Probable ideal grp setup?

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
First post in the pvp section^^

Anyway, what do people think will be the most opted full grp for wow rvr? Or isnt there one? Since the different classes seem to work alil on a rock/scissors/paper model might there be setups that will easily defeat some groups and struggle against others?

Anyway, ive heard Priest Priest Mage Mage Warrior as a probable setup - what group would this not work against?

There we go, give discussion :)

Swifti

Fledgling Freddie
Even though i managed to reply to this in the general forum :p (some tweaks yet fuzzy :p)

I would say: Priest, mage, mage, warrior, warlock

Priest (not shadow because hes there to heal, and if shadow he/she is most likely to blow their wod nuking or sommet, no offence to them. although it would be nice backup if our healer could have damage as a backup)

Fire/arcane mage. (quick single target takedown, with full arcane for the +dmg ability at the bottem and imp arcane explosion for later.

Ice/arcane mage. (has i think the most cc tools, with all ice the mage can cast 2 frost novas without cooldown. snare on bolts and snare on blizzard. Also imp arcane explosion with another mages + the aor snare from blizzard might come in useful.)

Warrior (tank to outlast the casters and not depend on the priest as much. also maybe a slam bot)

Warlock (now people would ususaly put another priest or mage here, or even a pally/shaman. but for the sake of discussion lets just say having a warlock in the group might be surprisingly better then you think. Healthstones for the group. has a rez. can stackup dots on multiple targets draing the enemy healers mana for the arcane pbaoe to be most effective. Also they have the best single cc and the sub's seduce can come in handy a lot. People think that warlocks are usless in group setups but i think they have a lot of room to better the other classes.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Best I've seen, I think, is Priest, Shaman, Mage, Warlock, Rogue.

Personally, I think Shaman, 2 x shadow priest, druid, mage :)

Swifti, the priest is going to get ganked first in any encounter, so you will pretty much always need a 2nd healer, ie druid / shaman / paladin or another priest.

According to what I've read, only shadow priests tend to survive long enough to be useful in an even / small PvP encounter.

To be honest, opted groups seem like a waste of time... this isn't DAoC, this is ZergaRama (as if DAOC wasn't), and you're probably going to be doing PvP in groups of 10-20 most of the time.

Swifti

Fledgling Freddie
Aye i agree. From what i've seen druid/shaman might be better taking the warlock spot, Paladin might be a desperate choice for a second healer since they might be trying to tank being offencive rarther then supportive. Seing two priests per group will be kinda rare since theres so few of them. But the ice mage should be one of the core classes in any group. Because thats what i intend to be :p .

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
2 shadow priests has to be the foundation of every group, both must have improved PW:S though and silence from shadow spec. The ability to shut down your opponents casters cannot be overrated

then mage, warrior and probably warlock/2nd mage

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Only one healing capable class seems very risky to me, once he is silenced/interupted/feared etc the group will become extremly vulnurable. If aiming for a proper selfcontained pvp grp i would make sure there was at least a backup healer in the group.

But then again, as SilverHood says, there remains to be seen how common grp vs grp combat will be. Perhaps the new battlegrounds will make it easier to find that kind of fights tho, provided they are large enough to have room for both zerg and fg fights.

Stekkerdoos

Fledgling Freddie
I haven't seen hunter here. Ok, the class doesnt do most ranged damage but the have some usefull insta shots and other abilities, and what about all the tracking abilities (especially track humanoids and track hidden), group speed, flare, can manage himself quite well and has pet.

I didn't play a hunter to 60, maybe the class get a lot weaker later on, but it suprised me I didn't see the hunter in this thread.

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
Lets see what Nolby Pride run with, then we'll know whats the optimum grp setup ;)

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
2 x Shadow priest, Warlock, Shammy, Hunter

Load of ranged damage - 3 charecters with fear - Good interupts - 2 pets

Would be good against casters and good against mele

Brilliance

Can't get enough of FH
1) Holy/Disciple priest (Heal, nuke assist pala who's holy debuffing, dispel)
2) Shadow Priest (Silence, dmg, dispel)
3) Paladin(Tank, Deal dmg, Resists, Heals)
4) Warrior (Tank, interrupt, dmg, execute)
5) Mage(Poly, Dmg + Snare and freeze targets in terms of CC if Frost, Dmg if Fire or Arcane)

Unfortunalty the only thing a druid would be useful is in-combat rezz, cause there's no other char that offers that in WoW.

*Pls note that Fear and Polymorph are overestimated. Dispels are insta, there are buffs that negate on fear, Warr's can be immune and have talents to increase resist chance.

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
Garok said:
2 x Shadow priest, Warlock, Shammy, Hunter

I think hunters are the least wanted group char atm, they dont really have anything to bring to a group that other classes cant do better: ranged dmg - mage, melee - rogue, plus their only group ability, the 40% ( iirc ) speed boost isnt worth it most of the time because if you get hit whilst its on you get dazed, which gives some sort of negative penalty, i cant remember what though.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Looks like PvP in WoW will be very zergy (Login > Area X is under attack, go there and join the fight). Running an opted group for zerg farming will need heavy AoE damage. Maybe 2x shadow priest, 2x Mage and Warlock (warlock looks good for cleaning up on the sides or cc).

Although I haven't really checked out the high level abilities of each class. Can anyone reveal how many types of CC/interrupts there are in the game and which ones work the best?

What is a warriors role in PvP? In DAoC they became damage dealers more than anything, but in WoW it looks like the warrior's damage is suspect... so what else can they do? :p

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
warriors damage is low but at least they can cause it over a long long time, being they dont have to stop dealing damage

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
atm theres loads of cries for warriors to be un-nerfed cos apparantly they arn't doing too well, so think i'll be playing one in EU retail - they have lots of nice tools i.e. Intimidating shout, like a fear but will cause the guy your hitting to stand still and have just his allies run away.

they also get an aoe snare = v handy. Problem i see with warriors is they take insane micromanagement to perform at their very best, the player needs to know when and where each stance is required, whereas from what i've seen most warriors just seem to stay in one stance

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
to be honest although i feel that certain groups have "more" chance of succeeding in PvP, i think that Blizzard has done a good enough job to ensure that all classes will be useful in PvP

if they have 2 priests as foundation for group though :p

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Whisperess said:
Ideal groups? Bleh. Boring.

Well personaly ill likely be in a guild that wont bother with ideal groups and hardcore fg vs fg combat (if indeed its even possible), but its still interesting to see what people perceive as beeing the strongest setups :)

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
I dont think all these 'hardcore' guilds will stick to WoW for too long, if they want a new Daoc, this isnt it.

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
i think the hardcore guilds would realise this game is more skillful than daoc

why would anyone want a new daoc anyway? terrible game

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
daoc is terrible now but at 1.65 it was great

i agree with k9 that wow is goign to be a lot more skill dependant, each class has a multitude of abilitys and tasks within a group, plus only a group of 5... this will have a number of implications

1 weak player will almost certainly cripple a group in 5 v 5, this was the same somewhat with daoc - but there are many times groups of 4-5 have taken groups of 8 out, in wow i don't think this will be harder to do against superior numbers of people people who can play even a bit - i dont think 5 players could take 8 out (unless the 8 are totally dire) - there are very few Iwin buttons, such as insta-aoe mezz, or aoe stun or group purge, and each side has basically the same tools available at their disposal

this works the other way though - a group of 5 poor players will be demolished by a group of 5 good players, without the ability to shrug it off blaming it on overpowered abilities. I think wow will be a better measure of individual skill than daoc ever was, mainly due to my first point: each class has a LOT to bring to the table, the good players will know how to maximise their potential, while others will probably be slower to recognise when a certain abilility needs to be used

i can cite a number of examples:

i.e. the difference in quality of a warrior, some run around screaming nerf cos they can't hold aggro off a paladin, whiel i've witnessed well played warriors hold aggro all the way through elite dungeons

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I guess the PvP servers may become more like DAoC as people reach maximum level, but I can't see it happening in the short term. Most levelling and questing is done solo so most PvP encounters will happen when you are alone ... or if your guild has decided to have a PvP session as a group -- but then they will fall behind in their levelling.

There are some instance zones set in the disputed regions so it's possible that some PvP group fights might happen on the way to/from those zones, but I still think that DAoC'ers will find the game somewhat different to what they're used to.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I was in a hilararious group for Shadowfang Keep last night (never again I may add) 4 Mages and a Rogue. As soon as we hit the horrible soldiers and silenced we were fubar.

It was most amusing.

I think that the warrior in a group is underestimated our first group split (as was necessary - too much magic) and we re-grouped 2 mages 1 priest 1 warlock and 1 rogue - we really needed a decent tank ...........

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
Must be insane to redo every paladin buff after 10/30 mins (depending on buff). And beside that a shadow priest heals just as well as holy priest cause those few %s aren't gonna do much good.

Personally I think most groups have a chance in winning no matter how the group looks like. But my guess is surely on 2 priests in it (or a shaman with it) and a hunter/warlock + mage combination.

2 Priests (or 1 Priest + 1 Shaman for Horde).
1 Hunter or Warlock.
1 Mage (might even be 2 for pwning morph + ae root).

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
why do you even think hunter is a group char? low dps, sure got a pet for interrupt but?

Deacan

Fledgling Freddie
Yoni said:
I was in a hilararious group for Shadowfang Keep last night (never again I may add) 4 Mages and a Rogue. As soon as we hit the horrible soldiers and silenced we were fubar.

It was most amusing.

I think that the warrior in a group is underestimated our first group split (as was necessary - too much magic) and we re-grouped 2 mages 1 priest 1 warlock and 1 rogue - we really needed a decent tank ...........

I've done that but my group was 4 warlocks and a Warrior, the extra 4 tanks was a great help :D

Khale

Fledgling Freddie
Z^^ said:
why do you even think hunter is a group char? low dps, sure got a pet for interrupt but?

Pet+Hunter is more dps then a single warrior... The only thing that a warrior has now as pre is the taunt. A pet can take care of a mob for some time if you are fighting multiple mobs at a time (and you will do that a lot).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom