Pricefall on AMD CPU's

Sollers

Fledgling Freddie
Very interesting.

I'm upgrading me and my misses PCs in a month and the choice for the intel core 2 duo E6600 seemed pretty fixed. The X2 6000+ now though is like 30 euro cheaper and, according to the tests in the above link, is very close to the performance of the E6700 which costs 300 euro. Would AMD be the way to go then? or will intel be forced now to drop the prices of their core 2 duo processors?

qq :<

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
Ignoring the price factor and any potential price drops on either companies part;

Base peformance is only one indicator. The X2 6000 has several key problems. It has high power consumption and also very high normal operating temperature (typically 50% hotter than its core duo equivalents).

The first effect of these is that it costs more to run and it is likely to have a shorter lifetime.

The other outcome from these two indicators it is very obvious that the overclock potential of the CPU is far less than the core duo range. With stock CPU fan the E6600 can be clocked significantly faster than a E6700 (base speed) with no risk or noticable temperature increase. With an average cost aftermarket fan significantly better performance than a E6800 can be achieved while still having much lower temperatures than an AMD CPU.

I havent spent much beyond normal cooling and my PC performs much faster any base E6800 'extreme edition' :)

If you do want to run everything factory its an okay choice for a CPU however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom