Quake 4 Preview - First Thoughts? -

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
I can't help but think it does look a bit "Doomy", will see eh. By and large I think the preview rocked. :worthy:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Any danger of actually linking to something?

UndyingAngel

Can't get enough of FH
From what I know the Quake 4 engine is a Modded Doom3 Engine.. but this is not suprise as they are from the same company..

Quake 4 Info

A pic below.. is early development and yes looks very much like doom3, but this could change ofc. :)

531883_20050509_screen001.jpg

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
caLLous said:
Any danger of actually linking to something?

Yeah no worries. :twak: :)

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Quake+4&meta=

You might also want to pop by the Raven Quake 4 forums and the official Quake 4 page. Links for the preview can be found there.

http://www.quake4game.com/
http://forums.ravensoft.com/ib/ikonboard.pl?;act=SC;c=4

I am well impressed with the look of it so far, I am such a fan boy that if JC shit in a bag and called it a game I'd probably buy it. The single player game looks like theatre of epic proportions, I just hope the multiplayer aspect will cut the mustard.

I know people are more than likely to redirect you over to the 2006 Quake Wars release being made by Splash Damage as a solid Quaking MP experience and the demo does indeed rock.. but I still want to see a solid multiplayer experience from Q4, no if but's or maybes it has to be there imo. By solid I mean good solid basic gametypes. DM, CTF, TDM & TN games.

Modifications are still up for debate.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Sod SP game, they can tack that on after for all I care, just give me a solid MP game with uber netcode, a good range of cfg options, a great SDK so we get good mods.

Oh, and Rocket Arena 4 please :)

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
My story is like this, I didn't really give a shit about the SP game all I was concerned about was having a solid Q4 multiplayer experience, until I played Doom 3 and saw what the engine is capable of, amazing is an understatement. Now with Quake 4 being an enhanced version of the D3 engine I am sure the SP experience will be above par vs most FPS's out at the moment or scheduled for release. But...

I still have a lot of concerns over the quality of the MP product when you consider that Q3 was 95% a multiplayer game and is still be being played nearly six years later, testimony to a great product I think you will agree? The difference between then and now is the time difference between releases, there was already a hungry Quake MP audience that wanted a more refined MP game and id pulled a master stroke with Q3 in my opinion. I am gob smacked at Tim Willets comments recently tbh, stating that Q3 was his biggest mistake claiming it wasn't user friendly enough and didn't appeal to as wide an audience, Jesus in my opinion Q3 was as user friendly as they come vs Q1! Released during a time when Quaking was at fever pitch it made perfect sense, considering Tim Willets is liasing with Raven these kind of comments made publicly give you an incite into what must be being discussed behind closed doors.

Raven will have a hard task ahead of them to recreate the phenomenon that is/was and will always be Quake 3 but I also see the need to create a solid SP product that will tickle the imagination of a whole new community of Quake players and old alike, this will hopefully be the catalyst for another successful 6+ years of Quake MP heaven.

That aside I am concerned there will be more emphasis placed on Quake Wars as 'the' Quake influenced Multiplayer product vs what Q4 should be. Quake Wars does definitely look as though it will have a more commercial appeal to GSP's. Someone here might be able to correct my assumption? All this is speculation and subject to debate at the moment but I have a feelin' in ma bones!

I think there is plenty of room to give the community a more developed MP package from the box and I also hope that there will be a full range of SDK kits to accompany the release. RA4 would rock, 3 Wave and Freeze Tag also.

Whez

Loyal Freddie
Just add a decent CTF mode + grapple like QWCTF and i'll be happy :]

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Should have just stopped after "Solid" Quakeworld. As indeed a nice Solid game that was. The solid experience was well .... solid.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
That's quite a soild experience, would you care to elaborate on why QW owns all at weapon balance and gameplay...

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
All i can say is that it was truely SOLID and all i cared about in terms of the other games was how SOLID the EXPERIENCE would be. As a SOLID EXPERIENCE is what matters.

Because without a SOLID EXPERIENCE, a potentially SOLID game wouldn't be... well SOLID.

Diggit?

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah I think so?

I think the gameplay in QW is nothing more than splash damage, Pills & LG shaft myself when compared to the overall weapon balance provided by Q3. QW is in effect a great game of RA, great fun. But if I want a well balanced DM experience I play Quake 3, simple ;)

:touch:

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Well, he's going to have too expand a bit on solid before I will entertain the notion he is in fact serious about his Quake. You either QUAKE or quake, two totally different things ;). Then of course you have those that still actually play at least an hour every night and not just talk about how good the old times were ;)

Don't get me wrong QW and Q2 both have a special place in my heart but I will not accept they are a more balanced game vs Q3, no way. Quake 2 gave a lot to Quake, Freeze Tag, Action Quake, Lithium, Rail Gun, CTF 'par excellence', cutting edge gfx for it's day, a single player game that was A+ the list goes on.... Was it a balanced game? Yeah better than QW but not as refined a game as Q3 is. If you love your QW a lot and fancy a change try the DMC mod for HL, that is very, very good. Splash Damage, Pillls, Shaft and not much else but great fun.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Nice to see the Railgun a feature. Looks like a Nailgun icon as well?

KnifeFace
2005-08-11 14:00:45 Multiplayer Quake 4 video
AWESOME, looks exactly like quake 3 :)
Scarbir
GT : Scarbir
2005-08-11 14:17:34
Yes please!
Quake IV Exp(ectation rating) +15%

Ditto... \o/ :drink:

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
reply to self...

I just read what Q4 Euro had too say about weapon tweaks in this preview.

Q4 Euro said:
The rocket launcher (which is also much faster and harder-hitting than the Quake III version, though still not quite as insanely fast as the Quake I version), the nailgun (which seems to fire a bit more slowly than the Quake II version), the hyperblaster (apparently a souped-up version of the Quake III plasma rifle with a slightly higher rate of fire, but apparently little to "splash damage" with each discharge) and the lightning gun and railgun (both of which seem to handle pretty similarly to their Quake III counterparts)

Interesting tweaks to say the least, I get the feeling they have tried to open the field up for more long range confrontation that is not necessarily dictated by a rail gun / lg? Will have to wait and see.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I've been downloading all the vids I can get hold off, quite a few shakycams from Quakecon MP demo are out there. It looks nice, the weaponry being affected by bouncepads and going through portals is nice ( took them long enough though ). Strafe jumping is still there, although bunny has apparently been nerfed a little, cant wait for OSP/CPMA ( if they come out for it ).

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Bound to see OSP ;)

What would you reply to this, an inteligent reply. You may agree with the bloke?

only thing i like about this game is the retro quake 2 style texturing. looks more like Quake 3 MARK II than Quake 4 - they even stuck to the suck ass map design.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
It's been said that the vids make q4 MP look a bit unreal tournament-ish ... I would agree from looking at the vid. I still want a go!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Most of the comments I have seen on Q3 forums are "Its Q3 on the Doom 3 Engine".

The weapons look a bit doom3/utish, but I can live with that ( cg_drawweapon 0 ).
The levels look ok, I guess the proof will be when the game comes out and we get to play it.

That said, I was thinking of getting a new pc for Q4, but seeing the FPS on the quakecon machines made me think again 30-80FPS on 3.8ghz P4 w/ 7800 GTX, seems a bit harsh on the old FPS, might put off until something can actually run the game at 100fps+ constantly.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
I was going to slip in another gfx card for SLi mode when Q4 does hit the shelves, still a lot of debate whether you are any better off tbh. I'll be perfectly honest looking at the XBOX 360 specs and it's versatility, if I could use a mouse to play FPS's with it you might see me turn my back on PC gaming for ever... I will be getting one anyway, but I may never upgrade my PC again depends how it performs. If I can only use hand held controllers then no I won't be playing online FPS with a console ;)

I don't know for sure yet? Can you use a mouse* with the XBox 360?

/edit *a decent mouse and a keypad of some description would be the best option.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
RTS..

Pretty decent slap of opinions over at GameShark

As Mom used to always say "if it isn’t broke, don’t try to fix it". In my personal opinion, and that of many gamers out there of online deathmatch gaming, there has never been a game that came close to matching the fast paced, white knuckled, mouse slamming, and sailor cursing action that Quake 3 Arena provided.

Nice opener :worthy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom