Q2ace

D

Deathwatch

Jolt has been enforcing Q2ACE on (some?) of its Q2 servers and appearantly it works well enough to stop cheats. However, should this be enforced on BW as well? Comments plz. :)

M

mank!

Might as well. Most people use it via choice now anyway.

S

Shocko

I would be against it... I don't play a huge amount of Q2, however i occasionally play on the BW CTC server if there's people on and i've got free time, and i do play AQ2, as much as anything else.

The issue is, that Q2ACE limits people to using a specific Q2 binary, released by them. This is both what makes it effective at stopping people hack together their own cheats, and a very negative thing since it holds back client side improvements to Q2, and prevents people from playing on platforms that the Q2ACE developers don't support.

In other words, i play Q2 on linux using icculus.org's greatly improved Q2 for linux and solaris. Needless to say, not being able to play on BW would suck.

D

Deathwatch

That is a major thing that is preventing us from implementing a q2ace only situation on BW at the moment.

Several people of the AQ2:TNG team do think that it should be possible to make a multi-platform anti-cheat client, but it will take some time to create something like that. (if its worth the effort) Also the requests for a client are different per mod, finding the right balance between them isn't easy.

V

-V-A-M-P-

q2ace has been inforced on w/p for some time on Q2 Kots and AQ2

the most proble you will have is n00bs connectiong getting kicked and then not bothering to read the popup error or being arsed to install q2ace

O

old.BB

The problem with Q2ace is the lack of support for platforms ( linux ) and how the enforcement would work with certain mods like Gloom, etc that might use a number of customised models like Aq2 does. The Q2admin model check that it does of Q2ace may kick you off, just because Q2ace doesnt currently support these alternate models, so tests would have to be run 1st. I somehow doubt they will be too quick to add support for other models/mods?

I reckon though you should at least update your Q2admin to the 1.22x Q2ace enforcement version, as you dont have to have the Q2ace enforcement part on and if your running an unaltered standard version 1.17 there are some other improvements in there that might prove useful?

K

Kempo

should enforce it, its the best way to stop cheats :)

the q2ace team added support for aq2 models within a week just ask them on the q2ace forums about adding gloom models and im sure they will be happy to help :)

D

Deathwatch

Other platform support is an issue, especially with BW being p2p now we cannot just exclude people from the server, so chances are that we aren't going to enforce it unless there is a solution for this problem.

AQ2 support took longer than a week but in the end they did add it. But adding support for multiple mods is quite difficult, especially when they do have lots of different models like gloom does.

Q2Admin 1.17 is the latest real version on the official page of it. Where can the other versions be dled? I'd gladly have a look at them.

O

old.BB

DW. Best thing to do is have a word with:

manic miner
email : aguess at bigfoot dot com

MM was very helpful to the WP peeps when it came to Q2admin.

You may have a delay in getting an answer from MM, since his home connection was down and I dont know if he has it fixed yet.

D

Deathwatch

I know - will talk to him once I get home. If Q2Admin 1.7+ doesnt add much other than q2ace stuff, we might not use it on BW.

R

_Ragey_

So many cheaters about it aint worth playin on non q2 ace servers

D

Deathwatch

BW got decent anti-cheat protection. Ofcourse there are cheats out there but I do not believe its that bad.

Anyways, with BW going p2p, it's situation will improve.

M

Manic Miner

unfortunately the version i'm using is not for public release as if i publically release it i fall under the GPL rules which leaves it open to being exploited by hackers :( - believe me i've already been approached by two well known players for it, pretending to be server admins.

there are prolly some bits of code i could provide publically though ...

there's a few minor fixes in it like the vote exploit and rcon exploit. a couple of server crash exploits plugged as well.

the only main anti cheating additions are :

a super duper speed bot detection that uses a generic method of detecting speed hacks. tests have shown that it will detect a speed hack running as low as 5% faster than a regular player can. i could prolly sort out the code for this if someone were desperate for it, although it's quite a small amount of code i've forgotten where it all is :)

the main feature is q2ace enforcement though. quake2 now has such awesome cheat exe's that the only way to prevent them from joining servers is to force the client to use a specific exe.

a shame, but there you have it :(

i should point out that i've done very little of the coding, i'm just custodian of it atm, a lot of it has been done by a m8 :)

regards,
manic miner

D

Deathwatch

BW runs a server executable which fixes the rcon exploit plus some other fixes. However the speedhack fix might be interesting to apply. I assume everything can be turned on/off?

M

Manic Miner

Originally posted by Deathwatch
BW runs a server executable which fixes the rcon exploit plus some other fixes. However the speedhack fix might be interesting to apply. I assume everything can be turned on/off?

yerh running the server side binary as well but i was interested to log attempts with q2admin plus it was a quick fix at the time so i've just left it in there.

yerh, the speed detection is off and onable. i've lost the tutorial though so may have to wait until vithar pops his head up again as i gave it to him for his XS servers. if i find it in the mean time i'll email it.

regards,
manic miner

Users who are viewing this thread