photo comp deadline poll

as title

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
is the closing date of a given photo comp allowed some flexibility (within reason, and at the mod's disgression)?

comments are appreciated.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
The reason I voted 'no' because:

1) I'm a rule nazi.

2) More seriously, I went to some lengths (given my police probe) to get permission to photograph inside the mitchell library which had to happen at the weekend past and not this coming weekend as the deadline was the 29th. I cancelled plans to get to Glasgow to take the shot when I could have taken it this weekend afterall due to a last gasp extension. I felt a bit meh about that I have to say.

Maybe I'm taking it too seriously, but I do enjoy this thread with my fellow Freddies and by having a set deadline and set rules that everyone is working to (which is by no means a short deadline) then the expectation is set nice and early so that those of us that don't have appropriate pictures can get what we need - and if the deadline is too soon, then too bad.

Imo.

PS I've not quite managed a shot in time for the deadline, so this had applied to me on more than one occasion too :).

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
I'm hoping to get my shot tomorrow so I'm going to make the deadline :p unless I forget again.

TdC

guys I'm feeling bad about polling you without letting you know why I allowed the deadline change so here goes:

-tierk's recently joined our compo, I want to stimulate him (and everyone else (ooh errr matron, whatcha sailor, etc.)) to keep at it. also, perhaps most importantly, he asked me nicely.
-I am indeed often late to close/open/create threads, as mentioned in the thread, because my life and work are often hectic and chaotic, and I don't often manage things in ways to allow me to be here for you (poor excuse, I know).

now, I know that the deadline is part of the challenge and makes the compo more fun. I also realize that some may work very hard to make their pic in the allotted time, that they're just as busy as I am or more. that's why I specifically said it would be a one-off, and gave everyone an extra pic if they want it.

that's all.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
is the closing date of a given photo comp allowed some flexibility (within reason, and at the mod's disgression)?

comments are appreciated.

its your competition, you do with it as you please :)

if someone have issues then they can make their own ;)

if there was a million quid in the pot i might have had a different view, but as there isnt, and its all for fun i really cant see the problem if it means more ppl can take a few shots...

tierk

Part of the furniture
Ok firstly let me make my apologies for causing anyone aggravation with my request for more time, it was not my intention. If i knew to what lengths people are going to get pictures i would not have asked.

Secondly i also enjoy entering pictures in this competition immensly, as the level of some of the people posting on here is very high which is helping me to improve my own level of pictures a lot. I hope that people can see this in the improvements in my entries since i posted my first picture.

Personally i dont mind the dates being moved about a little here and there as it is not the end of the world, it is after all a friendly, non money making competition. If it is amajor issue for a majority of people then i would off course be more than happy to follow, whichever way the poll goes.

TdC

its your competition, you do with it as you please :)

if someone have issues then they can make their own ;)

if there was a million quid in the pot i might have had a different view, but as there isnt, and its all for fun i really cant see the problem if it means more ppl can take a few shots...

heh I prefer to think of it as "our" competition, eg rules can be changed or bent if there is support for it. I'm perfectly willing to be stricter, or not, as I don't compete anyway.

my view of the compo is that it's an "in it for the glory" kind of thing. there is no prize, but people enjoy showing their work and it's really true that anyone can win it. I've noticed a marked improvement in people's work, and some have gone out and upgraded their kit, or become more interested in photography in general which I particularly enjoy seeing.

old.user4556

Ok firstly let me make my apologies for causing anyone aggravation with my request for more time, it was not my intention. If i knew to what lengths people are going to get pictures i would not have asked.

Secondly i also enjoy entering pictures in this competition immensly, as the level of some of the people posting on here is very high which is helping me to improve my own level of pictures a lot. I hope that people can see this in the improvements in my entries since i posted my first picture.

Personally i dont mind the dates being moved about a little here and there as it is not the end of the world, it is after all a friendly, non money making competition. If it is amajor issue for a majority of people then i would off course be more than happy to follow, whichever way the poll goes.

There isn't any need to apologise Tierk, it's really not a big deal :).

Usually with changes to these things, those that participate in the competition get a say on changes to rules. For example, I think Tom asked about allowing HDR shots in the competition - it got thrown out by way of a democratic vote, probably because HDR photography requires a lot of skill with Photoshop (which not everyone has) to do properly or Photomatix if you're a lazy wannabe (plus I felt that the thread would get flooded with crap HDR shots which are so old). On the contrary, panoramic stiching got voted in (even though I don't like that either unless it's done right).

Ctuchik said:
its your competition, you do with it as you please

Not really. Tom founded the idea (and the rules iirc) and TdC kindly gives up free time to facilitate it. Also, see above.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
If a mod is taking the time out of their free time to facilitate this then they should be able to change the deadline according to their discression.

Yes we all have busy lives and yes there are some who work hard to get a shot ready for a deadline, but this is supposed to be a fun competition. Surely if that means waiting a few days because someone has been delayed or has requested the movement of a deadline then we can accomodate it.

Personnally I think we should do more to get new people in. Same old styles from the same old people. Yes some of the pictures are awesome and inspirting, but I wiould like to see pictures from other inhabitants of freddyshouse.

old.user4556

Personnally I think we should do more to get new people in. Same old styles from the same old people. Yes some of the pictures are awesome and inspirting, but I wiould like to see pictures from other inhabitants of freddyshouse.

I agree, that's why I picked a theme of "no theme" to get more people to submit anything, although it didn't attract that much more attention.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
I think it is because we have some awesome photographers people may feel a bit intimidated.... I know I do sometimes..

old.user4556

I think they're mutually important to achieve the best.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Im waiting for my mate to put the photos on facebook, ready to be stole!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I think they're mutually important to achieve the best.

Well yes, but an interesting subject matter taken 'poorly' is of greater interest than a complete dullard show of technical 'ability'. So people really should not be intimidated by what they see as technical ability, as a good subject matter will make a better impression to non-gullible people.

milou

Part of the furniture
An 'interesting subject matter', even to those 'poor gullible souls' taken in by a photographer's passion, is always subjective. I've never seen a photograph that exhibits 'pure technical ability' alone, as when making an image, a photographer is presenting an abstract of the world which they find interesting.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I've seen a lot of incredibly nothing photos that are technically great but have no subject. There's a lot of them about these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom