PS2 Noob

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Just got my PS2 as you may have seen in the other thread and I've got a couple of questions....

1. For those of you with widescreen tellies, what do you tell the PS2 in the initial configuration? I set it to 16:9 (as opposed to 4:3 and Full) but I have to put the TV in either Super Wide or Zoom 16:9 to get it to fill the screen, which makes it look a bit pants. Or is this just the game and setting it any other way will make it look worse?

2. Can anyone reccomend a good wireless controller for the PS2?

3. Is it worth buying a broadband adapter for it? Or should I just stick to my PC for online games (esp since I hate FPS on consoles)?

4. Mod chips, worth it? Is there a 100% hassle free solution that doesn't involve soldering stuff and, preferably, breaking any warranty seals?
I was hoping for something like the Action Replay on the GC to enable you to play import games but the nice lady in Game said nothing like that (a memory card plug-in or bootable CD) exists for the PS2.

5. Is there an adapter that lets me use GC control pads on the PS2 (mostly for SCII)?

Erm. I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance for any help!

WPKenny

leggy

Probably Scottish
For the time being ps2 online is shit. With the exception of maybe ssx3 and tony hawks, the line up is abysmal.

As for imports. you can't play them without a modchip which unfortunately means at least 1 solder connection (for the crap 1). The latest one requires 32 or there abouts (not an easy solution).

babs

Can't get enough of FH
1: it's mainly for DVD playback, although some games (burnout 2 for example) will let you choose 16:9 mode.

2: There's this one.

3: If there are games you want to play online, get the adapter. If not, don't. Sounds obvious but in all honesty it is that simple.

4: Depends what you want to play, if it's just for playing your genuine imports then a copy of Swap Magic and a Flip-top lid replacement are the easiest to install and need no soldering. They can also be put back to normal if you ever want to sell it. You'll almost always break the seal if you do a mod of any kind (knife trick doesn't though), as it's stuck over the join between the top and bottom half of the PS2 case.

5: Not that I know of, but there are some nice SC2 sticks around.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
leggy said:
For the time being ps2 online is shit. With the exception of maybe ssx3 and tony hawks, the line up is abysmal.

As for imports. you can't play them without a modchip which unfortunately means at least 1 solder connection (for the crap 1). The latest one requires 32 or there abouts (not an easy solution).
There are ways to do it, just like the method I mention. I have a flip top lid and Swap Magic 2 and I can play 95%+ of all import stuff like that, not a drop of solder involved. I actually wrote a small guide for ddruk a while back, some of the links may be dead but the detail of how to use it and install it is still there.

leggy

Probably Scottish
babs said:
There are ways to do it, just like the method I mention. I have a flip top lid and Swap Magic 2 and I can play 95%+ of all import stuff like that, not a drop of solder involved. I actually wrote a small guide for ddruk a while back, some of the links may be dead but the detail of how to use it and install it is still there.

Oh :/

I never knew about that. Oh well, I have sold my ps2 now anyway.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
babs. Did you ever here anything more about ZoneLoader?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I think it died, Swap Magic 3.2 CD is out though.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Yeah, got that one the other day. Works a treat.

Annoying thing is that I have a matrix chip, I'm just to chicken to install it. May pick up a cheap, 2nd hand PS2 tomorrow and give it a go on that one.

oldman

Fledgling Freddie
wimp , go on get that soldering iron out and fry that ps2,snifffffffff can i smell chips burning

Skyler

Fledgling Freddie
oldeh!!!!1111111111111111111111
:(

PS2's r rox..

GT3 r rox..

and if you want online play go get GT4, when it's finally released :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom