Prydwen Down?

T

torcuil

Had I been keeping a server uptime like GOA's servers have, in my last place of work, I would have been fired promptly.

I

isabellah

yep same here unable to connect to updateserver atm

D

Derric

My relics!!! All mine!!! MOUga hGHAgh Ghag hgAH ghag hgHGA!!!1

O

old.Morchaoron

looks like the massive hib zerg finally met the massive mid zerg in emain and crashed the server xD

G

goasucks

dog of a company, no standby servers, they suck.

K

krag_lionhart

Goa and Mythic have really got to get these Zerg on Zerg problems sorted this is supposed to a MMORPG which should support large forces in small areas at all times, if their servers dont support that many people maybe they should consider upgrading their servers, with the on coming World of Warcraft & EQ2 is Daoc really going to stnd up to them?? support wise.

C

chretien

From traceroutes posted in other threads it's not the Goa servers but a router between them and the wider internet. So probably a France Telecom problem.

O

old.Hardbein

Originally posted by torcuil
Had I been keeping a server uptime like GOA's servers have, in my last place of work, I would have been fired promptly.

I would have fired u coz of ur lack of "know-how". Change ISP if u feel that the servers have bad "uptime".
99,9% of the LDs r not caused by GOA, but by different ISP's that transit Inet traffic to Paris/France.

Only downtime I know of is:

a few zone chrashes
haxx episode a few months ago
patchdays
and a few emergency stops

Seeing this from a professional point of view, Id say GOA has a damn high uptime on their servers. Just that most whiners here on BW like to blame GOA everytime they go LD.

S

scarffs

Agreed.
I find their uptime very good. In fact, everyone finds it only natural servers are up all the time, so that means they're good.

T

torcuil

Originally posted by old.Hardbein
Only downtime I know of is:

a few zone chrashes

Which should not happen.

haxx episode a few months ago

Which should not happen, and which caused a MASSIVE downtime.

patchdays

Which last far longer than they announce, and often need more additional patches in the following days.

and a few emergency stops

Which, you guessed it, should not happen.

Seeing this from a professional point of view, Id say GOA has a damn high uptime on their servers. Just that most whiners here on BW like to blame GOA everytime they go LD.

It's not a whine about LDing. I go LD often because of my ISP, and I don't blame GOA for it. However, GOA are doing a singularily shoddy job of keeping their servers up - and the matter of their billing process being unavailable during the weekend is laughable, not to mention their near-nonexistent customer support and so on and so forth.

GOA are not doing a good job.

O

old.Hardbein

Which should not happen.

Do u have the slightest realistic view on this matter? Come join us in the real world.
Servers r mechanical devices wich sometimes break coz of mechanical failures. Sometimes software failure. This cant be prevented unless everything is duplicated/clustered/mirrored etc. All this cost money and I doubt GOA have all these fault tolerance features installed on all their serveres.

My arguments is based on my 2 years of playing DAoC hosted by GOA.

- and the matter of their billing process being unavailable during the weekend is laughable, not to mention their near-nonexistent customer support and so on and so forth.

Never mentioned billing / "customer service"....but yes I do agree with u on this.

Yesterdays mass LD was caused by an ISP router (non GOA) wich got some hickups and was online again 5 mins later....fyi.

T

torcuil

Originally posted by old.Hardbein
Do u have the slightest realistic view on this matter? Come join us in the real world.

You know... disagreeing with someone's point of view is okay. Making personal attacks on someone for their point of view is not. And I do have a realistic view on the matter - in the real world, servers are expected to have an extremely good uptime.

Servers r mechanical devices wich sometimes break coz of mechanical failures.

Servers are electronic devices, not mechanical. Though I guess it might explain a thing or two if they were great big clunky affairs of cogs and wheels that had to be cranked by hand or run on steam. (Yes, I'm being facetious. Sorry.)

Sometimes software failure. This cant be prevented unless everything is duplicated/clustered/mirrored etc. All this cost money and I doubt GOA have all these fault tolerance features installed on all their serveres.

Indeed. But they should have them. It costs money, yes, but ensuring smooth running of services should be one of the prime, if not the prime concern of GOA -- which is, yes, a service provider.

My arguments is based on my 2 years of playing DAoC hosted by GOA.

Mine too, plus 6+ years of working professionally in a network administration role.

T

torcuil

Originally posted by mavericky
You do realise that we have far less downtime than the US servers dont you?

Yes. That still doesn't mean it's good.

O

old.Hardbein

What u fail to see is that, u cant expect GOA to have the same fault tolerance systems installed like the military/banking/insurance industry has as a standard.

GOA has atm the cheapest online game available. With a customer base of 100k paying 8£ a month. How many of these r active acounts i dunno. We have on average 25k players online @primetime. A quick use of start-run-calc tells me these standards ur expecting is not realistic.
GOA has an average uptime of more than 99,8% wich is the norm in the Service provider industry in Europe.

Yes these servers r electronical devices, but statistics from the Company that I work for (wich happens to be an ISP/ASP/VoIP/Telecom provider) show that the majority of "downtime" is caused by hardware failure....wich is why I used the "phrase" mechanical. Sofware failure is in most cases handeled by hardware fault tolerance systems.
Tho I have to admit that by far, most of the downtime I experience is caused by network failure.

So to sum it up, GOAs servers sure have the best uptime/stability in the MMORPG busines atm (the security I wont mention :p), we have no reason to whine at GOA for downtime (not mentioning custmer support/customer information :p), Im sure that 99,99% of the LDs in EuroDAoC is caused by ISP problems....not GOA. We cant expect GOA to have better uptime on their servers taking in concideration the ammount of cash we pay em each month. It just aint financially viable.....and I guess its a compromise to be able to provide this service to the private audience....where many of their customers r children.

Disclaimer: I am NOT saying GOA is giving us satisfactory customer service/ingame support/customer information. Im just commenting the server-uptime on GOAs servers :)

V

VidX

Yes, servers are expected to handle long uptimes, but not also large workloads as well as this, on the budget GOA has to run the servers on.

Yes, the vast majority of problems are ISP based, and very little are server based, especially when compared with the type of software that is being run, and the load it is under.

Bet you can't run your PC full whack for months at a time without a crash, let alone a server cluster with upwards of 2000 connections to it at prime-time, running a constantly changing, not 100% tested (no software can be 100% tested btw, that's what patches are mostly for) software.

Users who are viewing this thread