Possible Virus Problem

D

darthshearer

I was doing one of my regular virus checks, t'other night after my computer was doing a few "weird" things;restarting, crashing, acting sluggish and slow.

I was doing a virus check and about 40% through it hadnt detected anything (Using Norton). Whilst I was Virus checking in the background I was IRC and like an IRC message or any other Windows message (btw Im using XP Pro) it popped up once or twice telling me that a certian file was corrupt and to do scan with chkdsk. After a couple more mins my PC restarted again, so I decided to call it a night and try when I get home tonight.

What I would like to know is.
a) Does this bad file thingy sound like a virus?
b) What Should I run first? Chkdsk (Norton Disk Doc) or NAV?

Thanking You :)

D

darthshearer

One was a file from my Freelancer directory and another hmm I think....was IRC or may have been Windows 32? cant rem.

Edit by Moi I started my PC up last night and before it got into windows, (It got past the XP with the bar thingy) it did a chkdsk. Anyway it deleted some orphan files and some others. I noticed one of the files it deleted was a file taht showed corrupt as mentioned before ???

Im scared now :(

T

throdgrain

I think you could have a windows re-install coming up m8, but other than that I cant help im afriad sorry :(

W

Will

Put in your windows CD, boot from it, and choose to install Windows. It wil detect your existing install and offer to repair it. I would try, its worth a shot.

D

Dr_Weasel

Is your HDD making any odd noises or reaseaking more than normal?

I had a similar problem with files becoming corrupt shortly before a complte HDD failure.

It might be worth downloading a Drive Fitness Test program from your HDD manufacturer and checking it out.

D

darthshearer

My HDD isnt maing no odd noises no?
It has been doing that chkdsk thingy at the start quite a lot recently. Ie 1 a fortnight where as it didnt do that. I really realy dont want to format :(

Can my NDD Do anything?

W

Will

Originally posted by darthshearer
I really realy dont want to format :(

Originally posted by Will
Put in your windows CD, boot from it, and choose to install Windows. It wil detect your existing install and offer to repair it. I would try, its worth a shot.

D

darthshearer

:)

Hehe I saw that sorry will, Thanks I shall give it a whirl :)

T

Testin da Cable

fdisk is what you need :)

a good idea is to use an application like Ghost to make an image of a freshly installed windows partition. reinstalling is then a question of booting with a floppy, starting up ghost and telling it to put the image back. bada-bada-bing!

D

darthshearer

Is it easy to use this Ghost? I have always kept away from it as im scared :(

T

Testin da Cable

Is it easy to use this Ghost? I have always kept away from it as im scared :(

it's easy as pie :)

T

Tom

formatting and reinstalling aint so bad, actually it will make your computer run faster, because you won't have all the uninstalled shit there anymore.

D

darthshearer

/me thinks he is gonna format tonight :(

I tried the repair thingy and nah! I think my machine just needs a format and all the shite taking off and starting again :(

That mean and end to all my fave "art" :(

C

Cdr

Originally posted by Tom
formatting and reinstalling aint so bad, actually it will make your computer run faster, because you won't have all the uninstalled shit there anymore.

uhuh, formats are good. I like to reformat my HDD about 4 or 5 times a year. It gets rid of all the shit that builds up and obviously, like Tom says, makes windows run faster :)

That mean and end to all my fave "art"

Backup?

D

darthshearer

If I can get my windows working and can get some of my stuff off then Im OK! :)

Just I really havent been a man for backing stuff up :eek:
I will deffinatley now! Dont you worry!

Also when I do have my home PC back up and running what do I go about drivers?

I have always thought if my GFX Card etc is running ok then leave it, you dont need to update your card. Am I doing the basics wrong and being a naughty boy? :(

C

Cdr

heh, I think for the gfx card, it's always best to keep up-to-date with the latest driver set. Unless that set has issues with your favourite game.

I believe nVidia have fixed the issues that their last driver was having with BF1942 in the new 52.70s. So if you have an nVidia card, it might be worth downloading these. If you have an ATi card, the latest Cats (3.9) are certainly worth getting.

I do think it's worth updating the latest drivers for all your hardware, unless it has known issues with either a game you like or something else you may be doing with it.

D

darthshearer

Doods

Tis me on my PC at home :clap:

I have formatted and reinstalled, so now its only up from here :)

Thanks for all the help :)

Users who are viewing this thread