Pre QW Quake life

T

TBF[Pazuzu]

Reminiscing here, anyone still around who used to play on servers such as Wildnet CTF? I just discovered a CD with a load of screenshots on it, that I took on this server about 6 years ago. Ahh, the good old days, things were simpler then, and telephone bills were larger.

TBF[Pazuzu]

W

Whez

hey!

Hey Pazuzu!! I am 2 months late as i didn't see your post.

How are you?? I used to play in TBF looooooong lonnng time ago as TBF.Whez. Do you remember me? Also TBF.Lestat joined quite later on.

I wish i had some screenshots and demos to watch of the good old days. If you see this get in touch with me whezly@yahoo.com

I have just started playing QWCTF on the dutch servers now..it is going for a bit of a revival. Even if it doesn't last, its for the good memories. Cu!

W

Whez

Let me add, if ANYONE has any UKCTFL demos or even screenshots of any clan/matches from any season whatsoever, please leave contact details here!! I would LOOVE to see them.

Let me blast some names i can remember from the UKCTFL days. I bet some of you reading this will remember even older clans before i came.

ASQ - Assasination squad
DS - Darkside
EW - Elemental Warriors
N1Q
VR
TBF
BSE
Nasty
Moo
:)QD:)
QoD
2T - Two Tribes

Thats all i can remember for now. Please feel free to fill in!

S

Shmoo303

Blimey, there's some names from the past. It would almost be worth re-installing QW and getting a server somewhere to have an old boys game.

Paz, Whez - if either of you ever read this, mail me: shmoo-at-barrysworld.com with those screenies or demos

Ta

Shmoo

C

Chameleon

heheh lo shmoo :) Not seen you in q3 for ages m8.
I got into QW a little later, but still recall a few of those clans. Those were indeed the days!

C

.Cask

The PC I used to play Quake on is dead and buried now, no chance of any demos or screenshots surviving. Recognise a lot of the names there although is a bit fuzzy,was quite a while ago.

I played as [DAC]Vince and then EW.Lithium. Makes me cringe slightly to admit it as it was over 6 years ago and I was a gimpy teenager back then. MinosCTF was the server I played on most if I remember right.

Good memories of logging into a server and recognising half of the people on there. Don't get that much anymore on the games I play. But wouldn't want to go back to the days of struggling with a 200 ping and my sister kicking me off the PC so she could do her homework.

S

Shmoo303

Heh, Camelon and Lithium as well.... more come out of the woodwork.

Cham - I must admit, I haven't played q3 for a *loooong* time. Played some CS, and still do a bit. Haven't upgraded for for two years, so not really able to play the current crop of online games :( May have to do something about that.

Shmoo

C

Chameleon

Yeah go for an upgrade mate. hl2 and doom 3 soon, plus q3ctf is still a good laf, Call of Duty, etc. Not as much fun as qw was ;) but still good stuff!
Oh yeah, this too! :eek:

C

.Cask

Yeah definitely upgrade Shmoo, those voodoo2's in SLI mode just don't cut it anymore! Trying to imagine how much better QW would have been with everyone on broadband and with todays hardware. Think it would spoil it a bit, just getting QW working over internet was an accomplishment. I remember when they first added the pushlatency command and how much a difference it made.

Was annoying when everyone started getting ISDN and I'd be dead before I even saw the rocket leave their launcher. Think that's what made me quit for a while, then I started paying for my own ISDN line but played HL TFC instead.

H

HangTime

You can find recent QW CTF demos here: http://www.challenge-tv.com/index.php?mode=demos&game=2&type=6

In order to view MVD (all pov) demos you will need a modern client like fuhquake from www.fuhquake.net (which I would highly recommend using anyway).

The primary portal for QW these days is www.quakeworld.nu , not much CTF stuff there but we like to keep it updated regularly with various issues.

#quakeworld and #fuhquake on quakenet if you need any assistance.

edit: oh, and broadband users should download a load of movies from here to see what modern QW is like: http://qwmovies.does.it . qwre-hi, FDE2-HQ, tfde2_hq and dde2 are must-sees.

Users who are viewing this thread