PC shutdown during virus scan

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
What would be the causes of your PC shutting down immediately (no warning) during a complete AV system scan ? Its done it twice now and I'm a little concerned.

Antivirus: NAV2006 Pro
Spyware: SpyXsoft
CPU: Intel 3.1GHz
RAM: 512
Gfx: Geforce 440i Titanium
Hard: 180 GB

Any suggestions greatfully received. Thanks.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
One guess could be faulty or insubstantial PSU. If your PSU is unhappy your machine may turn itself off in times of stress.

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
does it Only shut down when you are virus scanning?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Yep. Only when virus scanning. Seems to be in the same place too.

I didn't get a chance to note down where it reached (a) didn't have time (b) was daydreaming - watching AV scans not the most fascinating ways to spend time ;p

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Try booting into safe mode and doing a full scan.

Karl

Fledgling Freddie
Ok well then its probably a virus... did you make the boot up disks when you installed your virus checker?

If not see if you can find the option to make them and then run the disk... this will scan your PC before the virus has been activated... should hopefully solve the problem.

Yes or try booting in safe mode

Herjulf

Banned
never heard of any viruses acting that way thoug, heard of viruses so new the arent detected, then disables antivirus programs.

My guess is, it reaches a file of some sort at one point it tries to scan, but is unable to open it becaue antivirus have to load a handler of some kind. And that handler is corrupt or broken and causes the scan to hang/crach the system.

Try to do a low lvl scan and not scan compressed files.
or simply
Remove antivirus and reinstall it.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'll try these ideas out at the weekend and see what happens. Thanks a lot guys.

Aiteal

Can't get enough of FH
keep a command line open and type

shutdown -a

that will stop the system from shutting down

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
How do you reverse that (ie allow shutdowns) ?

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
AFAIK shutdown -a is a one of deal IE it cancells an impending shutdown should not prevent you from shuting down indefinatly?

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Is the system overclocked, and what wattage psu are you using, sounds like a hardware problem to me... might be wrong though
Also have you tried updating all your virus checkers stuff and windows update, and tried any free virus checker to see if it has the same affect?

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Yeke said:
AFAIK shutdown -a is a one of deal IE it cancells an impending shutdown should not prevent you from shuting down indefinatly?

Shutdown -a is ABORT shutdown, not disable. It's the best temp fix for any DCOM RPC related virus. (Blaster, etc)

3.1ghz? Did intel even do a 3.1ghz processor? 3.06ghz maybe, anyhow:

If its during an AV scan then its likely to be hdd related since its the hdd and not the cpu that is stressed during scans (At least with my AV software)

Also make sure NAV2006 has full media centre (is it 2005 or the older version your using?) support. If a reinstall doesn't work, try another piece of AV software. (I personally recommend NOD32.)

Gahn

Resident Freddy
To make sure it ain't some sort of virus, boot in safe mode with network support and run an online antivirus (McAfee or Symantec).
Also it gives u some warning before shutting down or it simply turns off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom