PS2 died :(

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I've got a multi-console component lead for my Wii and ps2. The weird thing is the audio from the wii doesn't play when the PS2 is powered. So I have to switch it off at the back.

The other day I wanted to watch some divx files so switched the ps2 back on....nothing.

No lights or anything. No whirr, fizz or pop.

I thought it might be the obvious and ordered a ten pack of 2.5amp slow burn fuses off ebay for a couple of quid. Soldered one in...nothing.

I read a post somewhere online that the diodes can also go due to the slow burn nature of the fuse. Trouble is the post never went anywhere cos the guy who's console had died in the same way decided to send it off to be fixed.

If you've been following the other threads you'll know I'm a bit strapped for cash at the mo.

I've found plenty of sites that will sell me spare parts but I don't really want to waste money buying a load of random parts that add up to the cost of a second hand PS2.

On a side note it's the first time I've had a real go with a soldering iron. Is there a chance that the fuse could be firm enough that it won't pull out but there's some magic barrier between the solder and the ends of the fuse that stop it from conducting electricity?

Right now my PS2 is in as many bits as is possible but I can't physically see anything wrong with it, i.e. melted bits or swollen/blow capacitors.

Anyone got any (cheap) ideas?

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Depends how cheap, ive got a PS2 in the spare room, just trying to find the time to put it on eBay. :)

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Well, I could be completely wrong but I still think it's the main power board.
There's no *pop* or spark when you plug the power lead into it like you would normally get if you had it switch to on at the time.

I've resoldered the fuse but it's still not showing any signs of life.

I can get a new board for about 13 quid delivered. I'll mope about it for a few days and see if I can win enough on poker to cover the cost.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Is it the slimline version, if it is, have you thought about the external power brick as the problem?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Nothing to do with your PS2, but those mutli-console leads seldom work now thanks to the standby modes. I've owned loads, and they always do something odd, mainly because voltage is sent down the cable even when the console is 'off' (standby). I used to have a PS2, Xbox, DC and GC hooked up to one, and if I powered the Xbox on, the image was half as bright as it should be and the GC power light would come on at half strength. Same thing with PS2, if it had any power to it all it would try to switch to its video signal and ignore anything else.

I recently bought an RGB cable for my Wii, if I leave it in Wiiconnect24 mode for standby (orange light), it still tries to switch to itself as the video source and just blacks out anything else.

Annnnnway, just trying to say the 'no picture from the wii' thing isn't unexpected and probably isn't indicative of your PS2's imminent demise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom