Punk Buster Names ?

U

uiq-raven

Has anyone seen the new PunkBuster information regarding using your name on q3.

Basically i think that they want everyone to register your name with them.
And then make you pay money to them for the service .?
Personally i think it Sucks!.
I wonder what next years prices would be.
I have seen some people talk about how much PunkBuster might recieve from quake 3 players and some have said $500,000 per month.
Thats a lot of money for using your own name on Q3.
Also if someone registers before you then you cant register your name.
So Bloki Biggfoot etc had better register quick. :)

The new PunkBuster Name Registry premium subscription hosting service will be officially launched next week at QuakeCon 2002. After QuakeCon, we'll post news here about how to register and subscribe online for those who are not fortunate enough to be able to attend the world's premier multiplayer gaming event. The optional PunkBuster Name Registry system covers both individual player names and group tags (clans, guilds, etc.). The overall goal is to boost serious players and organizations in the online communities built up around the games we support by providing a way, for players who are interested, to verify their online playing identities to other players and admins through the use of a secure password-based system built into PunkBuster. Each registration will be active for all PB-supported games simultaneously - separate registrations for each game will not be necessary. The price will be $1 (one US dollar) per month for individual names and $2 (two US dollars) per month for group (clan) tags - paid annually via PayPal.

S

Shocko

That does sound a bit dodgy... I wasn't aware that was much of a cheat problem for Q3, especially with mods like OSP including their own anti-cheat type things.

Put it this way - If you only play on servers that aren't going to run punkbuster, then where's the problem? :)

Where did you get this information from btw? I wouldn't have thought they'd be interesed in a game like Q3, that has an established but smallish playerbase.

S

Sar

ROFL

Yes, Punkbuster is being integrated into the next release (or patch) for Q3, but they will in no way be charging you for this "service"!

Where the hell did you hear that?

S

Sar

Just seen the PB site over on Evenbalance.

Looks like a lot of bollocks to me, and it won't take off imo. What about those players without credit cards?

Looks like PB are biting off more than they can chew, and are trying to charge people for something they have no right to.

M

monster.

Originally posted by Shocko
That does sound a bit dodgy... I wasn't aware that was much of a cheat problem for Q3, especially with mods like OSP including their own anti-cheat type things.

The new version of OGC (v1.6) works as well in OSP as it does in vanilla Quake or any other widely played mod. I think it even works in Urban Terror :/

O

old.BB

The whole piont the reging of names is optional, it wont stop you playing on servers with your name.

Also if someone registers before you then you cant register your name. Thats untrue. There might be some one-upmanship been the 1st to reg with a name BUT it wont stop you using whatever name you wish. Its not like a domain name where people will buy up all the good names and charge others for them.

When they were offering the name scheme for free they had quite a response and people forget it does cost money to run that service.

The good piont of the name reging is that it shows up the aliasers, etc but I'm sure a local serverside option ( be it a mod or PB ) could have been integrated so serveradmins could have protected any amount of people they wanted on their own servers for free ( Examples been their serveradmins, clan tags, etc ).

S

Sar

Sure is Shocko, came out within the past 3/4 months.

Doddle to spot it in action though - currently vanilla RA3 servers are plagued with its use (and used by some recognisable clan members too which is worrying), and most likely will continue to be as CRT has abandoned the mod completely - the last update to it was over 17 months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom