PHP =)

O

old.Rico

I lub PHP. It doth rocketh verily. I'm a bit partial to MySQL too, but I'll have to head on over to the other forum for that... =)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yup,

gotta agree now that I am starting to use mysql/php for this board.

Having to go thru the code to figure out how it works has shown me some things I didn't know etc.

PHP really does shine when you have the Zend Optimizer installed as well (as this server does).

As for MySQL its nice but 1 glaring feature I would love to see is the ability to restrict a Database size from within mysql.

O

old.Rico

Actually, an email from a friend reminded me of a problem we did have yesterday. He's fixed it now, but yesterday none of the cookies on the site were getting set. The site had worked fine on PHP3, and failed on PHP4.

Why?

Becaue some muppet decided to change the order in which cookies are set/unset in PHP4. In PHP3 they were set in reverse order, which meant to set a new cookie you'd set the new value, then apparently delete it, but now they've changed it to the more logical "do it in the order it's written". Bah!

And MySQL could use transactions, which AFAIK it doesn't yet have.

M

MrChumble

cost

I take it this is a commercial forum from the same peeps who did UBB? Its really sweet - best non commercial one I've found is phorum which doesn't really cut it in the modern php world.
Is php available for BW hosted sites? IE can I use it to automate these %£"^*£ing results tables I have to do by hand each week ;)

-Steve

O

old.Rico

*cough*

Dunno about BW. I guess PHP can be made available seeing as this box is running it, but I supsect this is a separate box from the normal Web hosting. You might get to use ASP on that. Or PHP/MySQL if you ask really nicely -- they will both run fine on NT.

However you can get PHP and a MySQL database to yourself from either us (SavageUK) ;) or UKLinux. What results are you speaking about? If it's a BW league then I thought there was an automated, ASP-driven input system -- I'm pretty sure there was one for the old BWCTFL, and that was more than a year ago.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
MrChumble,

The whole hosting process is being redesigned.

I will be offering:

PHP4
MySQL
CGI
SSI
Email domains
Mailing lists
DNS hosting

Atm tho I am concentrating on the larger sites. If yours is a high visit site, contact me.

There are 5 dual p3800 768mb ram Linux boxes for all this :) with more to come if needed.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Simplest way:

A scripting engine similar to ASP (Active Server Pages) on NT.

Both have their pro's and con's

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Rico,

I take it Savage use PHP on NT?

If so, what precautions have you taken to isolate the user websites from interfering with each other using PHP functions?

When I last looked at implementing that security model it was a nitemare so I would be interested in hearing how you did it or indeed what security model you have in place.

O

old.Rico

No, Savage run PHP under Linux. However, I am running PHP
on NT on another project. To be honest I haven't had to
worry too much about the NT security model because the only
way user data get get in to my system is through a Flash
front end, and it is either inserted into MySQL databases
or FTP'd to another site behind the scenes using PHP.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by DBs
PHP really does shine when you have the Zend Optimizer installed as well (as this server does).

Can you tell more bout the above? Never heard of it I must say.

TIA m8

-tdc

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ok,

PHP is an intepreted script much like ASP is for NT.

What the zend optimizer does is compiles the script on the first load and keeps it in memory in a "binary" state.

When others connect to that script, it is not recompiled and then run, its just run.

Performance improvements range from 40% to over 400% depending on script contents of course.

Btw, new PHP out 4.03 but no Zend Optimiser support yet so I will hold off.

T

Testin da Cable

aha coo. Must lighten the load on your servers nicely then :)

-tdc

Users who are viewing this thread