Policy to make the forums more usable

B

Brinx

I'm posting this on General although it applies mostly to only a few boards so don't get too panicky on a whole :)

Original thread.

We've always accepted and not really had a problem with a degree of 'spamming' and posting without a great degree of content (so to speak :) ) but over the past month it's gotten out of control. This is mostly a problem limited to a few of the boards within this forum but obviously as people typically read/post to other parts as well it's spilt out more generally.

The biggest embodiment is the '+1' style of trend that’s happened more recently. At the beginning . I personally am spending probably half an hour per day just trying to get rid of +1, IBTL, pointless out of context emotes and so on. Combine that with all the work the other three mods are doing on a daily basis and it's a pretty obscene problem.

So getting to the point; for the purposes of avoiding long threads debating what spam includes:

• Posts/threads created purely to raise post count (excluding some threads with actual content like building up stories line by line etc)
  • Bumping multiple posts at once for no real reason (i.e, trying to get a username across all the threads on the index)
  • Any other persistent posting that just has a negative affect on the forum. Though this would be a case by case basis more so than a blanket rule like the previous two (thus very similar to what we’ve done for the past couple of years).

It’s tempting to add deliberately non-English posts into there but we won’t as that’s a separate issue.

The major point is that it's only people doing this persistently that are the problem and who'll be affected. There's no problem with 'casual' spammers :) and you're not going to be affected if you spam now and then. Hopefully very few people will come under this new policy and it’ll be a deterrent more than anything.

The procedure will be if you're ‘spamming’ in the above reasons:

1. Firstly one of the mods (me, Damini, Tilda, Cadire) will PM a warning.
  2. If it persists and posting carries on in the same manner after that the postcount will be reset.
  3. If after that it still continues the account will be banned (and of course any alternate accounts created to get around the ban after).
    [/list=1]

Before any screams of nazi modding and so on start we're doing this because it's gotten to a point where people are simply ignore things being deleted and posting similar stuff straight after again; a very small number of users from the total that visit here every day are essentially making it difficult for people who want to have decent discussions to do so; and although it's of smaller influence to the previous reasons - having pages of posts with no content doesn't exactly reflect well on the parent company or the community as a whole.

This isn't something we wanted to do - for me personally I'm not keen on putting in rigid policies as we’ve never had to in the past, but simply taking it in a more casual basis and dealing with the problem day by day seems to have been ignored.

Cheers,

B

BlitheringIdiot

Sad that it has to be done but its defintely needed.

A

Arnor

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

take THAT adari! :>

/hail Brinx and ze rest!

V

vintervargen

hehe, just kidding :). even tho i found it slight funny with postfarming stuff like +1 etcetc, but i have a very bad sense of humour tbh.

i think its needed in order to get better discussions going.

O

old.Nol

never in my entire life has the urge to put +1 on a post been so powerful...helppp meeeeeeeeee!

O

old.Tohtori

Originally posted by Brinx
Any other persistent posting that just has a negative affect on the forum.

Uh-oh! Their coming fer me furry skin!!

*RUNS*

*DUCKS*

*COVERS!*

G

Garh Khartari

I've never seen the point of post farming, so if this policy eases up your work some then thats great. :)

Less spam to browse through each day, yeehaa.

O

old.Kerosene

About time. This is the reason we have moderators. :clap:

B

Belsameth

Originally posted by old.Nol
never in my entire life has the urge to put +1 on a post been so powerful...helppp meeeeeeeeee!

glad I'm not the only one :p

+1 :)

*fluffles Brinx*

good move, this :)

O

old.shotgunstow

Another solution would be to get more mods, if you are seriously thinking it is too much work.

A

Arnor

Originally posted by old.shotgunstow
Another solution would be to get more mods, if you are seriously thinking it is too much work.

piss off spammer

S

SilverHood

wahey, its a start

now, if we could just figure out a way to get rid of those excal boards

:rolleyes:

S

'Shy

Please could we have a spam forum where we can go and take out of frustration? :)

SPAMFORUM4TEHWIN!!!111seven!11

B

Belsameth

yeah!
I love reading posts filled with +1
I absolutely can't think of anything more interesting to do...
how CAN you be so grosly misunderstood...

K

Kagato.

+1

Just kidding :D

No, seriously.... please put the knife down.

:p

K

katt!

Originally posted by Belsameth
yeah!
I love reading posts filled with +1
I absolutely can't think of anything more interesting to do...
how CAN you be so grosly misunderstood...

ofc i meant that. go spam in offtopic.

B

beck-uk

Thank the lord!

Seeing ppl spam just to raise their post count is really sad imo. Who cares how many posts you have done, does that make you uber? Or make your point of view better than mine? The answer is no.

Anyway, good work mod guys, ban the sad spamming freaks!

T

Teh Krypt

Just fyi, the reason people could be posting the same thing after its been deleted, is

A) They didnt realise it was deleted

b) They wonderd where the fuck the post went and reposted

c) are morons

d) This catagory includes everything else so no1 can argue with what else adds to teh list :(

L

Luv_Bunny

:( sowy

I just euh... always have a feeling i should reply to certain posts, especially those where ppl mention me or something i do/did, then the other one does the same so we often end up in a 1on1 dialoge in OT, suddenly a 3rd one joins in and... well, think you got the picture

all i wanna say:
I can't help it, plz don't kill me

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Thank fuck for that. I still think that all the +1ers should have their eyes stabbed out by an advanced AI script...but I guess this will suffice.

...for now.

D

Demolay

plz lets face it BW = when bored
VNBoard =info
Its all only a game forum nyhow get out more

O

old.Nol

it's Dodgy's fault, his +1 was the straw that broke the camels back. I just want you all to know I will punish him severely for it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom