Pwned

M

Maq-attack

Why the hell do people write pwned??? What does it mean? (owned?)

E

Ensceptifica

It means owned. Some counterstrike (and other fps games) kids used to write it very fast in their frustration and anger, and make so many typos it was becoming a complete mistery sometimes what they were writing. Things like

FFS PWND MF HRHRHR FUKCIN LAMRE !!!!1!!!1111

and

OMFG CHEAETR !! CMAMPER!1!! WLALHACKLMAER!!1!!!1!!!! 1-1 MF I SI GONA PWN UR AS1!!

and

MY CL4N SI TEH BEST & WLL PWN U ANY DYA K SO UF!1!1!!11!!

would be (and I'm afraid still are) uttered during games.

The first people starting to ridicule those kids simply used their most made typos in regular sentences on purpose. Some super 1337 kids started to copy their own parody again, and then it became even more ridiculous.

Anyway, that's as far as I followed the history behind it ( ;

I'm so glad I quit fps games.

O

old.Odysseus

Ensepppee..ca
You have a far to intimate knowledge on the subject....... ;)

T_T (0mFg ! H4t3 7h47 5m!LI3)

E

Ensceptifica

I know I know :p

The other day I was in an internetcafe with some friends and we decided to join some kids for some Counterstrike... well what can I say, after having quit quake 2 a year ago, it was a culture shock :p Meaning the kids still act exactly the same. It's not entirely ineffective though; even if you beat them, you get such a truckload of this kind of talk over you that no sensible person can grasp, while the kids themselves are impervious to any sensible argument you put forward... and you are left feeling defeated afterall )':

E

--Eraser--

Originally posted by old.Odysseus

T_T (0mFg ! H4t3 7h47 5m!LI3)

ok i got that now with these typos..but wtf does that mean? :)

E

Ensceptifica

Originally posted by --Eraser--

ok i got that now with these typos..but wtf does that mean? :)
Actually, Odysseus' quote is not the same thing. It is based on 1337 talk, which was used by the first self-taught demogroups/ computer/inet gurus. This too was copied and ridiculed later ( ; It is based on using ASCII to the fullest in writing your words, which isn't necessarily very practical to write ( ;

Gamer talk on the other hand is born out of the necessity to be written fast and sloppy, because you can't move your attention from playing to typing for too long. Thus the many typos and lack of grammar ( ; And because it's often done in frustration and anger, the most seen gamer talk is offensive and insulting : /

Oh yeah:
0mFg ! H4t3 7h47 5m!LI3
-> "Oh my fucking god! Hate that smilie"

You're welcome ( ;

X

Xandax

I just thought peoples 'o' key was borken due to owning so many :D

B

burg-

pwned, pwnage etc

the P stands for Power

so Power Owned, or Power Ownage.

PWNAGE!!!!!!!!

B

Bleri McThrust

Its always been beyond me......maybe im just to old.

But nice explanation :)

N

Novamir

owned is passé

pwned is like saying 'owned', but you just don't give a fuck. making the ultimate throwaway/comedy remark!

W

Weeping Willow

give good itamz plz!!!111 ^^;

show itamz plz!!!111 offer soj of jordan!!!1111 ^^;

pkpkpkpkpkpkpkpkpkpkp!!!!!11

K

Kobold

Originally posted by Maq-attack
Why the hell do people write pwned???
I don't write pwned....and btw CS sux ass big time, that game belongs in the last century mkay :m00:

O

old.Vandgard

I'm fairly certain pwnage was short for pure ownage, at least that's how some d00d explained it to some n00b awhile back.

Sounds better than power ownage at least.:rolleyes:

But lets not argue about it, its uncertain meaning only adds to its mysterious leetness.

Btw, I so pwned this thread.;)

G

Gef

I like the typo theory better, 'p' is next to 'o' on the keyboard after all so makes sense. But as always these things will probably never be properly explained ;)

B

Bleri McThrust

Originally posted by drummer
WHat does IBTL and AFAIK stand for ?
:eek:

They come from bumper stickers.

Ive Been To Ludlow

and

Albions Fair And Ignorant Kasters

ok it was a late night yesterday and Im tired :whip:

S

starblade

Ooh my .....

/e puts heavy cloak over guild tag :)

should have typed :
IBTL
Its Bleri's Time to Leave :p

S

Spudgie

If a thread turns into a complete flame war with no real point to it, mods will lock it (well usually).

IBTL is what peeps post after reading all that crap.

Means - I Beat The Lock

B

Belsameth

Dammit Dansk! as if we don't produce enough crap ourselves. now we get all these threads you feed us too! :)

D

danskmacabre

I'm waiting for a ton of Programs to compile.
Gotta do something..;)

B

Belsameth

I was wondering what made you so active.

get a job. give us our peace! ;)

D

danskmacabre

You'll be happy to know, that was the Last Off topic thread that wasn't in here I could find.

B

Bleri McThrust

Originally posted by danskmacabre
You'll be happy to know, that was the Last Off topic thread that wasn't in here I could find.

LOL are you sure :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom