PS3 Media Center

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone else looked at this yet ? Im trying to set it up at home.

Apparently you can have one PC on your network stream out movies/music/pictures and the PS3 can play them on your TV.

Theres a new option (after the 1.80 upgrade) to scan for media servers in your PS3 menu, and on your windows PC, in media player 11 you can turn on being one of these servers.

Think the PS3 wont play divx/xvid tho - but looking at Nero MediaHome, this can act as a media server and transcode the videos to a different format.

mmmmm.... could be interesting.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Nice, how CPU intensive is the transcoding bud?

No idea... I have an always-on 512MB AMD Sempron 2800 (1.6Ghz) box that sits under the desk running... urm... μThings :) it runs on that box - theres about a 5s delay when requesting a video before it starts playing on the PS3 - but I can live with that.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
also some peeps have found dvds from any region run fine on the ps3, not sure how important this would be for you guys but atleast its possible now.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Rather bizarre that since historically Sony have generally made it difficult to hack their dvd players into region free goodness.

Still, if that's the case then there's more chance of me having one :)

soze

I am a FH squatter
Just as i finish running linux up i see this :)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
heh keep the tux install, Team XBMC have anoucced that theya re porting XBMC to TUX :) so the ps3 will be uber uber media center

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Ah but most importantly - will it have the power to play x264 encodes? If it will - *sold*.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
when ported to beefier system than xbox it will

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Even if they actually make a PPC version, I really doubt they'll put anything in for the SPUs. Would be a monster if someone eventually did that.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
that prolly depends on if anyone from the penguin crowd manges to unlock/unblock everything thats been restricted by sony atm prolly may take a few years if at all

lovedaddy

Fledgling Freddie
At the moment

that prolly depends on if anyone from the penguin crowd manges to unlock/unblock everything thats been restricted by sony atm prolly may take a few years if at all

There are already some working SPU patches for mplayer - however, the biggest problem getting xbmc ported to the ps3 is the directx function calls they use in all their GUI stuff (things like overlays and thumbnails).

The PS3 linux only has access to framebuffer video drivers, which would require all those things to be writen in software (unless the RSX gets unlocked and OpenGL acceleration given).

Last time I spoke to them, they were talking about writing their own device driver.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
No idea... I have an always-on 512MB AMD Sempron 2800 (1.6Ghz) box that sits under the desk running... urm... μThings :) it runs on that box - theres about a 5s delay when requesting a video before it starts playing on the PS3 - but I can live with that.

Is it just me or is the quality viewed on the TV really really shit?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Is it just me or is the quality viewed on the TV really really shit?

I have been playing with this abit and when it was running over the wireless from my PC to wireless on my PS3 the quality was bad. I only get 28mb on wireless which might be why. I plugged in a GB hub between the two and now the qualityis as good if not better than my divx dvd player.

Only downside is no pause or fast forward. I chucked the controller onto my bed 40 minutes into a film and sent it back to the beginning with nothing i could do about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom