ps3 dvd upscaling quality

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Righto, I need soemone with a good quality dvd upscaler to compare it with the ps3 since the latest software update.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Righto, I need soemone with a good quality dvd upscaler to compare it with the ps3 since the latest software update.

As its software and not hardwre i would think it will not be the best you can get just like how the ps3 software dose not upscale as well as the hardware 360 for games

Yaka

Part of the furniture
he is on about the DVD side of it.

ch3tan, ive watched gladiator, Friend, The Rock Criteterion DVD and Monsters Inc on the PS3 with upscaling, over component its like for like against xbmc which also upscales to 1080i, over hdmi with el cheapo game play cable its better than Xbmc colours look more vibrant in all 3 films, the green bollox things in the rock look more clearer, and gladiator looks pretty good as well.

ps2 games wise, god of war 1 and 2, rawk crap thing is i had to buy pal versions of both games. shadows of the colossus looks better, ico i thought is better on ps2, killer 7 is better on ps2

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
As its software and not hardwre i would think it will not be the best you can get just like how the ps3 software dose not upscale as well as the hardware 360 for games

PS3 has and is using a hardware scaler. What are you on about? :touch:

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
PS3 has and is using a hardware scaler. What are you on about? :touch:

It isn't using a dedicated scaler chip, it uses the GPU to scale framebuffers either up or down and Sony are calling it a hardware scaler because it is done by hardware even if it is using software algorithms. Doing it this way hurts performance under high loads but generally produces decent results, for scaling DVD's it works perfectly well because the GPU is never stressed. In short it is a solid concept for movie playback, I am yet to be convinced it is good for gaming because it places alot of extra work on an already heavily stressed RSX GPU.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hmmm. Tried quite a few dvd's today, they do look good, but I can't play any of my region 1 or region 4 dvd's :/ I still may get the oppo upscaling player.

I have yet to try god of war 2, it looked okay before this upgrade, hoping for a nice 1080i pic and no slow down now.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
some region1 players will play no probs, others will need region coding removing

making a 1:1 back up with no region coding plays movies fine.

sony needs to fix this, atm this will make peps leech a dvd iso burn and watch. if they made this update region free then it would have encouraged piracy a little less

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom