Pink Floyd Sort Of a Thing

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
I have heard some Pink Floyd at my brothers now and then and recently I have lent some of his CD's and I am well impressed, including Dark Side of the moon being a quality choon!

What sort of other bands are there I am missing out in the genre time as Floyd?

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Darthshearer said:
I have heard some Pink Floyd at my brothers now and then and recently I have lent some of his CD's and I am well impressed, including Dark Side of the moon being a quality choon!

What sort of other bands are there I am missing out in the genre time as Floyd?

Floyd have a huge back catalogue that's well worth delving into. My personal faves are (In no special order):

Piper at The Gates of Dawn,
Animals,
Saucerful of Secrets,
Echos,
Atom Heart Mother ('Alans Psychedelic Breakfast' is terrific),
and Obscured By Clouds (Especially 'Whats Uh... The Deal?')

Avoid 'The Final Cut' and, IMHO, anything after it. Pink Floyd really lost the plot after the departure of Roger Walters. Oh, and don't bother with Walters' solo stuff either, he lost it too.

You might also want to check out some of Syd Barretts solo stuff. He fronted the band before Dave Gilmour but left quite early on. 'The Madcap Laughs' is a superb album.

You should also have a listen to the band 'Soft Machine'. 'Softs' is an excellent album if you can get hold of it. They have a huge back catalogue.

Getting a bit more recent, you have 'The Porcupine Tree'. Don't think much of them myself to be perfectly honest, but I've met people who love them.

If you can live without vocals, and don't mind the odd foray into dance music, you might want to check out some old stuff by The Orb. Really nice mellow ambient stuff that is very Floyd influenced. 'Little Fluffy Clouds' is a forgotten classic.

Oh, and give 'Gong' a go too. A bit jazzier than Floyd but it's very much along the same lines.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Darth, try:

Thin Lizzy
Deep Purple (metalhead is good)
Wings (greatest hits is prob best)

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
You need to check out The Mars Volta. Insane genius and according to many ppl it's what Floyd would sound like today.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Why has no-one mentioned Whish You Were Here? Blatantly a mile ahead of any of their other work, imo.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Jonny_Darko said:
You need to check out The Mars Volta. Insane genius and according to many ppl it's what Floyd would sound like today.

Not really, I don't think Pink Floyd were much fans of random crackhead shouting. Mar Volta are dire, took all of the bad elements of AtDi and added pretnetious self-important noise.

They should have taken the hint after a visit from death. (Not meaning to be harsh but they really are awful.) Bands like GYBE!, Mogwai, Sigur Ros etc are more like Pink Floyd than Volta... a lot more accessible too. And it doesn't hurt.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Not to mention that Pink Floyd are actually still technically in existence.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Swift^ said:
Why has no-one mentioned Whish You Were Here? Blatantly a mile ahead of any of their other work, imo.
Nah not really imo. Only Shine On and Wish You Were Here were any good, the other two tracks are painful to listen to. Either Dark Side or Meddle still edge it for me, probably Meddle. The good tunes are awesome (One of These Days and of course, Echoes) and the filler (of which you get shitloads of on any Floyd album) is all very listenable. Apart from maybe Seamus. That does suck. Hard.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Swift^ said:

Have to agree although this is in my top ten of all time :)

Animals
Saucerful of Secrets
Piper at the gates of dawn

I rate those also.

I would also advise not to listen to any Floyd post Walters - they are just not the same.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Ah. I seem to be the only person who rates The Division Bell then. High Hopes, Keep Talking and Wearing the Inside out are all top tunes imo. Most of the rest are good aswell, even if Take it Back does seem a bit TOO tailored for Virgin Radio for my liking.

maxi

Fledgling Freddie
everyone should own Don't Fear The Reaper by the Blue Oyster Cult

Tom

I am a FH squatter
There isn't a Floyd album that I dislike. Each has its own charm. Wish You Were Here is a great album for those rainy monday nights with the stereo turned up a bit, and it has the deepest bass I have ever heard on vinyl with that bit on side one between songs.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason is also a fantastic album, albeit poorly produced, it needs a bloody good hifi to get the best out of it. I think The Wall is their best album, Comfortably Numb contains the two best guitar solos ever, in the history of the world.

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
[TB] Benedictine said:
Blue Oyster Cult

Absolutely! Anything pre 1984, but partcularly the early 70's albums:

BOC
Secret Treaties
Some Enchanted Evening
Cultasaurous Erectus

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
I think The Wall is their best album, Comfortably Numb contains the two best guitar solos ever, in the history of the world.

Amen brother, the film is the perfect thing to put on in the background after a good night on the beers when you get back to the house and want to chill with a bifta. I own most of the floyd back catalogue on 12", pretty good condition too.

In answer to the original question, theres no band like the floyd ;)

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
lisafloyd06.jpg

mank!

Part of the furniture
Gef said:
Amen brother, the film is the perfect thing to put on in the background after a good night on the beers when you get back to the house and want to chill with a bifta. I own most of the floyd back catalogue on 12", pretty good condition too.

In answer to the original question, theres no band like the floyd ;)

The film depresses the fuck out of me. I made the mistake of watching it late one night when I was feeling really low and it didn't have a wonderful effect on my mood. It does make you view the film in a different light though.

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Its funny but I often find depressing films/music actually make me feel better about life.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Gef said:
Its funny but I often find depressing films/music actually make me feel better about life.

Aristotle theorized that catharsis (emotional cleansing) results from viewing a tragedy and explains why humans enjoy seeing dramatized pain.

Catharsis is a form of emotional cleansing first defined by the Greek philosopher Aristotle. It originally referred to the sensation that would ideally overcome an audience upon finishing a tragedy. The fact that there existed those who could suffer a worse fate than them was to them a relief, and at the end of the play, they felt ekstasis (literally, astonishment), of which the modern word ecstasy is derived from. While seemingly related to schadenfreude, it is not, however, in the sense that the audience is not intentionally led to feel happy in light of others' misfortunes; in an invariant sense, their spirits are refreshed through having greater appreciation for life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/tragedy

Anyway yeah, I have this all the time. Infact, it's seldom I can enjoy something cheerful since it often just bores me. Wierd how that works.

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
mank said:
The film depresses the fuck out of me. I made the mistake of watching it late one night when I was feeling really low and it didn't have a wonderful effect on my mood. It does make you view the film in a different light though.

Not the most cheerful of films. Downright spiteful in places. All the better for it though.

'The Wall' excellent album/film though it is falls, for me anyway, squarely into the 'heard it far too often' category. Along with just about every single Doors, Bob Marley and Beach Boys song.

Such a shame when that happens......

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom