Pop-Ups.

E

Ekydus

Most annoying thing on the internet aren't they?

Come on... I'm surfing the forums then up comes a Pop-Up with the title "Get rid of Pop-Ups!", a few minutes later "100% Free of Pop-Ups!" and so on.

Come on... Just how clichéd can you possibly get?

Please, discuss.

O

old.job

Funny idea, but it must work or they wouldn't do it.

But surely the first rule of advertising is, dont piss people off and associate the product with annoyance.

I close down every single pop-up I ever see, don't even register the content, I just look for the real close down box.

My first thought when I see a pop-up is, rip-off merchants or criminals.

It goes against every rule of advertising, they don't get read, they piss off the reciever and you associate the content with being ripped off.

No wonder net-advertising is dead in the water.

V

Validus

indeed job. but not everyone is as "net-experienced" as most of us are. there are too many innocent people to take advantage of. take this for example: a 60 year old rich lady wants to know what the fuss about computers and internet is about. she buys a pc and gets an internet connection with the help of her children. once she goes online for the first time, a throng of leeches arrive to send her pop up ads/banners. now the old lady sees "CLICK HERE TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE". and so she does. and before she knows it she gives her credit card details and more to a total stranger. and ends up losing her identity and money. and she is forced to live in a low class retirement home funded by her children.

M

mirieth

Alt+F4 > pop-ups :).

I agree with Validus' point though, I think pop-ups are more aimed at the sorts of people (of whom there are plenty) who are less "net-wise" :p.

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by Ekydus
Most annoying thing on the internet aren't they?

Come on... I'm surfing the forums then up comes a Pop-Up with the title "Get rid of Pop-Ups!", a few minutes later "100% Free of Pop-Ups!" and so on.

Come on... Just how clichéd can you possibly get?

Please, discuss.

You shouldn't be getting pop-ups from these forums :/
Tried Ad-Aware or something? Or are the popups from another site you had open at the same time...

D

dk_flint

pop-ups are like some sellsman at your home´s door that throws his product at you, grabs your pocket and takes the amount of money it would cost. you can of course get your money back, if you can catch sellsman

S

Sharma

Originally posted by mirieth
Alt+F4 > pop-ups :).

Nope there are flash ones and such sometimes built into web pages that block the content you WANT to read until the animation finishes

K

katt!

i was surfing imdb (i think) yesterday. a fullscreen flash movie/ad pops up...

"YOU CANT ESCAPE".

oh, how fitting :X

J

Jonaldo

I purposely quit accessing the internet because of all the pop-ups, not gone back and used it since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom