Q2 and Win2k

S

|SpooK|

Wont even go past the install page .. some error , not comapable or something :\ ...

S

Shocko

Assuming that it's the install that's "not compatible", then just do a manual install. This entails:
Finding the dir on the CD, which contains dirs such as 'baseq2', 'rogue' etc.
Copying this dir somewhere onto your hard drive, and naming it 'quake2' or something.
Running the file 'quake2.exe', and hoping for the best.

I'm not sure what kind of problems Q2 has running on differant versions of windows, however if it doesn't like W2k, i wouldn't have thought it would be a problem - Now the Q2 src is GPLed, any problems would have been fixed by the community by now.

M

Manic Miner

q2 doesn't like win2k because it's form the NT family. the main reason is that unless your are extreemly careful during install, the default language (locale) for winnt is USA and this is the setting that the q2 install uses rather than the current language setting.

i believe it can be sorted by going into the regional settings within the control panel, then ensuring that the locale is English (United Kingdom) and then also click the set default button and ensure the same thing.

roughly the same applies in WinXP as well, except there's a third location to make the change.

failing that, do as above and just copy it direct from the CD :)

regards,
manic miner

Users who are viewing this thread