Private Medical Insurance

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
This is a bit of a cheeky one, but I'm wondering if any of you guys have got private medical insurance and if so who you use to provide it & roughly how much you pay.

Reason being, I do and this years renewal landed on the doormat this morning. It's complete BS (read nearly double) so my current provider has consigned themselves to the dustbin.

Out of pure curiosity for those that don't, is there a specific reason why you don't?

Nate

FH is my second home
Bupa, clean bill of health never had any surgery/problems 24yr old £30/month ish

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
this will mean nothing to you, obv, however I have it (the other thing doesn't exist in NL any more actually iirc). The total cost is approx 290e per month, but my employer is kind enough to reimburse me about 150e. For that I get the highest physical and the second highest grade dental.

which reminds me I have to book a dentist appointment :/

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
I'm lucky enough to be on the Friends & Family package with Benenden. After initially being told that to see a consultant would be at least two months to being told that as I have private cover it'll be a week I've decided to never go back to relying on the NHS if I can help it.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I don't have private health insurance because I can't afford it.
Things like keeping a roof over the head, food in the belly and the car fueled, tax and insured take priority.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
i used to be with BUPA, but they refused to go on insuring me cos i was costing them too much :D

not sure who i have it with now, will have to check

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Nope, I'm happy enough with the NHS, and you can still pay for private treatment if you really want it. I don't see the point of paying for something you can get for free.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Finland here *breaks own legs and catches numerous STDs* Freeeeedom! :p

Chilly

Balls of steel
bupa thru work. fuck knows how much it costs but I have to pay £100 excess at most once per year.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Cheers for the replies. They've sent me through a renewal so I went on their website, if I pick the top dog package it costs less than my renewal without any discounts or any excess. Most stupid and they're having a hard time explaining it to me.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
BUPA through work. Excess is £100 if I remember rightly, but I've never had to use it in the past 5 years I've had it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Had BUPA for a couple of years. Ditched them 'cause they made me feel like I was some sort of insurance fraud criminal.

No insurance now - I paid to get my ankles fixed out of my own pocket. If I'm struck down with anything nasty the NHS will catch me and for the amount of money they want I can put up sitting on a mixed ward with old people dying in front of me :)

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Used to have BUPA paid for when my dad worked, but when he retired i decided to pay foir it myself. Had my wisdom teeth out through them, but when i hit 25 the premium more than doubled and at the time i couldn't afford it

I might look back into it now though, just to see how much it is

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
The bupa cover my wife had through work i think was over 100 a month, but all she paid was the tax on it. Can't say it was bad value though as i ended up having over 10,000's worth of treatment on it in 2 years. That was their top cover though which even allowd treatment for pre existing conditions. I suspect these days i'm totally ineligible for private medical in the same way i'm barred from having life insurance :(

Tilda

Bupa, paid for by work so £0.
Wouldn't take it out otherwise as its not worth it. From what I've seen of BUPA hospitals, if I'm having major surgery/illness I'd rather have it under the NHS.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Bupa, paid for by work so £0.
Wouldn't take it out otherwise as its not worth it. From what I've seen of BUPA hospitals, if I'm having major surgery/illness I'd rather have it under the NHS.
Private hospitals are lovely, the one i went to was like a hotel, i'm just annoyed i wasn't aware i was entitled to the room with the 40 inch plasma and leather sofas in it :(

THe major advantage to me was being able to get an instant referral from my GP and being able to pick my consultant. One of the problems i had (perineal abcess fact fans) had been operated on twice by an incompetant butcher on the NHS who couldn't even be bothered to listen to me when i told him what the problem was which lead to me being in agony for over 5 years and extremely sick. With my BUPA cover i found an expert in the field who saw me the day after my gp, listened to me and immediately found the actual problem and performed surgery within 2 days. Suffice to say she did an amazing job and i've been infection free for over a year now.

That and the fact the gastroenterologist i was seeing for something else was able to do every test available to me and could actually spend time doing it rather than rushing through which meant he managed to pick up a terminal cancer before it was too late means i'm always going to be a big fan of the private. I love the NHS and everything it can offer and would have it over any other system in the world, but the private care i recieved was a revelation.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
This is a bit of a cheeky one, but I'm wondering if any of you guys have got private medical insurance and if so who you use to provide it & roughly how much you pay.

Reason being, I do and this years renewal landed on the doormat this morning. It's complete BS (read nearly double) so my current provider has consigned themselves to the dustbin.

Out of pure curiosity for those that don't, is there a specific reason why you don't?

Phone them up and tell them that, they will likely reduce it to your old rate. Every insurance company will give you a discounted rate for the first year and increase it on the second year, they catch a lot of people out this way as it is auto renewed and they can just call it an "introductory rate"

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
bupa through work i dont have to pay anything no idea what the coverage is tho as ive never had to use it hope i never have to tbh not a fan of hospitals

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom