PS2 Question

G

gargomel

I have finally got my lazy *** on the case of getting my ps2 chipped. Ive been qouted 75 by my local dodgy video shop but someone mentioned that u can download the software needed with the right cable and chip it without the need to solder. Does anyone know anything about this or have any advice for me? Apologies if youve seen this kind of thread a thousand times. Cheers

J

Jonaldo

Best not ask about chipping Playstations on a forum run by a major game retailing outfit :) They usually don't take too kindly to anything 'piracy' based. Unless of course there are completely innocent reasons for getting a PS2 chipped then I apologise for possibly making you look a bit guilty :)

O

Ono

Nothing wrong with talk about chipping.

It's the talk of illegal games that's not allowed.

As for the question - I think you're mad to chip it yourself unless you have an electronics dgreee.

The PS2 mods are notoriously hard to fit.

Never heard of the solderless mod.

L

lovedaddy

I think you can get a case mod that works in much the same way as the old swap trick for the PSX. If you imagine the cd tray having a flip open lid where the current PlayStation 2 text is on the top. DVD in, boot, swap (without the regular DVD tray knowing you've swapped the disc).

Otherwise, its a BITCH of an install. Usually upto 26 wires, some needing to be soldered onto legs of chips that are next to each other.
If you've ever attempted an xbox and struggled with the D0, do NOT attempt a PS2. It will all end in tears I tell ya.

S

S-Gray

I still find it hard to beieve that people pay like £70 to get a PS2/Xbox chipped...

I mean jesus, you can get a new console for that price.. :/

Good money mind if you was the guy fitting the chip

L

leggy

It's not that much SG. The chip itself costs 35 quid to start with and the job will easily take more than an hour to do. So they don't make too much money from it.

N

nath

Originally posted by S-Gray
I still find it hard to beieve that people pay like £70 to get a PS2/Xbox chipped...

I mean jesus, you can get a new console for that price.. :/

The xbox chip is what makes the console worth having. And besides, it's pointless paying people to get the xbox chipped as it's so easy to do yourself.

C

CptDoom

My 2nd xbox is chipped with a 2.2 executor light and it works a bloody treat even tho i havent even got around to soldering it.

What version PS2 do you have gargomel? Some recent models dont like solderless chips but they certainly excist, i have around 20 solderfree ones lying around doing not much....

O

Ono

Chipping is worth every penny IMHO.

My XB, GC and PS2 are all chipped. I would not have bought the XB or the PS2 without the ability to play homebrew stuff (XB) and Jap imports (PS2).

L

lovedaddy

How exactly is your GC chipped. I know you can use the boot dvd, which is very hit and miss.

C

CptDoom

Originally posted by Ono
Chipping is worth every penny IMHO.

My XB, GC and PS2 are all chipped. I would not have bought the XB or the PS2 without the ability to play homebrew stuff (XB) and Jap imports (PS2).

Chipped Gamecube? I didnt even realise there was such a thing. Im fully aware that you can play backups with a certain 'Ragolway' :) but why on earth would you want to chip it? The freeloader does import things, is there anywhere i can get hold of a gamecube chip so i dont have to use a freeloader?

O

Ono

Originally posted by CptDoom
Chipped Gamecube? I didnt even realise there was such a thing.
Sorry. I meant "modded" GC.

It's a USA/Jap NTSC machine with a switch to allow play of both.

I don't bother with PAL games.

S

Skyler

I just really have a total paranoid thing about letting someone else chip my PS2, I mean what if they just shove it all in and solder badly or fuck it up?

At least if I did it I know I'd spend like a day on it, but then again I am probably not as good at soldering...

I'm tempted to sell mine and just buy a prechipped silver one but bleh... dunno if I can be bothered... isn't that important to me

T

Twaize

Why not just don't get a chipped PS2? se ur comp for fake games imo

Users who are viewing this thread