Help PS3 + 6.1 Surround?

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I am sure I have asked this before but.....meh.

I have a Samsung 6.1 amp that does accept LPCM over HDMI, definitely. I have my PS3 connected to the amp with a HDMI lead and then from the amp into the telly again with a HDMI lead.

I have all 7 speakers (6 speakers 1 woofer) connected and enabled through the amp.

Now when I turn the PS3 on all I get on the amp panel is LPCM, no Neo 6 mode (the samsung name for 6.1) or any other options, and no options work on the amp. I assume this is because the PS3 is forcing the audio and is telling the amp what sound it can actually accept....or something.

I get surround sound when watching films but I have never had ANY sound out of the rear centre speaker....ever, it works with the test tone but thats it, never in a film have I heard anything from it.

Am I missing something here, anyone have any idea why it isn't working? I generally watch my HD films after decoding them from x264 but I do have some Blu Ray films on disc as well but neither have ever given me 6.1.

Any help appreciated.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The ps3 does all the decoding, so all the amp does is accept the signal and output it to the speakers. You will not be able to change the setting on the amp, it is the same as using the direct channel inputs on the amp. To use your extra surround channel you will need to go to the set-up of the movie you are playing and select the 6 or 7 channel option if it is available. Very few of my BD's have the option, most are still in 5.1 but HD.

As for your games etc, if you want to make use of the extra channel then you will have to take the ps3 off LPCM and then you can use your amp's options to fiddle with the sound.

edit:// unless the file/ disc/ game you are playing actually supports the extra channel of audio, then all the amp is doing is creating an extra channel, probably using the sound that would go to rear left or right anyway. You are better off using LPCM and getting the best sound quality than letting the amp create an extra channel of audio that isn't meant to be there.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
This page here is the audio settings page from the PS3 manual.
PS3™ | Audio Output Settings

The main thing to note is that you can output 2ch, 5.1ch and 7.1ch over HDMI... there is no option for 6.1. So your 7th speaker isn't working because it's not receiving a signal at all.

Trem

Hmmm cheers lads.

I have messed and plugged the optical into the amp from the PS3 and now I can mess and get sound from the rear centre speaker, fooling me yes but at least its there.

Going to watch Empire Strikes Back in a bit with the boy and see if it seems any better/worse than Star Wars did yesterday.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If it is a blu ray it will be worse, because you are not getting the Hd audio, if it's a dvd then you will just be messing with the dts or dolby output. Fair enough if it makes you happy, but it's just a gimmick.

Trem

If it is a blu ray it will be worse, because you are not getting the Hd audio, if it's a dvd then you will just be messing with the dts or dolby output. Fair enough if it makes you happy, but it's just a gimmick.

Its made me happy mainly because I forgot about the rear surround speaker when I was chiselling the walls out for wires.......before the plasterer came. I then realised I needed another wire chiselling in.......after the plasterer had gone, which pleased Samm as you can imagine. So after all the agro putting this speaker in I just wanted to hear it, god damn it I NEEDED to hear it. Now I have and I can imagine I will go back to before AFTER watching a film with it making noise......

......even if the noise is a rabbit farting I want to hear it!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You could just wire it into the right and left speakers (at the amp) and it will work whenever sound is meant to go to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom