Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Wow, just wow.

fight18pp.jpg

fight25dz.jpg

fight37wc.jpg

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you read the article it says EA renders for xbox2 and ps3, it doesn't actually say which. Just wanted to get that in before the wanking over which is better starts.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Ch3tan said:
If you read the article it says EA renders for xbox2 and ps3, it doesn't actually say which. Just wanted to get that in before the wanking over which is better starts.

Fair enough. Forgot about "that Microsoft product" tbh.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
That face looks pretty much true to life, if it wasnt in an article, id assume it was a photograph.

Chilly

Balls of steel
and why is that impressive? you could render those on a gameboys processor if you wanted - it would just take 7 years to do. My PC could certainly render one of those in under a day, its all down to the model, dont forget theres no way in hell thats a real time render.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Mind as sweet as they look, we are going to have to wait a while, both Sony and Microsoft aren't talking much about next-gen stuff, Sony are still pushing the PSP ready for its European and US release, while Microsoft is more concerned with their XNA technology and Live.

Whatever the outcome of the battle between these two its gonna be a sweet time to be a gamer.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Depends what you mean by realtime. There's no frame rate indicator, so that may well be running at below 1 fps or whatever - especially considering there's no real hardware for xbox2 or ps3, so currently people are just guessing at what they can run. That's almost certainly not running at 60, not on current hardware.

Also, there's no evidence they are realtime at all - they could be maya renders for all we know. All it says is render test, which is meaningless.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
What does that prove? It's just a speculative article about the CPU. It doesn't imply anything about the GPU performance (since the GPU won't be a cell chip). And since I'm fairly sure neither ATI or nvidia actually have physical hardware for these consoles yet any screenshots are just "best guesses" as what the consoles will actually run.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
They look like a real person to me apart from the 2nd pic and the ear - lacks depth?

I will only judge the new xbox and PS once I see some in game video and not these cinematic looking screenshots. :m00:

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
They don't look too different from the Unreal 3 video. Tbh, i'd say U3 will be wholly achievable on the next gen of consoles.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Best guesses? So probably the biggest games company in the world is guessing what it will produce for the next flagship consoles?

I think not, if anyone apart from MS and Sony know whats their consoles will be capable fo, its companies like EA which can ensure strong launch titles.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Ch3tan said:
Best guesses? So probably the biggest games company in the world is guessing what it will produce for the next flagship consoles?

I think not, if anyone apart from MS and Sony know whats their consoles will be capable fo, its companies like EA which can ensure strong launch titles.

EA...

Strong titles...

?? :eek6:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Sales wise, yes, very strong.

So they recycle titles with very little improvement, and do as litte work as possible to churn out titles. But it seems to be working financially.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
You just answered why they know next to nothing about what the consoles can do, ch3t. ;)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The fuck I have, to actually be financially succesful they are doing things right. Their games never look shite, some may play badly, but they are well made if generic.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
They're generic, and they use renderware - thus avoiding the need for EA to actually know anything much about the hardware. Being financially successful doesn't give them secret insight into how to program a machine that is as yet unbuilt in final form.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Being financially successful doesn't give them secret insight into how to program a machine that is as yet unbuilt in final form
It does however mean that they have countless studios all working with official devkits at the very least, probably with prototype hardware in some cases. Considering the Xbox2/PS3 CPUs are going to be IBM POWER derivatives I'd say they've got a good idea of what they're working with. Sony/IBM already have experimental Cell dev workstations and have had for months, and are going to announce them properly in a weeks time.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
The more significant factor is that the GPUs are not finalised yet, without the real graphics hardware, anything they do it still a "best guess" as to what it will do. There's only so much that can be based on paper specs - I'm actually more than a little familiar with the xbox2 specs, but all the specs and prototype hardware in the world aren't the same as the real thing.

Besides which, still no evidence that those screenshots are realtime.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
do peeps not remeber the T-Rex PS1 demo? looked very sexeh back in the day but we saw nowt like it in the consoles life time

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=8261
According to a report on Team Xbox, Sony is scheduled to reveal finalised plans on the mysterious Cell processor - the one pencilled in to power the PlayStation 3 - at next month’s International Solid State Circuits Conference to be held in San Francisco.

It is claimed that IBM, Sony and Toshiba will present four technical papers at the event showing a 4.6 GHz clock speed for the processor.

The report states that the Cell papers will show:
Multi-thread, multi-core architecture.
Supports multiple operating systems at the same time.
Substantial bus bandwidth to/from main memory, as well as companion chips.
Flexible on-chip I/O (input/output) interface.
Real-time resource management system for real-time applications.
On-chip hardware in support of security system for intellectual property protection.
Implemented in 90 nanometre (nm) silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology.

SPOnG has learned that there is a briefing on Tuesday, February 8, under the banner, 'The Design and Implementation of a First-Generation CELL Processor.' This is described as “A CELL Processor is a multi-core chip consisting of a 64b Power architecture processor, multiple streaming processors, a flexible IO interface, and a memory interface controller. This SoC is implemented in 90nm SOI technology. The chip is designed with a high degree of modularity and re-use to maximize the custom circuit content and achieve a high-frequency clock-rate.”

Speakers will be S.Asano, Y. Masubuchi and K.Yazawa from Sony Japan, joined by staffers from IBM and Toshiba. We’ll bring you updates from the show.

Oooh...

Yaka

Part of the furniture
by the time we get ps3, 4 gig is gonna be average. still the ps2 is plomping along fine so its no biggie

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Be interesting to see if they can actually deliver on that promise. Especially given the likely price point of the PS3. I note they are usuing a Power chip - chips not noted for their high clock rates. Also, curious as to why they are going 90nm instead of using IBMs new 65nm fab.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Clock rate is far from the be-all and end-all of it, the Cell stuff is multi-core (even to the point of having different OSs on different cores) and multi-threading. Not much is known about the I/O and memory bandwidths but it's expected to be huge. With what EA are saying now that they expect more umph from the PS3 than the Xbox2, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's an absolute beast :) Apparently the Cell workstations are producing 2 Teraflops as standard

Yaka

Part of the furniture
wonder if sony will run into the same probs as ps2.

if memories serves corect iraq,iran,china,north korea and cuba wernt alowed to have ps2 as it may help em make wmd or somat

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Bodhi said:
I want one. Now.
So you can draw a static head and move a camera about? Could do that on a ps2 already (albiet not with the resolution of those shots).

2 TFlops on the cpus is great, if you can actually use it all (PS2 syndrome again if they aren't careful). Also, if the CPUs are actually that fast, why have a graphics chip (which they are), you'd be able to software render faster.

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
Danya said:
if the CPUs are actually that fast, why have a graphics chip (which they are), you'd be able to software render faster.

You = dick

That is all.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I said the workstations have that performance, those will be rackmount multi-cpu, multi-core, unlike the console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom