Playing DAoC on a 3g connection?

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Im in the army and wanna play DAoC with my guildies. Im considering various options here. One is getting a wireless repeater so that I can get the net on the base to my room (I get it to my room now, its just usually too unstable to play on).

The other option, that seems like much more fun, is getting a PCMCIA card that can connect to 3g. The thing is though, will that give me a stable connection for online gaming?

I got the idea just now, as I saw one of the phone companies in Norway has an offer were you pay 30 punds a month and get unlimited access, witch is the same price you would pay for a semi slow broadband connection.

Anyone got a clue?

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
you get time to play video games in the army? You should be training soldier!

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
Korax said:
Anyone got a clue?

I'd say no
My last job was programming software that ran on 3g devices or on lappys/tablets with 3g cards

I don't know what the connections in Norway are like, but daoc on the UK 3G network would LD consistantly at least that opinion is based on the 3G access we had at work.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Dunno how it is in Norway but i guess u can forget it tbh :/

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Well, in Japan where 3G originated, you get speeds of around 3MB/sec iirc (or is that 3.5G), so as long as the connection is uninterrupted it shouldn't be a problem.

Try it out! I know someone plays on 3G, was grouped with them the other day. No idea who though.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
well I cant imagine a service like that should be unstable. Gonna have to do abit more research. Either way, its nice to have net with you wherever you go.

And we usually get of at 16.00 so theres no problem to find time. Soldier training is gimped anyway: :\

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Just spoke to our comms guy here out of interest, he reckons that realistically you'll get about 100k/s over a 3g network.

Which is fine for DAOC, you just need to think about latency and lag.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Tears said:
Just spoke to our comms guy here out of interest, he reckons that realistically you'll get about 100k/s over a 3g network.

Which is fine for DAOC, you just need to think about latency and lag.
yup, and stability. :<

Olvoair

Fledgling Freddie
friend of mine plays it over 3g. he has some ld issues during the day but is usually stable in the afternoons. He lives in Sweden, far enough away in the woods to not get adsl ;)

Puppet

Part of the furniture
On the department at my work we use 3G sometimes for in-field people. Borrowed a lappie from one of em to try it, its playable and thats it. Pings around 200-800 which would be very annoying to play with it, I imagine.

Eithor

Fledgling Freddie
I'm the friend Olvoair speaks of ;)
Using 3G mobile connection as we speak.

Yes, it has some slight lag, playing melee toons (especially assasins, SB in my case) is pretty hard, but it works... and if a caster it's not really that noticeable i think.

My main char is a rr9+ Thane, best choice for me, both connection wise and flavour wise ;] , but playing warrior works as well, not as good though.

I'm apparently in some kind of "radio-shade" heh, only get 2 or 3 out of 5 dots, on my connection scale (34-64%), have same problem with my cellphone. I'm pretty sure that if i had 5 dots / 90-100% it would work even better.

Tried on a laptop i had, but wasn't not at all as good as on my ordinary comp.
Lots of ram and a nice gfx-card help as well. I dual log often, and ofc i take a "hit" connection/lag wise... But it works decently.

Btw now i get ld tops 1 or 2 times a day now(usually none), got a patch upgrade for the 3G connection program a month back, did help alot.

So the answer is, yeah it works :)

Dave J.

Banned
I've played daoc on both 3g, and with normal mobile 56-modem connection, and it runs fine - however theres a, at least, 1 second delay, which is kinda bad for rvr =/

Bone's

Fledgling Freddie
lol, was not wireless, but i played daoc on a telephone connection in greece on a dial up and my connection speed was 12.7kbps......... now thats what i call lagged to the max............................ attack a mob... wait 10 sec's..... hit once..... wait another 10 sec's..... hit again...... wait 10 sec's..... find myself dead

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
I'm playing by using Nokia N70 for connection on my laptop and it runs just fine. >300k/s in and >100k/s out for 10€/month, not too bad :p (this in Finland).

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I play all the time on a 3G laptop card, the big problem is lag, up to 2 secs and cycles from ok to bad all the time, upcoming HSPDA 3.5g should solve the problem.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Job said:
I play all the time on a 3G laptop card, the big problem is lag, up to 2 secs and cycles from ok to bad all the time, upcoming HSPDA 3.5g should solve the problem.
hmf. I guess that pretty much settled my mind. I have access to a wireless network, but its just somewhat crappy signal. I'll buy a repeater. Anyone know a good repater? Never even seen one. :E

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom