Pity the poor friar

Deepfried

One of Freddy's beloved
Well it seems to me that my fav class is offically dead.
tried over last few weeks to get groups as deepfried failed <as usual>
and it gets kinda demoralising to keep dying to full groups or stealth groups each and every time
i think its time that the friar had something useful to offer in rvr as both other realms secondary healers have so much more to offer,only have to look at the number of active friars left out there i think its going down to less than 5 now
anyhow maybe i been having a bad day but hey after 2.5 yrs of playing friar i now just seem to be getting more and more frustrated
deepfried the solo friar

GimpStrole

Fledgling Freddie
Yes, thats true, I dont play my friar in RvR ever now, no point, cant get groups even though can hit quicker and faster than mercs but no det :/

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Same old story bud, there are 4-5 classes that fit into a decent group and the rest are left to rot. It has been the same since day one pretty much and I don't see it changing any time soon. The reason and the biggest problem with this game is that Mythic don't realise that the DAoC is so messed up because the player numbers are still being artifically boosted by players with active second/third accounts. They might get a shock if they actually examined thier records and saw how many people had left, then checked the number of second/third accounts. As it stands they think everything is okay because the customers levels haven't hugely decreased which you would have expected after almost 3 years (U.S.) since going live. The only time they will sit up and take notice is when the customers vote with thier feet and leave en masse.

Ginius

Fledgling Freddie
The real problem is, that it is called realm vs realm, but so much ppl cry for 8 vs 8 or 16 vs 16. If all realms go for a zerg, there would fit every class in, but there are problems with the zerg-whiners and the engine... :eek7:

Just my opinion so... :eek:

Oro

Fledgling Freddie
If someone actually took the thought to opt for 2FG and plan it, rather than 1, you'd find a lot more flexibility in classes.

I've got high hopes NF will fix a lot of these issues as you'll find a lot of people getting to fights a lot faster, bigger fights and more scope for non opted clases.

Reason I hope this?

Cuz otherwise I'm screwed :D

Ezteq

Queen of OT
its really stupid how they make all these classes and nerf them, i remember watching my bf play his friar he was lvl 40 chase this lvl 50 mid halfway across emain, i've duelled friars with my merc and they are hard buggers so i really cant understand why no one wants them in the groups, its the whole fotm thing i truely hate it bud truely i do, anyway wax your legs and go lvl your infil o_O

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Feel for you. Would love to play my matter cabbie but no one wants in pve or rvr. Least with the cabbie I can grab a couple of clerics and kill the mobs that just killed the fg who didn’t need me;)

Bloodhunter

Banned
secondary healer?

all friars just train on their stick and enh to pwn all and using power for end regen...

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Oro said:
If someone actually took the thought to opt for 2FG and plan it, rather than 1, you'd find a lot more flexibility in classes.

I've got high hopes NF will fix a lot of these issues as you'll find a lot of people getting to fights a lot faster, bigger fights and more scope for non opted clases.

Reason I hope this?

Cuz otherwise I'm screwed :D

Opt for 2fg is 2 lots of the same setup for 1fg and that is the whole problem bud sadly.

emma

Loyal Freddie
Bloodhunter said:
secondary healer?

all friars just train on their stick and enh to pwn all and using power for end regen...
And RvR shaman`s only spec Cave/Augmentation ? your point being ?

Secondary healing lines are generally shite, so most class's opt for damage increases instead. ie Friar > Staff, Shaman > Cave. Warden prefers the healing line in most cases and stick to low melee because they interupt well ;p

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Well hopefully with det nerf and 5 min purge Friars will become more viable in RvR.

However i still stand by the fact a Friar with bodyguard, Grapple and red Fire resists brings more to a current RvR group than alot of other classes.

TeaSpoon

Fledgling Freddie
Garok said:
Well hopefully with det nerf and 5 min purge Friars will become more viable in RvR.

However i still stand by the fact a Friar with bodyguard, Grapple and red Fire resists brings more to a current RvR group than alot of other classes.

Aye, I would argue, they are currently more usefull than an Armsman, if they have a few RR's under their belt.

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
Bloodhunter said:
secondary healer?

Yep, because with this spec I can PvE. If you aren't getting groups why could you spec PvP?

Brolundar

One of Freddy's beloved
Anyone tried a group of this content?

2 clerics
1 Friar
1 Mini
1 Mezz sorc
[insert 3 more peeps here]

I think too, a party of 2 fg would be very effective, if mixed setups.

While minstrel and paladin got nice new tools which made them more group friendly, friar only got some crappy self buffs to fix some design bugs.

Phusion

Fledgling Freddie
oink oink

HAVE NO FEAR PHUSION IS HERE!

friars aren't dead at all yet. got 43 k lwrps a few days back

and in new frontiers friars will get a few new goodies aswell.

this is what my friar will get in NF:

NF:

static tempest 3: 18sec ae stun.
det/5 min purge
bodyguard
grapple
high staff dmg
24% heat/matter/cold resists buffs
backup heals/resses
power leak + reduce end cost buff
38% haste
6 sec ae disarm

good? yes.

friars will become fotm ;)

Cathul

Fledgling Freddie
Bloodhunter said:
if you'd spec pvp you might get some grps?
And how is he supposed to level then?
Or do you hand out free respec-stones once he hits lvl 50?

Most of the time you don't even get groups in PvE, too as all people are crying for Paladins to deal damage. :eek7:

/Cathul

Martok

Part of the furniture
emma said:
And RvR shaman`s only spec Cave/Augmentation ? your point being ?

Secondary healing lines are generally shite, so most class's opt for damage increases instead. ie Friar > Staff, Shaman > Cave. Warden prefers the healing line in most cases and stick to low melee because they interupt well ;p

shammys only spec 27 cave for their AoE instant Desease a few spec hicgher but most comon spec is 27 cave 38 aug and rest mending btu in cant remeber how much that is atm im tooo asleep.

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
Bloodhunter said:
if you'd spec pvp you might get some grps?

Nah, then the 2nd reason kicks in, you have no det, buhbye.

Clerics can heal better, tanks can hit bigger. The only reason could be the resist buffs but that is not enough.

Thrunge

Fledgling Freddie
I'd really like something to aid my groupability now that doesnt require me to be RR5.

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Tafaya Anathas said:
Nah, then the 2nd reason kicks in, you have no det, buhbye.

Clerics can heal better, tanks can hit bigger. The only reason could be the resist buffs but that is not enough.

Heat/Cold resists more important than Det nowadays

Glerina

Fledgling Freddie
@Bloodhunter

If you'd start a high rej friar (rej > 25) just for pvp, you'd absolutely gimp either your damage or your survivability (or however it is called). Means you'd need to leave your staff spec or your enh spec low.
Soooo...if you'd leave your staff spec on a low level why wouldn't you take a cleric (who can heal MUCH better [due to instas, spread heals, higher value heals) over a friar in your RvR group? Enh surely wouldn't make up for that...
If you'd leave enh on a lower level you'd bring nothing to the group but damage (if you get spec buffs from a bb) and okish heals. But you'd loose significantly in the tanking area (low self absorb buff) and you'd have huge problems with end (low end cost reduce buff) and your resists would be gimped...Go figure

cHodAX said:
Same old story bud, there are 4-5 classes that fit into a decent group and the rest are left to rot. It has been the same since day one pretty much and I don't see it changing any time soon. The reason and the biggest problem with this game is that Mythic don't realise that the DAoC is so messed up because the player numbers are still being artifically boosted by players with active second/third accounts. They might get a shock if they actually examined thier records and saw how many people had left, then checked the number of second/third accounts. As it stands they think everything is okay because the customers levels haven't hugely decreased which you would have expected after almost 3 years (U.S.) since going live. The only time they will sit up and take notice is when the customers vote with thier feet and leave en masse.

Lol could not agree more :)

A game with 2 soon 4 expansions and 3 of them is 100% PvE expansion = dead time u have to waste to be able to play RvR. Such games will die. They have nothing to offer new players. I think it would be suicide to start play Dark Age of PvE Alot after "Catacombs" expansion is out. ( Myself and proberly others will quit playing if it turns out to be 4 months more of pure PvEing )
And ur also right about the BB/3rd acc's boosting the nummbers up/keeping them "stable" still, I got 3 acc's myself :m00: ... And I got them from players that quitted x<.

Brolundar said:
Anyone tried a group of this content?

2 clerics
1 Friar
1 Mini
1 Mezz sorc
[insert 3 more peeps here]

I think too, a party of 2 fg would be very effective, if mixed setups.

While minstrel and paladin got nice new tools which made them more group friendly, friar only got some crappy self buffs to fix some design bugs.

Well lacking DET isnt really fun in RvR :>

You will get rooted, snared and mezzed and even tho nowdays caster grps have 3x demezz chars often so always some1 that can demezz... only problem there is that mythics "little mini char map" is bugged to hell and when it should show 'blue' txt on the person(S) that are mezzed it rarely does :puke: !

Wich means you could get surrounded with hibs, get grappled then pbaoe'd to hell :x

Garok said:
Heat/Cold resists more important than Det nowadays

Especially vs hibs. HIbs got Warden for body/energy/spirit res. They got Druid for heat/cold/matter resist.

Alb grps need red heat resist and cold resist vs hib caster grps, Ench does energy pbaoe dmg and heat DD dmg, Elds does cold DD dmg and energy pbaoe dmg. And both DMG types ench can resist debuff = weeee DMG!

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Matriarch|Sneakers said:
Especially vs hibs. HIbs got Warden for body/energy/spirit res. They got Druid for heat/cold/matter resist.

Alb grps need red heat resist and cold resist vs hib caster grps, Ench does energy pbaoe dmg and heat DD dmg, Elds does cold DD dmg and energy pbaoe dmg. And both DMG types ench can resist debuff = weeee DMG!

Pretty much correct ... (most likely debuff group's)

Hibs = debuff base heat Nuke with 2x chanter 1x eldrich

Mids = debuff base cold Nuke with 2x SM 1x Runie

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Friar with bodyguard is very nice to have in a caster fg.

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
Any class work in RvR if you're willing to take the time to figure out how :)

Ariacs

Fledgling Freddie
I think friars are great, wish I didnt delete mine.

Personally I would spec him as support/utility class. 25rej, 49enh, 34 staff, rest parry(think thats correct)

25rej for backup healing, no, its not as good as clerics but its aswell as the 2 clerics in the grp.

49enh, resists buffs, self haste and end reduction buffs.

And be a battlemaster, for Bodyguard, End/powerdrain styles(can almost constantly spam due to end reduction buff) and grapple.

Damage from staff doesnt matter to much as its the effects of the end/powerdrain your mainly after.

Could even get the friar staff of the gods for more utility if you wanted, so hes get an AE unbreakable snare as most casters going for trald or tarts atm.

I would go for,

cleric * 2
Minstrel
Pala
Friar
Sorc
caba or sorc
caba

Same as most of the Mage debuff nuking grps atm, but you drop 1 caster for the friar, little less damage but you get more utility.

Stinko

Fledgling Freddie
Martok said:
shammys only spec 27 cave for their AoE instant Desease a few spec hicgher but most comon spec is 27 cave 38 aug and rest mending btu in cant remeber how much that is atm im tooo asleep.

Say What?
My RR5 sham is 39 Cave, 37 Aug, 4 mending.
Never ever heard of a 27 Cave shaman active in RvR

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom