Playstation 3 Details

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Sony have reviled details of the Playstation 3 and released a number of images showing its sleek design.

The PS3 will be released on November 11th in Japan. Europe, Australia and North America releases will follow on November 17th.

Two versions will be released, a low cost $449 (£269) version with a 20Gb hard drive and a high cost $599 (£323) option with a 60Gb hard drive.

Press Release

PLAYSTATION®3 LAUNCHES ON NOVEMBER 17, 2006 IN NORTH AMERICA
Equipped with Blu-ray and Pre-Installed HDD
United States: US $499 (20GB HDD) and US $599 (60GB HDD)
Canada: CAN $549 (20GB HDD) and CAN $659 (60GB HDD)

Los Angeles, May 8, 2006 – Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) announced today that it would launch PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3) in “Clear Black” in North America on November 17, 2006, as part of a worldwide simultaneous launch.

PS3 is the most advanced computer system that serves as a platform to enjoy next generation computer entertainment contents in the home, realized through the combination of Cell and RSX™ processors, in addition to the playability of a vast catalog of PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 software titles.

Having Giga-bit Ethernet and a pre-installed hard disk drive (HDD) as standard in PS3, users will be able to download a variety of contents as well as access on-line games and services over the network.

Equipped with basic input/output ports, PS3 supports a broad range of displays from conventional NTSC/PAL standard TVs to the latest full HD (1080i/1080p) flat panel displays, offering the joy of the most advanced computer entertainment contents to homes around the world. For use in living rooms, maximum heat and noise reduction has been achieved with a noise level equivalent to that of the current slim-line PlayStation 2.

With the overwhelming computational power of the Cell processor, PS3 is capable of playing back content from Blu-ray (BD) disc at a bit rate of multiplex 48Mbps with ease, the maximum bit rate defined in BD standards.

The new controller for PS3 has been created by refining and improving the world’s most popular PlayStation controller which has shipped more than several hundred million units worldwide. The controller for PS3 employs a high-precision, highly sensitive six-axis sensing system that is capable of processing all parameters within the controller itself, thereby eliminating the need for any additional settings on the display system. By applying this technology, it will become possible to freely control the PS3 system over the network.

While further enhancing the joy of entertainment on PlayStation 2 and PSP™ (PlayStation®Portable) system, SCEA will vigorously promote PS3 as the next generation computer entertainment platform.

Attachments

• ps31.jpg
    ps31.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 83
  • ps32.jpg
    ps32.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 80
  • ps33.jpg
    ps33.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 66
  • ps34.jpg
    ps34.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 78
  • ps35.jpg
    ps35.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 51

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
According to El Reg it will be 499 euros (£342) and launch on Nov 12 in Europe. Doesn't say if that price is inc VAT. Whatever, its still pretty reasonable for a BluRay player. Wonder how much stock there'll be?

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Stock wise:

Sony also claimed they hope to have 4 million consoles shipped by the 31st of December, and a further 2 million shipped by March 31st next year.

I'm betting the only way to get a PS3 is to pre-order one the day pre-ordering is offered :/

I'll check the prices. A number of sites are reporting different figures at the moment.

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
Microsoft for the win then.

Looks like they're trying to do both Microsoft (online stuff) and Nintendo (motion controller) and done a half-assed job as usual.

Considering the 360 will likely be half the price of the PS3 by the time it's launched then Sony look to be in deep shit.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I may have to get one for MGS4 im a huge fan of that series ive played everyone of the games to death completed MGS2 on european extreme!

We'll see though maybe sit outside Asda for 12 hours like last time.. it was quite fun actually :p

DaGaffer

gremlin said:
Microsoft for the win then.

Looks like they're trying to do both Microsoft (online stuff) and Nintendo (motion controller) and done a half-assed job as usual.

Considering the 360 will likely be half the price of the PS3 by the time it's launched then Sony look to be in deep shit.

Don't buy that argument at all. There's still very little on the 360 to make want to go and buy one (the best stuff like GRAW has come out on PC anyway) and the HD-DVD add-on they're doing is a cludge (they haven't mentioned the additional adaptor you'll need because the 360 doesn't have an HDMI connector). As for their online service, they actually seem properly committed this time; I doubt it will be as polished as Live! but it's not my first reason for buying a console anyway.

PS3 will have more first party titles than 360, better HD support, BluRay, and the brand. I think its way too early to say 'game over' for Sony. I'm not a Sony fanboy at all (in fact I had an Xbox and Gamecube and not a PS2), but I'm more tempted by this than I am by the 360.

Wonk

Can't get enough of FH
DaGaffer said:
(the best stuff like GRAW has come out on PC anyway)

It's not the same game afaik. They made it completly different for the PC.

"As for Sony’s online focus, Microsoft appeared confused. “They talked a lot about building an online community, which is something we’ve already established very well on Xbox Live. Surprisingly, they didn’t mention anything about their online gameplay structure.”

I like this comment :) shows how good Sony are at hyping their stuff without really having anything special

DaGaffer

Wonk said:
It's not the same game afaik. They made it completly different for the PC.

"As for Sony’s online focus, Microsoft appeared confused. “They talked a lot about building an online community, which is something we’ve already established very well on Xbox Live. Surprisingly, they didn’t mention anything about their online gameplay structure.”

I like this comment :) shows how good Sony are at hyping their stuff without really having anything special

I've been hearing some good noises about Sony's online plans - they're developing here in the UK, and things like 'game servers' (a rare beast indeed on Xbox Live) are part of the plan. The hard job they have is the seamless cross-game functionality of Live, but once you get past that and into the actual gameplay experience on Live, it ain't all that tbh.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Where's Ted when you want some insider info!! :D

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I really thought Sony would put on more of a show with all guns blazing but they seem to be taking a step backwards and seem to be taking notes from everyone else, the motion controller is a nice idea but the Wii just seems better, but its Bluetooth...how many packs of batteries are we guna need for 1hr of gameplay.

Price seems about right for the tech they are using but still a bit steap for me.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
I had an MS control pad on the PC that had tilt technology, I used it on a driving game until the novelty wore off after 20 mins and went back to using the d pad instead.

Wii will make much better use of it, I think PS3 just stuck it on there as an after thought?

I've watched a few E3 PS3 vids, majority are still too japanese style for me. (I like the concept of the eye toy and its card game but I would never buy a game like that).

Aada

Part of the furniture
I may wait off on buying one i know when i bought the 360 at launch the dry period for games was horrible until around february/march.

The 360 has a few killer titles for it now.. GRAW is much better on the 360 btw every review site has rated the PC GRAW low 80s.

Guess we'll see i won't write Sony off i will however write Wii off though as the UK customers are more PS3/360 people then Nintendo.

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
Why the hell haven't Sony taken the opportunity to release a decent controller? The dual-shock was ok in say, 1997, but these days it's really utter shite. It seems that Sony have just kind of gone "oh noes! everyone on tha intarweb hates the boomerang! quick, let's just quickly rehash the old one!".

The controller-S is/was the pinnacle of gamepads imho with the 360 controller very close behind.

God i'm starting to sound like a Microsoft fanboy, what's the world coming to?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
DaGaffer said:
According to El Reg it will be 499 euros (£342) and launch on Nov 12 in Europe. Doesn't say if that price is inc VAT. Whatever, its still pretty reasonable for a BluRay player. Wonder how much stock there'll be?
Tempted more by BlyRay player by the sound of things, which tbh isn't surprising because afaic the PS2 bumped up a lot because of its DVD playback, despite what people said.

stormrider

Fledgling Freddie
From what I've been reading the hard drive size is not the only difference between the two versions of the ps3. Lack of wifi, card reader and hdmi are what seem to be circulating

Also MS have announced that GTA4 will be excluse on the XBOX360, released on October 16th.

Aada

Part of the furniture
gremlin said:
Why the hell haven't Sony taken the opportunity to release a decent controller? The dual-shock was ok in say, 1997, but these days it's really utter shite. It seems that Sony have just kind of gone "oh noes! everyone on tha intarweb hates the boomerang! quick, let's just quickly rehash the old one!".

The controller-S is/was the pinnacle of gamepads imho with the 360 controller very close behind.

God i'm starting to sound like a Microsoft fanboy, what's the world coming to?

Ever heard the saying if it aint broke don't fix it? there really is no point changing the control pad when its comfortable and works well imo.

Same with Microsoft and the only change they made were the bumper buttons which was a great change.. the black/white buttons got annoying.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Dual Shock is an awful pad tbh. Just about services for Tekken but nothing else.

DaGaffer

stormrider said:
From what I've been reading the hard drive size is not the only difference between the two versions of the ps3. Lack of wifi, card reader and hdmi are what seem to be circulating

Also MS have announced that GTA4 will be excluse on the XBOX360, released on October 16th.

Well, GTA4 will be 'exclusive' for the month its out on 360 before PS3 arrives. It will be one of the PS3 launch titles.

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
Aada said:
Ever heard the saying if it aint broke don't fix it?
Yep, another one that springs to mind is "you can't polish a turd". Sony would do well to remember.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
exclusive? thought it will have exclusive live content but game will come out on both formats

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom