Prog is back. And (gulp) good?

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
I've had a musical revelation over the last couple of weeks. It's been ten years or more since I discovered Nirvana and last felt so amazed by music. Despite the baggage the genre brings with it (shite, overblown wankfests) it seems prog is starting to take off creatively again with loads of bands re-kindling the spirit of their 60s forefathers.

First off, if you're ANY way into heavy guitar music, you need to check out a band called Oceansize - album "Effloresce". Or for a song, have a listen to "All This Will Be Yours". Dredg's "Leit Motif" is similarly good.

The real gem though is The Mars Volta's album "De-Loused In The Comatorium". :eek2: They formed from the remnants of Texas hardcore legends At The Drive-In but this album sounds like nothing I've ever heard and is fast becoming my favourite album ever! People I've told to listen to it though have either had a huge fucking grin on their face and started ranting about it like me, or they've told me it made their ears bleed and made them cry, so I'm guessing it's not universally appealing.

I've even listened to a progressive Punk album - Refused's "The Shape of Punk to Come".

Also getting some spin at the moment are Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, Tortoise, Mogwai, and Mansun's "Six".

It's still not enough though - can anyone recommend me anything else? Someone said King Crimson but I tried that and didn't really like it.

And seriously, check sum 'dis shit out for yourselves.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Well, there's progressive and there's selfproclaimed progressive. Just a thought. Seen alot of something new, something borrowed and something blue (whole emo-scene last year was kinda...)

My knowledge of the bands you mention are poor to say atleast, guess I will have to check it out since im usually into alot of progressive types of metal mostly but ill give anything a listen aslong as it's original.

Oh, and I knew Refused from earlier, pretty cool stuff since it has some years on it's neck now. Too bad they split, guess ill have to comfort myself with:

The International Noise Conspiracy - Capitalism Stole My Virginity

An interesting band name with a equally interesting name on a song, if not more.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
Also getting some spin at the moment are Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions in the Sky, Tortoise, Mogwai

POST-rock.

UrganNagru

Fledgling Freddie
Not sure if they're true prog rock, and also they're a bit like marmite(you either love them or hate them) but try giving The Cooper Temple Clause- Kick up the fire and let the flames break loose, a listen (with head phones or a decent speaker setup obviously)

ECA

I am a FH squatter
fucking new genre in this week lads, great, lets cram it down peoples throats make some cash and move onto something else.

fuck off all non-music genre whoring fans.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
THe Cooper Temple clause belong to a more specific genre, a sound that dwells in the sewers of rock music, floating around, creating earthy and dark sounds. Like post-punk and new-wave the genre doesn't encapsulate a sound, more an ethos and general feeling or attitude(my). The genre? 'Shit'

Moving Target

Fledgling Freddie
I know...apart from the Cooper Temple Clause being good part, surely you could have worked that out.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
No, now you're thinking I don't get it. It just doesn't make sense.

Afx

Fledgling Freddie
I dont know if you'd class them as prog(although allmusic seem to: Click), But you should check out the Porcupine tree. Theyre a British band which it seems dont get much press over here but they really are good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom