PQ and RvR Leveling

Maasu

Fledgling Freddie
I hate quests in games, running up to an NPC asking him how many bears he wants killing etc. etc. It's just utterly disheartening to me in these games (i dunno how i managed it in WoW and avoided Agent Mission like the plague in Eve online).

What i'd like to ask those whom were in CB is whether or not you can pretty much avoid or in the very least only have to do a few quests on your way to level 40.

Can you level your rank through RvR and PQ alone? In a practical sense i mean, will i have to repeat PQ's to the point of utter boredom, what's the XP like that you get from RvR?

misterjingo

Fledgling Freddie
I hate quests in games, running up to an NPC asking him how many bears he wants killing etc. etc. It's just utterly disheartening to me in these games (i dunno how i managed it in WoW and avoided Agent Mission like the plague in Eve online).

What i'd like to ask those whom were in CB is whether or not you can pretty much avoid or in the very least only have to do a few quests on your way to level 40.

Can you level your rank through RvR and PQ alone? In a practical sense i mean, will i have to repeat PQ's to the point of utter boredom, what's the XP like that you get from RvR?

You can happily RvR your way upwards - although dedicated questers will probably level faster than you. Keep in mind that you'd be levelling RR and level at the same time, so being slower is justified.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie

PQ only give bonus xp the 1st time you do them
yes you can rvr from Rank 1 but you will be at a disadvantage, also note they have added some OH i see you have already killed x amount of mobs here is a reward

Enli

Fledgling Freddie
PQ only give bonus xp the 1st time you do them
the things u kill still give XP and looking at the fact that some PQ pop lots of mobs...
Tho i dont remember that the XP bonus per stage dissapears after doing it 1x, anyhow no way to test it till... well when they get back on.

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
the things u kill still give XP and looking at the fact that some PQ pop lots of mobs...
Tho i dont remember that the XP bonus per stage dissapears after doing it 1x, anyhow no way to test it till... well when they get back on.
this is true you can kill the mobs for xp but then that just grinding

the bonus xp is only ment to be there for the 1st time you complete the stage but dont forget theres normally 3 to 5 stages per PQ and the 3 to 5 PQ per tier

dont forget you also get xp from tomb unlocks aswell

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
You can RvR from 1-40 no problems, no need to kill any monsters at all from what I have seen. In Preview weekend that is all I did and i got to level 12 by the end of it and had enough money to buy all the gear i needed from rr6 (tier2) gear. Just remember to take the quest to kill X amount of enemy players to get some cash, hopefully that doesnt rank under your 'boring kill task' quest list :)

Also got some nice armour off one of the other players i killed as well..

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah you can level all the way from 1-40 without ever killing a mob or doing a quest, the problem with levelling in RvR is that you wont have enough cash to buy your skills (atleast it was like this in the beta).
However, if you take Scavenging (trade skill) you can scavenge enemy players that you or someone else killed and get items (other trade skill items) that you can sell and get alot of money for it.
With Scavenging I was able to buy a mount at level 20 and fund alot of people in my guild to buy a mount.

The XP you get from RvR is not that much per individual kill but if you do Scenario's you end up getting bonus XP for winning the scenario (or losing ;p), just to give an indication I got 27k exp per won Scenario and I needed 800k XP to level from 39-40 iirc so doing scenario's alot will be a fun and relatively easy way to level.
Though I heard some rumors that they decreased the XP gain across the board so I don't know if it's still as fast as it used to be.

misterjingo

Fledgling Freddie
Though I heard some rumors that they decreased the XP gain across the board so I don't know if it's still as fast as it used to be.

This wouldn't be such a bad thing, as levelling in beta was faster than wow, and I was expecting it to be more like the days of DAoC.
Before people complain about the possibility of a slow levelling system, i'd like to remind them that you can RvR over objectives from level one, and the t2 zones contain the first (smaller) keeps - so except for epeen bragging, there shouldn't be a need to rush to endgame as endgame permeates the entire game from level 1.

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH

Also, you dont have to ask the NPC first, if you killed 10 bears and he wants you to kill 10 bears, he will give you the reward the first time you talk to him, as you already killed 10 bears.

saks

Fledgling Freddie
Also, you dont have to ask the NPC first, if you killed 10 bears and he wants you to kill 10 bears, he will give you the reward the first time you talk to him, as you already killed 10 bears.

i like this one tbh! :)

misterjingo

Fledgling Freddie

If i'm not mistaken, this is only true for 'kill collector' NPCs rather than quest NPCs themselves. I can't recall ever having a standard quest be complete as soon as I accepted it.

saks

Fledgling Freddie
imo its still quite nice.

Nothing more annoying then getting a quest needing to kill something you have just killed for ages.

misterjingo

Fledgling Freddie
imo its still quite nice.

Nothing more annoying then getting a quest needing to kill something you have just killed for ages.
It's definately nice - and very very confusing at level 1 for the first hour or two in the game. There are so many new ideas and NPCs that it's almost like starting your first MMORPG again :D

Maasu

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah you can level all the way from 1-40 without ever killing a mob or doing a quest, the problem with levelling in RvR is that you wont have enough cash to buy your skills (atleast it was like this in the beta).
However, if you take Scavenging (trade skill) you can scavenge enemy players that you or someone else killed and get items (other trade skill items) that you can sell and get alot of money for it.
With Scavenging I was able to buy a mount at level 20 and fund alot of people in my guild to buy a mount.

The XP you get from RvR is not that much per individual kill but if you do Scenario's you end up getting bonus XP for winning the scenario (or losing ;p), just to give an indication I got 27k exp per won Scenario and I needed 800k XP to level from 39-40 iirc so doing scenario's alot will be a fun and relatively easy way to level.

Cheers mate, and everyone else. Lots of good info here, and exactly what i wanted to hear. :clap:

Iceforge

Can't get enough of FH
If i'm not mistaken, this is only true for 'kill collector' NPCs rather than quest NPCs themselves. I can't recall ever having a standard quest be complete as soon as I accepted it.

Might be true, I only got it from the podcast and not from actually playing, as I was not in closed beta...

Popov

Fledgling Freddie

Sadly that only works on the strange world that Paul lives on, the rest of us have to do it the old fashioned way i.e. some dude wants wolves killed and you have to kill them regardless of how many you have killed previously HOWEVER there may be another guy standing around nearby who hates wolves and will give you e.g. 50xp for every wolf you have already killed.

Aqe

One of Freddy's beloved
I plan on leveling up with PQs and Scenarios. No running around :)

Mellon

Fledgling Freddie
There is another way to gain small amounts of xp wihtout questing: By exploring the world! The exploration xp are significant (compared to wow) and there are a lot of hidden tome unlocks and similar that are pretty rewarding. And I personally finds it a very enjoyable way to spend my time since there is a lot of interesting nooks and corners and strange humourus things to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom