Power Levelling

D

Danamyr

Hello there, my first post so I'll try not to irk you regulars :)

Is is possible to power level still?

I am a complete noob at DAoC, having only played for around 4 months (married life and my job make sure I have little spare time), and I was under the impression it was not longer possible to power level in the accepted sense.

However, having a browse through the old posts (one in particular from last month) suggested that power levelling was still possible?

Please clear this up...TIA :)

BTW, I have three characters, all of which you may have seen online:

Danamyr Lvl 27 Paladin
Riverwind Lvl 23 Cleric (Yes I realise Goldmoon would have been more appropriate but she was taken!)
Fireforge Lvl 6 Fire Wizard (Someone had already nabbed both Raistlin and Flint - damn you fellow Dragonlance Chronicle readers :) )

All of which are in the same Guild - The Dragon-Fighters, a truely great bunch of peeps :)

O

old.Ramas

Not really, you can reduce downtime a little by having an ungrouped cleric/friar heal you when out of combat. Or up your damage a bit with high level e-buffs. But at the end of the day you still have to kill the mobs.

Most newbies get more out of "powerleveling" sessions through the advice given by a high level watching them, than through actual accelerated levelling.

C

Centuri

Yes powerlvling is still in the game and possible. There are a couple of ways in which it can be done.

First, and hardest way i find is to get into a group of 7 people who are all about 4-6 lvls above you.

Second, have a very high lvl sorc or theur(with aoe root/mess) friend and do tanglers with just him and you in group. This could also be done with a cleric and minstrel on the outside who can help out after a fight for mana or healing.

Third way is to group with someone who can take out yellows/oranges fast, best for this is a firewizard he will have to be a high lvl aswell.

There are other ways but those are the main ones really.

New chars can also be powerlvled with just the best eb, and haste buffs. Its possible to get a lvl 1 - 5 in about 30 minutes if you know the right spots. This main works for tanks might be a little more down time for a caster, but a cleric can solve that problem.

Basic rule i have learnt is that without being in a group powerlvling can work with 1 or 2 outside people just healing rooting buffing and recharging for lvls up to about 20.

O

old.Ozwin

If you take a look at the 1.53 patch notes they are widening the level range that people can group together. Effectively allowing powerlevelling to be much easier.

O

old.FIN

Best styles to pwr is
1. keep group so small as possible, u dont need cleric always
2. highest lvl c the lowest as green
3. keep downtime small
4. kill yellows/oranges to highest, depends a lot what characters u got in group and how many, take lowers if they group
5. be buffed
6. Let the higher guys play
7. Learn whats done and why its done, so u know later when u r the highest
8. dont get aggro =)

O

old.Kiarra

Well, I have PLed a few folks with their alts specifically for BG, it has been fast leveling all the way to 22, using Kessica (cleric) as a buff bott and heals outside the grp, looks after adds, etc, and a lvl 24 armswoman soloing oranges and reds with no downtime.

Alas I dont do it now because some of those folks ended up being pure takers and to this day, have not kept their promises of helping me back. I do enough for the realm already. I cant do everything :rolleyes:

One more point to go then every weapon turns grey to make :D Then I shall level up Kiarra. I kept my promise to help you all out with weapons. Will Albion folks keep theirs and help me level ? I wonder especially with all the arguments of having Infils in groups. We shall see.

I have 30 orders outstanding, so please be patient... thanks.

W

-Wedge-

You can't really powerlevel, since what ever XP the (higher) group gives you, is the same you would/could get in a good group around your own level... (unless your within level 'range')

Its just, some classes have a hard time getting good groups... And good (really good) groups are sometimes hard to get at lower levels...

The only way that the lower level gets XP (good XP) is when the mob that your attacking is a challange to the group your in... That means yellow for a group of 2, orange for a group of 4, reds for a group of 8... (or higher) (challange is some calculation that even mythic couldnt explain really good, but follow the yellow/orange/red 'rule' and your pretty good)

If a group of 3 can take on reds without too much downtime, then they can level a few lowbies...

Thats why a fire-wizz is so nice, a fire-wizz can take out most yellows so easy and so fast... (and yellows are good for a group of max 2 ppl)

W

-Wedge-

I must add though, that having a 44+ wizard or 48 theurgist help you, will speed up the first 16-20 levels...

Earthen buff generally doubles your damage output till level 16 and add a nice amount of damage up to 24...

And a 48 theurgist (lower will ofcourse also do, but not optimal), has a haste buff which is really nice too...

A good buff cleric is also nice, but you'll hit your stats cap pretty fast...

D

Danamyr

I'll level with you anytime I am on mate - just PM either one of those chars I mentioned. If the one I am using at the time is not suitable, then I can always log and use another :)

L

Legaoniel_v

pl

Hey Kiarra - don't think you'll have any problem getting anyone to help you powerlevel - but my 45 cleric (Legaoniel) is at your disposal! Just msg me in game!

(I forgot to look at your alt lvls before I posted but I also have a 20 armsman if that's any use - all my other alts are considerably lower!;) )

R

Radghast

kiarra id be more than happy to give u a hand, im already lvling a couple people but im 50 aka bored! so i dont mind :) pm me in game if u fancy it

H

Hit ^_^

having a lvl5+ char in a tree group was realy affective before they removed chainging.
guess its one of the best ways. if there aint a lvl48+ char in group.

O

old.Odysseus

Doing an aoe group with 1 lower level char can be effective if pulling large groupbs of green mobs fast.

An example could be nymphs on salis plains with a level 1 and 2-3 aoe wizzies for whom the nymphs are green.

Generally hard to organize, but output is immense.

Otherwise i always use EB, which is superior to getting cleric buffs till around level 15 +/- .

B

belth

Originally posted by Danamyr
Fireforge Lvl 6 Fire Wizard (Someone had already nabbed both Raistlin and Flint - damn you fellow Dragonlance Chronicle readers :)

*cough*Both in DK*cough*

O

old.LandShark

not to mention Raist, Raistlen, Reistlin, Raistlinn, Raistlon
*shrug*
As i told you in-game Kessica, if you ever need a crowd control monkey for your DF or DM group, give meh a shout.

D

deadparrot

You can power lvl with seige equipment, although actually getting the thing to the xp spot will be a big pain.

A trebuchet (lvl3) will hit a lvl 20 mob for 1000 pts heat dmg, also its ae :)
(going to 200 for lvl 50 mobs)
And cost about 30-40g, just remember to bring lots of ammo.

I know a balista (lvl2) will hit the cornish frogs, bears (cornwall) for 700 odd killing them outright, and any in its smaller ae radius. Not sure of their lvl tho.

Z

zlair

I hope this haven't been in this thread before (at work and no time for me to read all posts ;) )

I always thought doing tanglers was THE way to pwrlvl, but no, not anymore...

If u have enough gold, do catapult-lvling, that ROX !!! Do it solo, when below 30, and when above be 2-3 in grp (all must have their own catapult). I went from 17 to 21 in less than one hour, so its rly cool :)

Dont have time to tell the details (boss just entered), but find a spot where there's a lot of mobs closely packed and start fireing (I used a high lvl theurg to get agro, but that only works when mobs below 36 (i think), since he must not be dmged)

Another thread explains how this work, so try and search for it (i got the idea from there, tryed it, and went like OMFG ;) )

DISCLAIMER : If u die, u die, and not my fault ;)
DISCLAIMER : I haven't tried high lvl mobs (no one seems to be willing to do it with me ;) )

Z

zlair

ARGGHHH....

Me very stupid (just read the above post :p )

Sry sry sry...

F

Flimgoblin

I've found infiltrators are very useful in aoe groups :) probably better than 2h or polearm armsmen/paladins due to being able to attack faster, taunt more, and get aggro.

Of course it requires they know what they're doing :)
(but that can be taught)

So find some pbaoe groups with Kiarra :)

Oh and a lvl 50 earth wizard would be the ultimate in low level power levelling - those damage shields are sick for the first 20 levels :) and with at least 45 in earth you get nice earth buffs :) (same as a 6s pbt theurg... but there's not many of them around)

shame we've not got many around ;)

O

old.Second

ok this is without reading all the yapp answers:p

i got a sweet powerlvl of my ranger on pryw and this is how it was done:

7 peeps from lvl 45-50
1 lurki ranger lvl 27

they were hunting their normal stuff in Cursed forest and after abit over 1 hour i was lvl 29=)

so powerlvling is still working=)

if you put 2 lowlvls in the grp then you get crappyola xp hehe.=)

U

Uriron

Hmm interesting..I need to power lvl my 100% earth wiz but i have struggled hanging round with lvl 50, it was quicker to kill task.

I saw the post on using catapults :) question is do i have to craftskill up or could someone lend me one? :))) Lyonesse Dunters may be a good start as they are quite close together at their spawn point.

Plz dont flame about powerlvling nOOb etc I have a lvl 37 cleric and have been playing since release on a casual basis (3X5hours a week yes yes i know i'm slow leveler i didn't know about kill tasking when i first started) I just wanna get me earth wiz ready for RvR when the next patch comes and i get DoT & GTAoE !!!! Then I can do my bit for albion keep taking and defending.

Any other help or advice on power lvling would be usefull.

Oh Kiarra my 37 cleric is available whenever u like for help lvling.

FOR ALBION!

O

old.Second

Catapult at pygmys would be fun too:p

anyone wanna hit the beach ?

F

Flimgoblin

hmm... trebuchet could be funny :)

imagine the damage will be pish tho..

being powerlevelled sounds very dull :) I could probably stomach it once in a blue moon if I've hit a really sucky level... but I don't think I'll try that one regularly :)

O

old.Second

bah and you nagg to me about powerlvl your chars every day:p

J

Juanita

Albs should really give PBAoE a try. It's the only way 40+ you can get decent xp in Hibernia (Unless you can still solo yellows with very low downtime.. bards cant ;))
Last night i was in such a group and made 1 bubble in 45 mins at lvl 45. Also in such groups you usually have a "free" spot, that can be filled by a charcater that is not a "requirement" for the group to survive. There you can put low lvl peeps, or what usually happens now (not before though), nightshades/rangers. The mobs are usually purple/red to the highest tank so xp is really good for everyone ;)

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by old.Second
bah and you nagg to me about powerlvl your chars every day:p

only wanted boosting from 3 to 5 ;) (I hate levels 3/4) with my alt :p

Users who are viewing this thread