Quake 4 sound problem?

Hi, I've just bought quake 4 (late starter) installed it yesterday and it was all fine.. but when i play online my sounds really bad... like when i pick up haste... it will repeat itself 3-4 times and like ha...ha...hast....haste :/ anyone got any ideas? its just online it does this

ECA

I am a FH squatter
The sound engine for Q4 is SHODDY, you really need openAL hardware to get a good sound from Q4.

ah i see... well i tried something and this is really odd.... as i said the sound stutters when i have around 63fps or so.... but... when i ran fraps and tried to record quake 4 it dropped my fps to 22 or so ;/ yet sound was fine... i really dont get why either its doing my head in trying to think why its doing that

Sar

Part of the furniture
ECA said:
The sound engine for Q4 is SHODDY, you really need openAL hardware to get a good sound from Q4.

And even at that, unless you have a VERY recent soundcard (IE an X-Fi) then even AL is shit.

I have an Audigy 2 ZS and the sound cuts out and repeats as well. And the positional audio is wank - it cuts from one direction directly the next, no smooth graduation of direction when you turn from an audio source...

GG id/Raven :/

Sar said:
And even at that, unless you have a VERY recent soundcard (IE an X-Fi) then even AL is shit.

I have an Audigy 2 ZS and the sound cuts out and repeats as well. And the positional audio is wank - it cuts from one direction directly the next, no smooth graduation of direction when you turn from an audio source...

GG id/Raven :/

Agree :/ it only does it on mp tho which is what i find even stranger ://///

Requ!em

Fledgling Freddie
Enter the following in the console, which one (if any) stops the stuttering?

s_useOpenAL = "0"
s_restart

then

s_useOpenAL = "1"
s_restart

You might also want to check that s_numberOfSpeakers and s_maxChannelsMixed are set correctly for your hardware. Try:

seta s_numberOfSpeakers "2"
seta s_maxChannelsMixed "24"
s_restart

Kryten

Old Cow.
Just thought I'd point out I have an Audigy 2 ZS and have absolutely no issues : then again, I am using OpenAL too.
Also no issues using openAL on my Soundstorm onboard either : I'm suspecting it's therefore not down to the hardware involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom