Proxy help

O

old.LandShark

Currently trying to allow my friend, connected via a simple hub to my PC, to be able to log in to DAOC through my comp. I'm using FreeProxy which is an extremely simple little, free proxy....
Internet browsing appears to be working fine, but the DAOC patcher program instantly gives 201, Cannot connect to update server blah blah blah.
Anyone able to suggest anything?

S

SFXman

Umm... does your proxy have a setting which allows hi to use ALL ports?
If it is program-wise, the permissions... then DAoC needs login.dll, game.dll and patch.dll IF I remember correctly.

S

Shamarinor

Have you tried just using windows own internet sharing?

S

SFXman

Depends on version really... Windows XP it is easy...

O

old.LandShark

using win2k pro.
The proxy, as far as i can tell, has no function for setting specific permissions. The guy i got it from (professional network engineer... ) said it was totally transparent. And yet i can't get any games to connect through the proxy PC, and when the client tries to d/l anything, it downloads a few kb then says it's complete....

F

Flimgoblin

It'll be a transparent http proxy then, forwarding port 80 on your computer to port 80 on wherever it's going to.

You need a proper IP masquerading firewall (well Network Address Translator is the official term I think) - internet connectiion sharing does this, theres other freebie tools out there that do the same thing

S

starblade

Depending on the OS, your internet connection sharing does not always include NAT / Masque.
Some programs like e.g. Wingate integrate this in their ICS but they are not a guarantee for a good internet connection.

One of the easiest (and best I guess but could be wrong :p) ways of getting a proper ICS is to use a small hardware router.
A good one will have NAT and will guarantee a fine and stable connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom