse there I imagine

old.windforce

Part of the furniture
roll a caster :p

no1 can hit hit you

but on a mor eserious note: if your ping doesn't get worse then that you should be ok

I played daoc with a 33K6 a few nights and i worked fine (been more then a year though)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
MadsKaizer said:
I once played daoc on a line with 2gb limit, and it was enough for a months play, could also surf and download some.

about your pingplot, seems your average ping will be 350, so about a third of a second in delay, about the 4 lines with 100% packetloss... there is no ip, so dont know if it counts...
it doesnt, the routers block all pings afaik (requil said not to far back i believe)
also i did a quick check and daoc didnt go over 2kb/s so 7200kbish per hr, seeing as you have 1,074,000,00ish kb in 1 gig i dont think you have anything to worry about bandwidth wise :p

Edit: you also might want to remove your ip from the ping plot 211.x.x.x

eble

Fledgling Freddie
I play from Adelaide South Australia and have done for the last two years.

My ping is about the same avg 340ms.

even with a lot of playing you wont get any where near you download limit.

I duel log and have no problems whatso ever.

When I first got here, i'm not joking but I used dial up for 6 months, when duel logg'd and the game was still playable away from zergs.

You will suffer from packet loss but that has the added advantage and see people floating through the air round keeps and bridges so you can shoot them.

I found the best char for me to play was my ranger, less problems with lagg and the like tried my NS and other melee classes a fair bit but missed too many combos for that to work.

You should look into adsl 2 packages they are just coming out here, i'm on one locally here its costs $35.00 for 24000k/1000k speeds 24meg down/1meg up 5gig monthly limit which is fine through adaminternet.com.au

Eble

eble

Fledgling Freddie
Mobius said:
Thanks for the link. They are kind of behind the times with internet over here. ;/ Plus I live in like a rainforest now. :|

you haven't checked everything out yet mate dont judge it.

I pay about 14 pounds for a 24000k/1000k, not heard of that in the UK yet.
ok so I got a download limit of 5gig but thats all i need, for about 23 pounds I can get a 40+ gig download limit.

Plus if you able to get cable over here its uncapped download speed limits, and no download caps. forget you 4meg download speeds here.

Eble

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
eble said:
you haven't checked everything out yet mate dont judge it.

I pay about 14 pounds for a 24000k/1000k, not heard of that in the UK yet.

What ISP is that? I looked around and there weren't that many good deals to be honest. I'm in quite a residential area as well. I had to get DSL as cable wasn't available to me. I'll be here for 6 months at least, but hopefully my permanent house will be closer to civilisation once we buy it. :p

Thanks for the info guys, seems it should work okay.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
I also play from Adeliade, i have to say the middle icon on the perf meter is almost always yellow with occansional bursts of green, there is a lag but i dont even notice the it anymore and i can play fine, elbe is right tho melee classes are harder to play with the lag but it can be done.

I am on 1.5 meg broadband i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom