Poker Etiquette

Gamah

Banned
Playing in a live cash tournament at a house game yesterday I found through a friend who goes.

Here's the situation.

I pick up 9 10 (d) in big blind..I have an M of about 6 (6 rounds left at a table) so I am getting desperate.

There's a limper under the gun and a limper in mid position, they have both been aggressive all game raising on any pair 8+ and any 2 face cards.

So I smell weakness and with a medium holding a push all in. My stack is still damaging to the 2 players behind me so I feel its the best move to pick up the SB + 2 limps as my table image is that of a relatively conservative player.

Under the gun folds as expected, the second limper however goes "oh may as well" and goes all in (I have her covered by like 200)

She turns over A 7 Off suit..(So I was like wtf?? in my head) a bad play by her.

Flop comes 4 7 3

Turn comes 9

River comes 2

I win with a pair of 9's and knock her out, yey!

So anyway I go to shake hands (which in my view is a sign of respect and no hard feelings) she says no..I don't shake with fishes.

Now excuse me, I was fucking pissed off by this! 1 because in my opinion that's a severe breach of poker etiquette and 2 because how dare someone who called an all in with a7 off suit call me a fish!!

But also forgetting poker that's just disrespectful!

What do you think?

Needless to say I won't be attending the said event again..shocking.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
What's a fish? :(

someone who goes in with a crap hand on the chance their card will come up on the table, ie fishing for cards.

Shes just a bad looser, with A7 she was fishing for a pair of aces but with 9T suited you have a potential for more hands so its worth looking at the flop - she clearly has no clue, and you should look for the chance to play her again - easy money :)

Got my next game on Tuesday nigth with the guys from work, its only a tenner each but I walked away in 1st place last time.

Craft

Fledgling Freddie
You called with 6xBB left, you didnt have much stack left, it wasnt worth you limping ion for other players to hit their draws, you had suited connectors, any 78x / JQx / 8Jx would have given you a straight draw, you did what most good players would do in that situation, fuck her and leave it, shes the sorry one, she left the table, theres only two types of people at a poker table, those that play and those that want to play, you my friend were still in the game :)

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
On this note, does anyone have any good advice/websites/recommended books on Poker?

I play with my friends alot, and lose constantly.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well, i don't like the play you made, but neither the all in by her, but that aside i think shaking hands and saying good luck and all that is total BS anyhoop. You don't want others to be lucky, you ARE glad they drop out and she was just pissed off that she lost. Probably has her own version of what fish means too.

I wouldn't think too much of it, getting pissed off about pissed off players is such a rookie thing :)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Well, i don't like the play you made, but neither the all in by her

TBH if my stack is really low and I havent had any good hands for a while I'd be tempted to play a 9T suited otherwise in a few more hands youd be out anyway.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
TBH if my stack is really low and I havent had any good hands for a while I'd be tempted to play a 9T suited otherwise in a few more hands youd be out anyway.

Well, 6 rounds is still 6 rounds to get better cards.

Going all in from big blind scares noone, as it's usually just a pushout play. So it, no matter if it is or not, looks like a bluff allin anyway. Only usable with big cards. Also limper under the gun is something you always watch out for and rather take a free flop. But, ofcourse that's just personal plays and all that.

But that was in no way a "desperate" move that had to be done, 'cause he wasn't even in last position.

EDIT: By the way, it's always a good play when you win though. If it's not a fish thingy.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Poker is shit anyway.

Its a game of chance, no real "skill" to playing it.

If wearing sunglasses indoors and looking like a tit is the new cool, God help us all :(

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Poker is shit anyway.

If wearing sunglasses indoors and looking like a tit is the new cool, God help us all :(

yeahhhhhhhhhhh urr..... right. Sure chance plays a big part of poker but to say there is no skill makes poor Thad sound like noobster. Infact i'll start spamming how much of a noob you are over MSN right now.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Playing in a live cash tournament at a house game yesterday I found through a friend who goes.

Here's the situation.

I pick up 9 10 (d) in big blind..I have an M of about 6 (6 rounds left at a table) so I am getting desperate.

There's a limper under the gun and a limper in mid position, they have both been aggressive all game raising on any pair 8+ and any 2 face cards.

So I smell weakness and with a medium holding a push all in. My stack is still damaging to the 2 players behind me so I feel its the best move to pick up the SB + 2 limps as my table image is that of a relatively conservative player.

Under the gun folds as expected, the second limper however goes "oh may as well" and goes all in (I have her covered by like 200)

She turns over A 7 Off suit..(So I was like wtf?? in my head) a bad play by her.

Flop comes 4 7 3

Turn comes 9

River comes 2

I win with a pair of 9's and knock her out, yey!

So anyway I go to shake hands (which in my view is a sign of respect and no hard feelings) she says no..I don't shake with fishes.

Now excuse me, I was fucking pissed off by this! 1 because in my opinion that's a severe breach of poker etiquette and 2 because how dare someone who called an all in with a7 off suit call me a fish!!

But also forgetting poker that's just disrespectful!

What do you think?

Needless to say I won't be attending the said event again..shocking.

Soo...... you busted an idiot who then abused you?

SHOCKING

THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE IN THE HISTORY OF POKER.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Poker is shit anyway.

If you don't like poker, why even open a thread about it to moan?

*grits teeth rather than make jibe about go spend time making some more crucifixes to set on fire*

Thadius

Part of the furniture
yeahhhhhhhhhhh urr..... right. Sure chance plays a big part of poker but to say there is no skill makes poor Thad sound like noobster. Infact i'll start spamming how much of a noob you are over MSN right now.

Ololol! Im "skilled" because I cleared all the cards in solitaire....

Next I will be gambling on Snakes and Ladders, because we all know that has to involve "skill"

Thadius

Part of the furniture
If you don't like poker, why even open a thread about it to moan?

*grits teeth rather than make jibe about go spend time making some more crucifixes to set on fire*

Because Gamah was moanign about "etiquette"

Some people take a game of chance too seriously imo :)

Over past 10 years it seems to have jumped in popularity

Gamah

Banned
Well, 6 rounds is still 6 rounds to get better cards.

But that was in no way a "desperate" move that had to be done, 'cause he wasn't even in last position.

Exactly, I was not super desperate which is why my play should of had no callers. It sounds like you would wait till you were always blinded away before making you move at which point your all in will scare no one and you'll get everyone who limped calling you increasing your chances to move.

I put them on a weak hand and made a move to pick up the pot. I defend it as a good solid play and I am sure people like Dan Harrinhton would agree ;)

On a side note I was playing in a UK top 200 comp this weekend.

I pick up K J and theres a riase from a loose player before me, im bb and call.

Flop comes 7 8 9

check

turn comes 10..straight

Player bets 3000 into me..I flat call (MISTAKE!)

River comes J

she bets 2k..at this point im fuming and know she has a queen but have to call anyway..

she turns over A Q..straight queen high..

The bitch picked up a 3 out'r to win the pot..hows that for a bad beat :<

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
urm... you have KJ

flop is 789

you call a bet of 3,000 - you nutter !! :)

- English -

Resident Freddy
May I ask how you guys play these hands:

8 8
7 7
9 9

I hate them so much, ALOT of potential to win big if you flop your 3 of a kind, but any upper card to turn is a killer. Tried bidding high but only for people to call me, and when that King , Queen or ACE flops i cant really stay in. Opinions?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Exactly, I was not super desperate which is why my play should of had no callers. It sounds like you would wait till you were always blinded away before making you move at which point your all in will scare no one and you'll get everyone who limped calling you increasing your chances to move.

I put them on a weak hand and made a move to pick up the pot. I defend it as a good solid play and I am sure people like Dan Harrinhton would agree ;)

Actually my play style is WAY different on that, but then it's different to yours too.

I don't like pre-flop all ins on unpaired low(and not much on any) hands, no matter if the others "seem" weak. 'cause what if the others limp in with a K pair? Or AJ? for that matter. It's ok to do those force out moves, but in the big blind, and knowing that flop might come anything, i would take the free flop and use the preflop info then.

But like i said, it's a different playstyle, but to me that was a bit silly.

Not as silly as calling after you know the other has a Q :D

Oldstude

Fledgling Freddie
So she was pissed because you took a risk, a gamble? Some people eh....

I hate bad loosers :twak:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Actually she was probably pissed because she lives in the same dilusional world as other players where ace - anything is a killer hand.

When in fact it's not that good.

Small kicker is often the downfall of all, same goes with flush hands.

That 910 diamond hand looks tempting, but what if(in the 70% or so times) there's only one diamond on the flop?

You also have a 50/50 chance of pairing that 910, but so is the other peeps with the KQJA hands.

Now, even if you do get two diamonds even on the flop, now you only need one diamond, but that only comes 33% of the time. Sure, it's a good odd, but still.

People are often mistaken on how "good" the hands really are. An A2 suited? Not that good, unless the flop hits. But if the flop hits, you might as well have it hit on a 72 :D

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I pick up 9 10 (d) in big blind

<snip>

She turns over A 7 Off suit..
<snip>

Worse case odds are HERE

Code:
Holdem Hi: 1712304 enumerated boards
cards    win   %win   lose    %lose  tie   %tie   EV
Td 9d  792516  46.28  911997  53.26  7791  0.46  0.465
7s Ad  911997  53.26  792516  46.28  7791  0.46  0.535

Basically it's a coin flop, hardly an all-in move by a fish :) Ignore the comments and keep playing the bad players who can't spot a perfectly good play.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Poker is shit anyway.

I'm not a poker player. I am useless at the game....but you are wrong.

Yes chance is a part of the game but it takes great skill to make the most of a "bad hand".

If it was nothing but chance then everyone would as much as everyone else but that doesnt happen.

I would find out more about the game before making such comments.

Gamah

Banned
urm... you have KJ

flop is 789

you call a bet of 3,000 - you nutter !! :)

No I had K J

Flop Came 7 8 9

After that she checked and I did the same turn came 10 making my straight..then she bet into me.

Gamah

Banned
Actually my play style is WAY different on that, but then it's different to yours too.

I don't like pre-flop all ins on unpaired low(and not much on any) hands, no matter if the others "seem" weak. 'cause what if the others limp in with a K pair? Or AJ? for that matter. It's ok to do those force out moves, but in the big blind, and knowing that flop might come anything, i would take the free flop and use the preflop info then.

But like i said, it's a different playstyle, but to me that was a bit silly.

Not as silly as calling after you know the other has a Q :D

As I said had the players had such a hand they would have raised ;)

+ Calling 2000 into a pot of 16000 was a must, because the player was more than capable of betting when she missed (as proven by her betting 3000 with ace high :p (pots odds anyone)

Thats a monster 7-1 on my money :p 2000, should I call and loose I still had enough to do damage and not be desperate

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom