PS3 PS3 hard drives!?!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I have a PS3 40 gig (I think it is!)

How easy is it to take out the hard drive and put in a larger drive? Just signed up to PS+ and been told I don't have enough space to install anything (After last of us) As far as I know the only other games I have installed are Gran Turismo and final fantasy.

Is there any way of checking whats on there? I can't seem to find any sort of file tree or anything simple like that. I don't really want to uninstall GT anyway.

Also, wtf is with not being able to do other stuff while downloading???

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It's really easy just google it, make sure you get a 2.5" drive though, not a 3.5"

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Also if you sign in to the psn website you can "buy" the psn+ games there w/o having to start downloading them, to make sure you flag them permanently.

Syri

FH is my second home
The ps3 uses a standard sata laptop drive. I have the 40gb one, and also found myself short of space to take advantage of a PS+ sub. I decided to stick an ssd in my laptop, and move the old drive from that to the ps3.
Installing it is dead easy. First, back up the save data etc to a usb drive (has to be big enough to take almost all the used space on the internal, and HAS to be formatted in FAT32) then you just flip the side panel off on the left hand side (when it's lying down) undo a screw and the drive slides out, replace the drive in the cage, slide it in, and when you boot it asks you to start formatting. When it's done, just restore the backup from the usb drive and you've suddenly got room for all those nice free games.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Thanks chaps. Will see about scabbing a 2.5" HD off the IT guy at work!

Yaka

Part of the furniture
just dont get the fat 2.5 hdds last time i looked ( was a couple of years back) allmost all 2.5 hdds ove 1tb were slightly too thick to fit unless you dremelled some bits of the drive cage

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
oooh on the subject of SSD, has anyone installed an SSD in their PS3??

Syri

FH is my second home
I considered it, but most of the websites I looked at said it barely made a difference, which is pretty much what I'd expect. a hdd will keep up fine with a game downloading from the store, and is more than fast enough to handle transfer from blu-ray. Add to that the fact all of the games are designed with the assumption the data is coming from a 5400rpm hdd, and you'll barely notice it.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
oooh on the subject of SSD, has anyone installed an SSD in their PS3??

It doesn't make much difference in games, a few fps here and there, no consistent improvement. The main area of benefit is load times.
GT5 benefits around 20-30s per track for example.

tldr, eh not worth it unless loading times really annoy you.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
It doesn't make much difference in games, a few fps here and there, no consistent improvement. The main area of benefit is load times.
GT5 benefits around 20-30s per track for example.

tldr, eh not worth it unless loading times really annoy you.

Yes, load times do annoy me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom