Performance

Stunned

Fledgling Freddie
What performance should i be looking at with the following setup ?

AMD Athlon 2000+ processeor
512 MB ddr memory RAM
Nvidea FX 5700 LE gxf card
adsl internet connection.

I have the latest drivers afaik.

I find my performance very bumpy when in crowded areas, when meeting another FG for instance I lose maybe a second of time because the computer starts act slow.

In crowded keeps sometimes I can barely move around. I have almost the lowest settings in game.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Upgrade the ram to 1gb if you can, the gfx card isn't that great either, but upgrading the ram gives a good performance boost.Find out what speed ram you have simply by opening pc up then pulling a stick out and see if there is a label with it's speed on it.(or in bios usually under cell menu or even 3d mark 2001/2003/2005 will give system info)

Once you find the speed get another stick with the same speed(make sure it's 184-Pin DIMM module too) and just simply slot into your motherboard.This will cost about £50 i imagine in the uk, as for upgrading the gfx card, if you wanted a very good one for the cash there's a 6600GT on www.overclockers.co.uk for £145 or so(6800LE on there for £150 is good too if you can mod it to 12 pipelines)

Your cpu is a bit low too, can overclock it if you find someone who knows how to, this can give a good boost too for no cost extra really.(well you may need a good cpu cooler for about £20 or so)

But best choice is finding ram speed and upgrading it to 1gb, this is also most easiest.If you got enough cash for a new gfx card then the one i stated is very nice.

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
My wife's machine has similar specs (except AMD XP1800 instead), the only real difference is the fact she has a high end graphics card...she doesnt get much lag..and any she does get i could easily put down to only having 512 MB ram being the main cause.

anyway..my point is RAM needs upgrading first..then graphics card if you have more probs..leave the CPU for last definately.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
TBH that system should perform fine as is. Yes the parts are not top knotch, but spending a fortune on new parts should be your last resort, not first.

There are various tweaks on your GFX card, operating system and hardware that can boost your performance greatly.

Firstly, try turning off what you dont need in game, like shadows, water and trees. The are just eye candy and dont affect the playablity of the game. You can also adjust the precaching of skins. Check what resolution you run at too.

Secondly, take a good look at whats running in the background of windows, try and limit whats running behind DAoC as much as possible. You can see whats running in the task manager.

Defragging your HD will also affect performance, use software like Diskkeeper 9 to keep fragmentation to a minimum. Disk access speed can affect the game immensly.

Currently there are also issues with server and connection lag that can also affect what you see.

So before you take out a mortgage on a new PC, just try maxing out the one you have.

Sycho

Can't get enough of FH
Neffneff said:
anyway..my point is RAM needs upgrading first..then graphics card if you have more probs..leave the CPU for last definately.

Yep, since daoc really takes A LOT of memory usage, 1gb should certainly make a good difference.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
if you ever did decide for a new cpu, try looking at a64 winchester 3500+, very nice perf and cheap as well.

Skidlee

Fledgling Freddie
I have seen DAoC using upto 800mb in taskmanager on my system before i added another 512MB to increase to 1GB it was choppy when new players came into view.. now even with a HUGE zerg on screen it playable, i am only using ATi 9800pro 128mb, AMD64 3000.

Add more RAM and DAoC will be great atleast thats what i have found.

GL and HF

MrCeill

Fledgling Freddie
Unfortunately DAOC's engine (Well the TAO engine at least) is, well, very bad in my opinion.

My machine is more than capable of running games, perhaps not at maximum settings, but i can play any of the latest games very smoothly at the correct settings. Yet DAOC stands alone.

Daoc Classic = Runs fine @ 1280x960
Daoc SI = Runs a little choppy @ 1280x960
Daoc ToA = Runs crap at any setting
NF = Unplayable

I just hope i dont have to add Catacombs at the bottom of that list. It really annoys me when i play games such as HL2 at medium gfx settings, yet Daoc runs hell of alot worse than HL2, with graphics that are twice as bad.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
MrCeill said:
Unfortunately DAOC's engine (Well the TAO engine at least) is, well, very bad in my opinion.

My machine is more than capable of running games, perhaps not at maximum settings, but i can play any of the latest games very smoothly at the correct settings. Yet DAOC stands alone.

Daoc Classic = Runs fine @ 1280x960
Daoc SI = Runs a little choppy @ 1280x960
Daoc ToA = Runs crap at any setting
NF = Unplayable

I just hope i dont have to add Catacombs at the bottom of that list. It really annoys me when i play games such as HL2 at medium gfx settings, yet Daoc runs hell of alot worse than HL2, with graphics that are twice as bad.

1gb of ram with nf really helps

Currently have 1.5 in my main system and 1gb in my 2nd system, both play nf fine

Specs :

A64 3000
ATi 9800 pro
1.5gb DDR 400 memory (single channel, socket 754 :/)
2 x 200gb maxtor diamondmax 9 hard drives (8mb cache)

NF running at 1600 x 1200

pc2 :

Athlon 2000+
ATi 9700 pro
1gb ddr 333 memory
1 x 160gb seagate barracuda hdd

NF running at 1280 x 1024

Both play fine without any problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom