"Proper" gamer

Sar

Part of the furniture
Sar said:
A "gamer" is someone who has gaming as one of their main hobbies, not something they do occasionally. Someone who knows a decent amount about the history of gaming, about what we played to get where we are today. About who the real main players in the industry are.

A "Lifestyle Gamer" is someone who buys whatever EA, Sony & Microsoft tell them to, hence the success of the Sims et al. Because it's "cool" dont'cha know? As soon as it's deemed "uncool" again they'll sell them quicker than shit.

Me?

Began when I was 4/5 (about 25 years ago) on an Atari 2600 then onto a VIC20. Then moved onto several varieties of the Speccy (48K, rubber keyboard -> 128K -> 128K+3), then onto the consoles.

Snes (which I sold years ago, but joy of joys I bought a new one from eBay which arrived in perfect condition this morning! :D), then a Megadrive as well. Then I got an N64 then a Jaguar (which I still have upstairs) which I got purely for Doom, just prior to buying my first PC.

I picked up a Dreamcast in the years somewhere down the line, which is in my parents' house somewhere.

Mainly though it's been PCs ever since, along with a Gamecube, PS2 and a huge back catalog of emulated games with respective emulators for the Nes, Snes, Megadrive, Jag, Amiga, Mame etc.

I personally regretted having to sell my original Snes all those years ago, and you can't imagine how happy I was to finally get another one. Even though I have literally hundreds of games for my Snes emulator of choice (ZSnes), I still wanted an original piece of hardware to play on. I still have a load of Snes games upstairs, so I'll be playing those again over the weekend.

:D
Oh and I've also had all the Gameboys, bar the color one.

Original GB -> GB Pocket -> GBA -> GBA SP (my fave).

Going to get the daughter a Pink SP for Chrimbo, so she can stop nicking mine to play SMK: SC (only a gamer would get that acronym).

PS: DaGaffer, stop being so bloody righteously holier-than-thou. No-one's saying they're any "better" than anyone else, far from it. It's just a discussion about breadth of experience. That does not equate to being better than someone in any regard.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I've played every game in the world, ever.
You are all bogus, I own you all. End of.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Why has this thread turned into 'I have the biggest gaming cock'?

Its not about how many games you play, or how long you've played them. What are games for?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Sar said:
PS: DaGaffer, stop being so bloody righteously holier-than-thou. No-one's saying they're any "better" than anyone else, far from it.

Oh you so are! No-one runs to three or four posts about all the games/platforms they've played unless they're showing off! What other purpose does it have on this forum? You're not going for a fekkin job interview, so its just willy-waving. You're making a statement to your peers on an (ostensibly) gaming forum (thereby talking to people who should be impressed), about the number of games you've played, therefore making comparison to others, defining yourself by your gaming experience.

Sar said:
It's just a discussion about breadth of experience. That does not equate to being better than someone in any regard.

You got that right.

Look, I'm not flaming you, or WPKenny, or anyone else, but, don't kid yourself about the what this thread is actually about.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Well if you feel belittled, or somehow "lesser" because of someone's gaming experience, then I feel very sorry for you indeed.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Real gamers prefer real life, huh ?

Same "i own j00" shite imho ;)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
DaGaffer said:
You're making a statement to your peers on an (ostensibly) gaming forum (thereby talking to people who should be impressed), about the number of games you've played, therefore making comparison to others, defining yourself by your gaming experience.

It's a gaming forum and people are talking about their experience of games... what's so difficult to comprehend about that? It's clearly not an ego-trip.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
nath said:
It's a gaming forum and people are talking about their experience of games... what's so difficult to comprehend about that? It's clearly not an ego-trip.

In the context of a thread about "what makes a 'proper' gamer", it clearly is an ego trip!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well as said before, you're misinterpreting what wpkenny meant by "proper" - that's why you think it's an ego-trip, it's not.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I think of myself as a gamer. Not sure whether people who know me would say Im proper.

I got hooked in 1994ish I think though I used to be an arcade/pinball jockey before that. I liked the original star wars arcade game with the canyon run (bit crap really) and the Tron arcade game (in stereo...wow) that were very addictive. I also was very good at one game that had a bouncy herbie car in it and a pyramid/maze but cant remember the name of it (1983ish) I had a Speccy 81/82 and Amiga 1200 (2Mb Ram...brilliant graphics)

It wasnt until I saw Doom and Dark Forces that I wanted a PC and have amassed over 300 PC games since (most that wont work with my current set up)

I had a Sega mega drive and loved Flashback to death. There was that bit where you had to run jump and grab a ledge. I spent an entire Saturday to get past that bit. I got a Sega Dreamcast/Xbox and a Cube later on, but my heart belongs to the beige box. I beta tested on the Wireplay service racking up a £700 phone bill that BT paid. Mostlly played Duke 3d in those days as Quake wasnt supported though I know they eventually got a community together at WP. I left and played online mostly under one guise or another.

I think you know youre addicted when you spend most of your time tweaking and not actually playing.

Not sure what proper is but Im a gamer through and through.

Sawtooth

Gray

FH is my second home
I loved Flashback, probably second best game when i was young on Megadrive behind Sonic :eek:

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Just happened upon an old irc quote ...

<Arclight> but what do you expect
<Arclight> its the net
<Arclight> more importantly quakenet
<Arclight> where peeps fight over games etc
<Arclight> YOU CALLING MY MOUSE A POOF????????

leggy

Probably Scottish
You have a good point though.

It's a bit of a fucking sausage party in here.

kingcon

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone who failed their A levels because they were playing on many a game instead of revising and attending lectures is a real gamer in my book

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
You seem to have created two categories of gamer. This is laughable. You have 1) The dedicated gamer who plays lots of games and spends a lot of time on them, and 2) The gamer that plays occasionally the obvious hits.

Apprantly there are no people in this middle ground, cool !

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
kingcon said:
Anyone who failed their A levels because they were playing on many a game instead of revising and attending lectures is a real gamer in my book

No they are a benefit receiving/burger flipping cock.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The only real hardcore gaming I think I ever did was on the n64. Goldeneye sessions after college every day with four friends for about a year.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ch3tan said:
The only real hardcore gaming I think I ever did was on the n64. Goldeneye sessions after college every day with four friends for about a year.
We just pretended to be your friends ;)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Because you all enjoyed having your arse's handed to you in Goldeneye daily?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Proper gamer, proper husband, proper wife....bah, wake up and smell the brasilian.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
a proper gamer is someone who enjoys playing a game to the best of his/her ability.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom