old.Gator

OK So how do you manage it.
I've downloaded a game file.
Called it demo_02.dm_67
Put it in a folder called demos
Put that in my UT folder
started up Quake then UT Mod
select demos from the ingame menu
double click the demo file (named as above)
............nuffink!
Using a Mac (OS9.2) by the way
Help anyone?

C

Crusader_

First, do you get any kind of error message? that might help track down the problem.

Second you say game file, I presume it was already a .dm_67 demo file?

If so then you don't need to rename it, just put it in quake3/q3ut2/demos , and do what you already did via the menu system. It should load like you were connecting to the server it was recorded on, except you have no ability to play, just watch. If you click anything while its loading or playing, or press a key, it will stop playing and take you back to the main menu.

edit: From the demos menu, you select the filename of the demo you want to watch, then click the play button. I don't think double clicking does anything constructive.

O

old.Gator

Game demos

Cheers Crusader,
These files are of this seasons UT league matches div2, week 1, from the ftp site and NO they are not coming down as dm.67 files, only as named in the ftp directory (ie bwq3utl aard v charlo ctf on austria.rar). The topmost download which are of type document not PC zip as are all the other matches, (which by the way work fine...no problems watching those marked as zip's after renaming them - demo_03.dm_67).
Those document types tho', I rename them to suit the conventions and it appears in UT ok but will not play. The screen that shows the demos list just goes dim (the whole screen goes sorta darker), I wait a couple of minutes to see if it goes anywhere but it locks up my Mac completely and I have to restart my computer.
There are no error messages...nada. :confused:

C

Crusader_

OK, first off, the demos are uploaded in archived & compressed form.

.zip are obviously zip files as can be opened with winzip and other such programs.

.rar are RAR archives and you need to open them with WinRAR or similar program.

both Winzip and WinRAR are easily found on download sites usually.

These archives will contain the demo file which will end in .dm_67 , which you then extract from the archive and put in the aforementioned demos directory.

You should never need to rename files from the barrysworld ftp really, as you've seen confusing formats can easily break programs and Windows :)

O

old.Gator

Demos Now playing at a Mac near ME!

Thanks for the input Crusader,
I've just d/l'd MacRAR to open those files, i'll check em l8r.

Just one puzzling thing and that's that all these download demos have long discriptive names as shown in the FTP directory and that's exactly as they appear on a Mac desktop, even AFTER un zipping. I could just add the .dm_67 to the already long name but choose to call em just demo xx.
On a Mac I STILL have to add the .dm_67 tho'. This maybe due to the cross platform nature but I thought I'd mention it here for any other Mac Users reading.
Again thanks for the replies, you were a great help.

O

old.Gator

Where am I?

Hi Cutie,

You know how you've called yourself something else
since the time of the 1st Aard convention....
Well Gator is my Q3A tag not my UrT tag ;)
If you'd turned up to the Sir Frag leaving bash
you'da known that.:clap:
But HEY...don't be letting on now y'hear :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread