People say (and do) the darndest things

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
I think a lot of people here know about (if not seen, at least heard of) the TV-show called "Kids say the darndest things". The show where Bill Cosby gets kids to say all kinds of weird things. It's kinda cute when kids say weird things, but when adults (or teenagers) do, they sound kinda stupid.
We've all most likely said or done stupid things at times, and most of us has definitely been told, overheard or seen people do stupid things.
I have a couple of stories I wanna share with you guys, so I made this thread. Go ahead you too and post those darndest things you've heard, seen or said.

Here are mine:
First, some background info: I am an IT-consultatn and work with support, maintenance user administration etc. I live pretty far from my office, so I have to use public transportation (train and subway) every day.

The first story is a support story from work, and a "do" story:

A woman was complaining about the headphones not working on her computer (we have a program to teach users basics in MS Office and Windows, which uses sound). I went to this woman and was gonna check this out. I started the program and no sound in the headphones, so I automatically reached for the volume controller (the kind attached to the cord of the headphones) and turned it up. Voila, there was sound. The woman was very happy with this, but she had another problem. Her mouse was broken she said. Well, I had just used the mouse to start the program and had no problems with it, so I told her to show me what the problem was.
She sat down at the computer, started moving the mouse up and down on the mouse pad and said: "See? No matter how much I move it up and down I can't get the arrow thing down to the Start button." Already at this point I wanted to laugh out loud, but managed to restrain myself..
Me: "And you're sure you don't do anything wrong? You're sure the mouse is broken?"
The woman: "Of course I'm not doing anything wrong. I've been working here for 2 months and have used the computer every day. The mouse has always been broken though."
Now I was wondering how she had managed to do anything at all during those 2 months.
Me: "Is this your first job where you have to use a computer?"
Woman: "Oh nooo! I've been using computers for years."
Me: "Computers with mouse?"
Woman: "Oh yes!"
I was nearly cracking up inside at this point, so I figured I'd stop "playing" and "fix" the problem for her. I turned the mouse 45 degrees to the right on the mouse pad, and said: "Try again now. But this time keep your index finger over the left mouse button instead of your thumb."
She tried the mouse again and exclaimed happily: "Ooooooh! Now it works! How did you fix it?"
Me: Well, I just placed the mouse in the right direction. There's no wonder you couldn't get it up or down when you kept moving it from side to side."

A "say" story. The overhearing kind. (Don't "educate" kids if you have no idea what you're talking about.)

The other day, on my way home from work, I was waiting for the train to arrive when a young boy (maybe 6 years old or so) and what I think was his mum sat down next to me. Some sparrows were on the ground in front of us eating some crumbles.
Boy: "Ooooh! Look at the cute birdies."
Woman: "Yes dear"
A pigeon came along and started to eat too.
Boy: "Oooooh! Look at the mummy."
Woman: "No dear. That's not a mummy. That's a sea gull."
Me: :eek7:

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well...i think any thread with the word Seel in the topic counts as a "darndest" thing to write.

On starwars though, people were discussing prefessions and it went something like this:

Dude1: I was thinking about going for the entertainer, and then image designer.
Dude2: Good way to make cash that, i want some action though...boring that ID stuff. I'm definetly going for the Master of Teraskasi.
Seel: I'm going commando.
Dude1: ...
Dude 2: ...

Still use the line whenever i can.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
dont know if this is actually true or not but saw on a website about famous folks and stupid quotes old mariah carey said something along the lines of this...." every time i see on the news about those kids in africa i cry, i'd love to be that thin but with out all the flies and stuff"
like i said dont know if its true but man did i laugh.
also when i was a kid my mum was making cakes and wanted some powdered coconut i went to shop for her and asked for decapitated coconut please, at the circus saw these girls who could bend in all kinds of ways "mum are those abortionists?" and for years i beleived arnie's sword and sorcery char was called Colon the Barbarian! though this was topped when i was round a mates place years ago and her little boy wanted to watch "colin the librarian".
btw that woman with the upside down mouse...i swear that wasnt me!

Binky the Bomb

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm dumb tings being said. This could take a while to sift through.

Was sat in picadilly gardens a few years back, with a friends and a group from a night club. It was about 7 in the morning (all night club, and no bus till daybreak), so were all sat around till the buses started up properly. Episode one was just out, so we all had lightsabers, and a battle ensude with all the blokes taking part, whilst all the women watched us making asses of outselfs. One guy took a double edged in the knackers (balls, scrotum, pink torpedo, whatever you call it), hit the deck and said "someone get me Yoda, she can heal me."
All eye's turned to his GF who was looking rather embarised at this time, who proptly got up, dragged him off and shouted at him. Turns out she did a rather good impression of Yoda, whilst in bed (yeah, he told us willingly btw), in an attempt to impress us, which it did after a fashon. Odd man.

They actually got married in a Starwars ceremony, she Was the Princess, He was Solo, the best man was Chewy and the preist was Obe-wan. The Groom and Brides fathers had to dress up as Vader and Luke skywalker. God knows what the honeymoon was like.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Told this before, but isn't everything I post recycled.

My mates girfriend was getting real pissed off that I kept winning at trivial pursuit, so I let her pick any question to ask for the final move, she went through the whole pack, then asked

'Name an American desert beginning with C,....shit I'm like no idea, death valley......no, sierras...no, I gave up there is no frekin desert in america beginning with C!!
'Do you give up she asks?'
'yes'
She smugly announces the answer......CHEESECAKE!!!!

work it out yourself.

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
Some really good ones coming here..

And lol Job.. ;) Big difference between desert and dessert. ;)

behatch

Fledgling Freddie
I also like the fact she choose that question out over the rest :eek7: or ive not understood somthing ;)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
a girl everyone hated at school once called me and my friends 'a bunch of loners'. She also once said to me; 'Get a life. Oh i forgot, you don't have one."

She never was the sharpest tool in the shed.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
behatch said:
I also like the fact she choose that question out over the rest :eek7: or ive not understood somthing ;)

well.. as Desert (the one u eat after dinner) and desert (that big sandy dry stuff Sahara is made off) sounds pretty much the same if u deliberatly pronounce them abit wrong :)

and as theres no desert (sandbox) that begins with a C...... ;)

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Aoami said:
a girl everyone hated at school once called me and my friends 'a bunch of loners'. She also once said to me; 'Get a life. Oh i forgot, you don't have one."

She never was the sharpest tool in the shed.

arghh so dumb ><
wouldnt be suprised if she's in a shed now with sharp tools ><

Ezteq

Queen of OT
Delket said:

O....M.....G did you know that already or spend a while searcing for one lol?

was chatting to a guy (who was supposedly a fisherman) one day about sharks told him i'd seen a basking shark once telling him how cool it was etc he then told me how lucky i was to have survived as they are nasty buggers big enough to eat a human (he went on like this for a while, he'd been doing that the whole time like "i know everything and am going to share it all with you you lucky lucky girl!") i kinda bit down a grin and just walked off

(for those of you who dont know basking sharks are the 3rd biggest shark i believe and have no teeth , they live on plankton and are perfectly gentle)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Actually it's dessert...two s's for the pudding.

Get a life..oh I forgot you don't have one :)

Pure class

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom