PC problems

Yoshimo

Fledgling Freddie
well finally got that new pc. assembled it all and installed operating system. everything was going fine until i started playing games and then:

DSC00001.JPG

I suspect it was gfx card related as it only happens when in the character select menu where fps jumps up to over 100 for some random reason or when in game doing alot of graphics heavy activity, but i'm no expert so can't be sure.

anyone have an idea what the cause may be?
already tried:
-different version of GFX card drivers
-flashing mobo BIOS with update
-disassembling/reassembling each part

still having the same problem tried everything i could think of.
any help would be very appreciated.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Asus A8N mobo by chance? Had the same thing myself.

Lots of people seem to get this and put it down to nforce drivers, the message implies your serial ATA drivers have done something naughty.

Think I fixed it myself by turning off onboard sound and getting a soundcard instead.

Yoshimo

Fledgling Freddie
Asus P5NSLI. told its a good model in a few other tech forums

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
nvata.sys is your nvidia sata driver which apparently has a known issue, maybe get new mobo drivers from asus?

Although Boni got his working im not for disabling a device to get another working (it doesn’t really solve the problem) but it might be a quick win for you.

You could Google nvata.sys for other fixes that may be more appropriate for your system.

Cromcruaich

Can't get enough of FH
Mmm, not done this for ages, and its an inexact science but try the following.

Moving cards into different PCI slots and forcing an ESCD update through the BIOS (this is a long shot)

In device manager look at what IRQ's are getting shared with your serial ata controller, and assign anything that is shared to a different irq (that you can).

Easiest way to do this is in device manager, choose view>resources by type and expand interupt request (IRQ) to get the IRQ list.

Good luck.

Yoshimo

Fledgling Freddie
ok think i have that problem fixed, however now i have another one.

when in a graphics heavy environment after a while the game suddenly starts locking and unlocking, during which period my temperature monitors for the CPU, MB and GPU are all coming back normal and eventually the game either kicks me back to windows and ends daoc or the pc freezes. I suspect there is overheating involved on the graphics cards memory. Any way for me to be certain without physically touching it? if this is the case is it grounds for returning the card? would prefer to get it working than return it. its MSI 7900 GTO from ocuk

Yoshimo

Fledgling Freddie
and original blue screen message is back again

Yoshimo

Fledgling Freddie
yes, both original and updated ones from asus

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
try and increase the PCI power from auto to heavy (not sure think it might be under SLOT POWER)

need to know the following about your system

sound card make model
graphics card make model
Powersupply (400w, 500w, 600w etc)
CPU
RAM

if you are using onboard sound, LAN, Graphics etc.

Sounds like a PCI conflict with teh mobo somewho

:m00:

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Disable all that u can disable as onboard thingies, also since it seems that sata driver is fucked up (if possible) go back to ide maybe.

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Yoshimo said:
well finally got that new pc. assembled it all and installed operating system. everything was going fine until i started playing games and then:
I suspect it was gfx card related as it only happens when in the character select menu where fps jumps up to over 100 for some random reason or when in game doing alot of graphics heavy activity, but i'm no expert so can't be sure.

anyone have an idea what the cause may be?
already tried:
-different version of GFX card drivers
-flashing mobo BIOS with update
-disassembling/reassembling each part

still having the same problem tried everything i could think of.
any help would be very appreciated.
Swap the card around between slots if you can - i had this problem a long time back now (6 months +), moved it between slots a few times, turned it off and on a bit and poof no problems at all next time it started up. /Shrug sorry i can't be more help but i'm from the computer repair school of "poke it and see what happens".

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Whenever you assemble a PC (even with brand new parts) do some diagnostic tests first before installing an OS like Windows. You might have a defect RAM module. Windows boots with defect RAM modules (especially when the 2nd one in a bank is defect) and low profile applications work "just fine". Well random data in RAM can lead to random results, e.g. some vital parts of the system like kernel drivers might crash the OS.

Download memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com and run it from a bootable floppy disk or a CD.

My old PC has shown similar behaviour to yours, the fan of the mainboard chipset has died and I didn't notice until it was too late, so check all your fans while the machine is running as well (might not apply if you have a PC assembled from new parts).

Yoshimo

Fledgling Freddie
pentium core 2 duo 2.13GHZ
Asus P5NSLI mobo
Akasa AK-P050FG8-BKUK 500W Green Power 80+ OcUK
MSI GeForce 7900 GTO SILENT 512MB
NEC ND4571 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer LabelFlash ReWriter
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 2500KS SATA-II 16MB Cache
- OEM
OCZ Gold PC 5400 Dual Channel kit 2 X 1GB

Yoshimo

Fledgling Freddie
lol, just ran windows memory checker. its not even funny how badly the ram failed. will post screenshots in a while. it looks as if it was the one sector of memory that failed every single test

Yoshimo

Fledgling Freddie
the windows memory test consists of 6 different tests on the ram
it runs multiple times for consistancy.
on the first test, it passed the first 5 tests and failed on the 6th.
on the second test, it passed the first 3 and failed the last 3
on the third test, it failed all 6.
OCZ ftw
OCZ ftw2
it seems the 7th hex number on every test was different when the tests failed, wonder if its possible to track the problem from that, from the screenshots it looks like it was set to zero each time but it actually just a coincidence. it varied quiet a bit

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Told you :).

The last two times I bought new parts for a PC one of the DDR2 667MHz RAM modules was defect. The first PC didn't boot at all with the defect module, the 2nd did, but it was super dodgy, with similar behaviour to the behaviour of your PC, just under Linux (various kernel/driver/app errors).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom